Engine Exchange

More
31 Oct 2012 21:22 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Engine Exchange
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Engine Exchange

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Andy & Ann Hallen:

Does anyone have any idea's about putting a v8 diesel in my Oka, type, pitfalls, good dealers? Thanks, Andy
April 4, 2010 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Alister McBride:

Gday Andy,
Probably the people to talk to would be Paul Nott or Peter Furlong (who has done the conversion before i think). Speaking with someone in WA who has one and was doing the conversion to a few other OKA's he raved about the conversion as having more power, basically the same highway fuel economy (with the ability to go 120km instantly). He's putting in tranny and engine oil coolers and a bigger radiator as he's in Newman (pretty hot) but i've heard of people not bothering. He's picking up the complete engine and tranny for $9700, i'm not sure if that is good or not just putting it out there... Give me a call if you want the name and number (i'm not sure whether he'd want it published...)
Cheers,
Alister
April 4, 2010 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Joe Baz:

Andy, Rod Lyons fitted a Chev 6.5 L diesel coupled to a TH400 auto (I think) running thru a Nissan Patrol transfer, this was done a while back and he is very happy with it, Mark's adaptors have the gear for such conversion go on to their website, I think all you need to supply is the engine and for that Brunswick Diesel have fully recond 6.2 and 6.5 diesels, a 6.6l Duramax with the Allison 1000 will be the ideal if you can spare the $$$$
cheers
Joe
April 4, 2010 at 10:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From David Hallandal:

Yes, Don't put a V8 in, they're not reliable, parts are hard to get hold of and expensive. Get a better 4 cylinder motor or a straight six.

The best person to speak to is Paul Nott. on motors. He was talking about a 140HP Perkins(?) 4 Cyl.
April 4, 2010 at 10:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Joe Baz:

It's hardly worth the effort of replacing the 4 cyl with another 4, unless you like me hate oil leaks, you will be hard pushed to fit a 6 without chopping and changing cross members, out of the V8 Chevs was only one series that caused a few headaches that was well documented and changes were carried out.

Also you will be hard pushed to find a Japanese 4 cyl with a higher torque than the Perkins. If you want conventional injection without all the electrics a 4BT Cummins is not a bad go as can safely be run at 180 hp with long life results.
Cheers
Joe
April 4, 2010 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Robert Hancock:

Duramax 6.6l with Allison 1000 auto from a Silverado will fit, but a lot of work and expense. Superb vehicle once completed.
April 4, 2010 at 10:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From David Hallandal:

I have a bell housing and flywheel to suit a V8 chevy engine conversion in the back of the shed if that helps.
April 4, 2010 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Lloyd Hoskin:

Hi Andy, I am currently fitting a brand new Perkins 135hp 4 cyl with an extra large intercooler. The bore, stroke & block are the same so it bolted in fairly easily but all the accessories are totally different so a lot of adapting has been necessary. It's got a bigger wastegated turbo that I'm told will run at about 16psi, a higher pressure Bosch injector pump with 6 jet (instead of 4) nozzles, high performance pistons, inbuilt hi volume air compressor and a counter balanced crank. Apparently it was built to Volvo specs (which I've been advised is not uncommon as Perkins make engines for several different companies that re-badge them as their own) and part of a large order sent to the USA and this one was surplus to their needs so found its way to Australia. It will be on the road in a week or so and I'll let you know how it goes. I did contemplate the V8 option but the pockets are only 'so deep' and this cost about the same as getting the original rebuilt. Cheers Lloyd.
April 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Paul Scherek:

Hi Lloyd,
Now that sounds VERY interesting! Are any more of these engines available, or did you just get a one-off for Australia? Very much looking forward to reading your impressions.
Cheers,
Paul
April 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Lloyd Hoskin:

Hi Paul,
I'm led to believe that there aren't anymore of that shipment available but if you talk to Paul Nott from East Coast OKA he might have some clues, able to provide a modified change over or maybe something readily available. I'll be posting the perfomance report of the finished project in the next few days - lets just hope its positive!
Cheers Lloyd
April 4, 2010 at 10:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Paul Scherek:

Thanks Lloyd,
Looking forward to that report. I am particularly interested to know if it is much smoother with the counter balanced crank.
Cheers,
Paul
April 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brendan Eblen
To Andy & Ann Hallen,
My OKa is an 1996 LT Coach used for tours into areas of SA. I have retained my original Perkins engine, dyno output was 58 kw, fitted an Intercooler this improved output by 10 kw, out of interest I ran the OKA on the dyno without the aircleaner element this gained another 2kw. Since then I have fitted a new larger turbo (Garett) with another 10kw improvement also at the time replumbed the air delivery to the turbo. I agonised over the motor swap options, I am very happy with the overall improvement the OKA can maintain 100kph loaded on most roads when required with some power to spare. My engine has just clocked up 400k runs extremely well. This vehicle is now for sale.

hope this is helpful
Brendan
April 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
Brendan Eblen at 09:35PM on Apr 04, 2010
To Andy & Ann Hallen,
My OKa is an 1996 LT Coach used for tours into areas of SA. I have retained my original Perkins engine, dyno output was 58 kw, fitted an Intercooler this improved output by 10 kw, out of interest I ran the OKA on the dyno without the aircleaner element this gained another 2kw. Since then I have fitted a new larger turbo (Garett) with another 10kw improvement also at the time replumbed the air delivery to the turbo. I agonised over the motor swap options, I am very happy with the overall improvement the OKA can maintain 100kph loaded on most roads when required with some power to spare. My engine has just clocked up 400k runs extremely well. This vehicle is now for sale.

hope this is helpful
Brendan
Hi Brendan,

I would be interested to know what intercooler you fitted, what hassles there were and whether anything else was done to contribute to the 10Kw gained?

10Kw would just make all the difference!

Cheers,

Paul
April 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
I intercooled our XT196 in 2005, plus fitted an exhaust pyrometer.
The intercooler allows more fuel to be injected and the pyrometer ensures that you get it right.
Unlike Brendan, I did not measure before and after performance, but it was sure noticable.

Cheers,
Peter
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

April 5, 2010 at 11:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brendan Eblen
The intercooler was all it took for the 10kw improvement. Had it fitted so I had no problems. Auto Sport Engeneering did the job in Edwardstown SA
April 6, 2010 at 5:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
Thanks Peter, thanks Brendan. Sounds like an intercooler is a quick and easy way to get a bit more power.
Cheers, Paul
April 10, 2010 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Spike Pike:

I have just fitted a Cummins 6BTA at about 190hp running thru the original gearbox, had to cut the fan shroud and beef up the radiator but at the moment looks good. Still have a few problems with high block coolant flow but have increased the size of the water pump pulley to slow it down. We are taking it out this weekend for a run to the south coast (from Syd) so well let you know how it goes. Spike
June 5, 2010 at 10:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andy
Won't an intercooler make the motor run hotter as it causes a bigger bang in the cylinder?
June 18, 2010 at 9:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lloyd & Helen Hoskin
Hi Paul,
It,s been a while but the new engine has been finished for a few months now and we've just returned from doing the Canning. The engine ran well but the fuel rate needs to be increased to give it a bit more "punch" (apparently the fuel was wound back so it would pass USA emmissions). I'll give a final report once all the tweaking has been completed. Cheers Lloyd.
--
June 20, 2010 at 9:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dingo
I had my Perkins re-turboed with a glycol intercooler. Kept the boost at near to standard. I can now cruise fully loaded with caravan at 120kph, punch up to 130kph from 80kpm(ok without the caravan) to overtake all in top gear and watch the fuel gauge behave like a V8. But third gear under 1700rpm 4wding in the bush it sips fuel which is what this high torque motor is famous for and why OKA chose it. The big problem I have is warming the thing up, it runs cool at about 70 deg.
Having my time over I would scour the Perkins wreckers for the garitson waste gated turbo which Perkins used on the Phaser and the head from an intercooler model which has all the double valve springs etc. Have a close look at the turbo options in your manuals!
Can't beat the Glycol intercooler for efficiancy, purchase price is a bit exxy and I am thinking it is a big part of my under-cooling problem.
Intercoolers will only do engine life damage if you realy crank up boost/fuel to make max power. Otherwise they cool the head area of your engine and give you more bang for your bucks, all good.
Tim.
June 30, 2010 at 7:46 AM

travis
Intercoolers make for more dense cool air which means you can wind boost and fuel up safely always use a pyro gauge when you do
July 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
How many KM`s does the orginal engine last?? I thought the Phaser 110MT was a million KM engine?????
A lot people say stay clear of the 6.5L Chev. Besides a new cummins etc would work out around the same and be a modern engine.
I think the new cummins as in the new OKA would be about 15k, Maybe OKA could offer engine replacement/upgrade path??
July 24, 2010 at 10:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen 408
Anyone considering altering or repowering the OKA Perkins should read and absorb what Brendan Eblen has written about this subject. In my view, he has achieved it in a way that is very cost effective, hassle free, reliable, and he has created very significant improvements. It aso means that the vehicle has largely maintained its original integrity..........which is important for purists !!!
I have given this OKA a fairly solid workout ( over 5000km in the last 3 weeks ) and it performs very very well.
Anyone needing help on this call or email Brendan ( he won't be thrilled about me printing this bit ).

--
Stephen 408

July 24, 2010 at 11:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi all, the original selection of the 110 Perkins was the most fundamental mistake of the Oka designers (just my opinion) - had they given the 4BT or the 6BT or V8 diesel as options then their ambitions would have been rewarded beyond their imaginations. We purchased an Oka with a 6.5 chev 93 model engine coupled up to a 4l80e chev auto tranny. We flew over xmas last to Victoria and the drive home to Newman in WA was very enlightening. We had plenty of power, got about the same economy as we do from our other Oka (a 110 Perk that has 84000km on it). It ran up around 100 degrees for the most at a steady 90 km/h, the motor is worn.

We have turned our mechanical workshop into research and development mode with the sole aim of putting together the best combination of drive line for the Oka. We have the latest 6.5 high output V8 diesel from the states and as we have other vehicles in our fleet we also have the 4BT and Dodge Cummins 6 which develop heaps of economical HP and torque. These engines are all cheap in the USA and the evolutionary process has seen the 6.5 ltr V8s transform from defect-ridden dogs to well built reliable fuel efficient power plants with all parts very easy procured here in Oz.

The Oka is an enjoyable dream to drive with the V8 power and auto no question and all who have succumbed to the temptation of a drive agree. Our research has proven that the height and width of the 4BT Cummins is a major labour issue to fit and the 6BT is double space trouble, its 40 inch length etc not to mention the one-meter height is really a deal breaker, pity as they have the goods but so does the V8 HO version of the 6.5 without the same engine room constraints. We need the next summer to tell us if we have our cooling systems correct as in electric water pumps and fans and heat exchangers, we believe we are very close to achieving our objectives on this most important issue, both with regards to overall efficiency, reliabiliy and capital cost and ongoing maintenance costs, our mobile is 0409 492 108 should anyone be interested in what we're doing, there's way too much info gained along the way to detail here, Good travels to all, Doc and Lyn
--
August 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
IMHO , I think the 6.5 V8 is a step back. You can buy a new cummins for around 15k, perhaps even less. The 4bt would be good, however people have put a 6bt into a OKA as well.

Depending on the quality, which I think is still in question. I was thinking the new Toyota V8 diesel might be a good option. They are a modern design, walk into Toyota to get parts etc.

I think the Perkins is a great engine, however there is not enough of them around. Cummins wouldve been a better opinion.

August 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
In the meantime, I'm happy to chug up steep hills in first and second. That way, I think I'm still driving my bus/motorhome.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

August 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
The 4 cyl 110 hp Perkins is a fantastic engine in its right application, the Oka is not it evidenced by the no of owners seeking solutions to its lack of power.Perkins have only applied factory charge pressure of around 10 psi, much more than that and the head gasket will become an issue for sure, if you want a reliable Perk then the 140 hp touted about by charge air cooling, turbo changes etc then this fairly pricy option will not in our calcs hold a candle to the V8's available from International Diesels for $9700 US complete drop in and lobbed into our w/shop for AUD $11000 approx.These engines have been proven over this decade to be very reliable, robust and economical, we run mechanical Injection pump etc.Of course we all have different driving applications and if we were on tar all the time then we would just fit the electic water pump and fan with the digital variable speed controllor and stay with the Perk as long as we didnt have to tow anything.What would you rather do when doing the Simmo crossing or anywhere else really, undo two hose clamps and fit the spare electric water pump in ten minutes or change out the mechanical pump!!! Not to mention the economy benefits of the two systems both in purchase price and running savings and the increase in available power after removing the water pump impelor, the thermostat and the fan assembly. About $350 gives you the electric package and more available power and more k's to the litre. The best bang for your buck according to our field calcs. However the Oka was not designed to carry our fat asses on tar all the time and as the 5 tonne makes its present felt in the soft terrains it requires much more low down grunt etc etc, the perk doesnt cut it in my book at all.6Bt 212hp and 4BT 140 HP cost about brand new $6500 and $9400 US Should anyone want the supplier details for any equipment mentioned through out our ramblings in the Oka 4WD community please feel free to e-mail us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we will happily forward the appropriate contact details. We bring containers regular from the USA so freight is easy and inexpensive as we share the space with others. There's nothin like a heap of Oka victims throwin 2 bobs worth in to make it all good, another red please, cheers Doc and Lyn
--
August 1, 2010 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
I think the 6bta would be the best option IMHO. I think a XT gearbox and transfer will bolt straight up, But I reckon it would be better with the auto.
Then you have to get everything else worked out I guess. One 6BTA conversion has been done and I think they had problems with the cooling system. It tooko a lot of time etc to get it in, I also dont think they had A/C fitted in the end.

August 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
IMHO I,m a Cummins man right through and to not be able to fit the 6BT has gutted us, the HP and the torque are perfect for the Oka with a 4L80E auto through a NP205 transfer and Dynatrac Dana 80 diffs with ARB air lockers 35 spline c/moly. We will make the best out of the 6.5 V8 until the new Cummins V6 hits the streets, they have it on the production line awaiting the economy to improve before they press the button en mass which we hear will be 2011, fingers crossed, thanks for the comms enjoy , Doc and Lyn
--
August 1, 2010 at 5:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Cummins 6BTA will fit, Its been done already into a OKA,
Here in a Patrol http
www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=31636&page=3

In a old suburban
coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238207

Maybe this CAT C7 motor might fit????
www.bigdieselengines.com/truck-engines/c...7-truck-engines.html

August 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

travis
im looking at engine conversions once i find the right truck hopefully on with a dead or no engine, been looking at a few engine ideas so my budget is right, c7 cat is 900ish pounds its a pretty heavy motor and i dont know how the oka would handle all that weight over the front wheels, 6bt i think is like 580ish another engine that may possibly fit the bill is the new qsb4.5 comes down to the budget i guess. engine options open up if you look about. What is the bellhousing pattern of the okas spicer box? (sae type?)
August 3, 2010 at 10:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Yes your right, after looking more at the C7 it wouldnt fit the bill.
Like I have said the 6BTA would the fit. However I think the new cummins 4cyl may be a better option. ISB would be sweet
August 4, 2010 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
OKA4WD.com at April 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM
From Lloyd Hoskin:

Hi Andy, I am currently fitting a brand new Perkins 135hp 4 cyl with an extra large intercooler. The bore, stroke & block are the same so it bolted in fairly easily but all the accessories are totally different so a lot of adapting has been necessary. It's got a bigger wastegated turbo that I'm told will run at about 16psi, a higher pressure Bosch injector pump with 6 jet (instead of 4) nozzles, high performance pistons, inbuilt hi volume air compressor and a counter balanced crank. Apparently it was built to Volvo specs (which I've been advised is not uncommon as Perkins make engines for several different companies that re-badge them as their own) and part of a large order sent to the USA and this one was surplus to their needs so found its way to Australia. It will be on the road in a week or so and I'll let you know how it goes. I did contemplate the V8 option but the pockets are only 'so deep' and this cost about the same as getting the original rebuilt. Cheers Lloyd.
My oka has had a trans plant , it no longer has the old perkins diesel engine, but a perkins newer model not sure what hp it is , it also has some serious slack time when you put the boot into it , it only revs out to 2200 rpm . It very frustrating ! you are always changing gears up and down .Can you tell what your engine revs out to .thanks peter
October 10, 2010 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
I am looking in an Engine Exchange at the moment, I have looked at an OKA with a 6BT fitted to it here in Adelaide and the engine fits, I have looked at many options including the International until I got the Engine dimensions at Over One Metre Wide will not fit in an OKA. I Believe the Cummins 6 Cylinder isb is the best option for reliability, Size, Power Output and Spare parts availability Australia Wide, The bigest issue with an engine conversion is the rest of the drive chain, the gearbox needs to be replaced as it is designed to run behind a high reving 4 Cyclinder and not a low reving 6 Cyclinder where it should have a 100/110 Kph cruise RPM of around 1800 RPM, Not 2800 RPM as the current gearing is set up for, I am speaking to Cummins in Adelaide and was told not to look at the 2011 Engine as the new exhaust setup would make the engine near impossible to retro fit in the OKA. With many other OKA owners looking at engine conversions and the USD on par with AU I are trying to locate some 6.7 Litre isb Engines from the US but having trouble finding New / Crate engine in the US. My second engine choice would be a 2003, 5.9 High Output Cummins Engine but need to locate some, Any Ideas where to look?
David
October 11, 2010 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
Greetings all,

Now this is probably one of the dumber ideas, but I would be iterested to hear comments.

My Land Rover with the 300tdi engine and camper on the back weighs in at 3.5 tons, the same as my Oka single cab. The Land Rover is way faster than the Oka - by stopwatch, not seat of pants.

The later TD5 Land Rovers can be chipped up to give hugely more power than the old 300 tdi. I can't help wondering how a TD5 engine/gearbox would go in an Oka. The result would be a much, much lighter engine, a much smoother, quieter engine, much quicker gearchange, and one where parts and spare engines etc are very easily obtained.

It seems an impossible idea, turfing a 4 litre engine and fitting a 2.5 litre engine, but all the same.......

Any comments please?

Cheers,

Paul
October 11, 2010 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Russell Phelan
engine revs with the standard oka diff ratios?
gear shift linkages?
there are better options.

Russ
--
October 11, 2010 at 7:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
David,I think the 6.6l Duramax with the Allison 1000 will be the dream team,the problem is to get a complete donor vehicle and the fact that is a high tec engine will need hi tec solutions,the good thing is that you can get analizers from the US from under $ 1000.00
a Toyota analizer is over $ 6000 and you can't get it unless you're a dealer.
I have spoken to people in the US who removed a 6.5 Chev and fitted a Duramax and the foot print is the same so it should fit under the OKA,Banks will supply a brand new bare engine but if you buy everything separated will cost you a fortune,I have been looking for a supplier if I have any sucess will let you know
Cheers
Joe
October 11, 2010 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
duramax wld be great.
--

October 11, 2010 at 11:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
You blokes who rush about the countryside might need more power. Those of us who spend many months on the road at a time don't need it.
Besides, our Perkins Phaser has ONE wire that makes it go or stop.
And, .............I know where that wire is....:)

Cheers,
Peter
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

October 12, 2010 at 7:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

wessa #400
I have to agree with that, keep it simple and any bush mechanic can fix it anywhere as long as the problem isn't fatal.

Wessa 120
October 12, 2010 at 7:15 AM

David Hallandal
I have seen a OKA with a Duramax, Allison 1000 and NP271 Transfer Box in it, had to change the front diff to left had side, and had issues with instruments as donor vehicle had no dash, Great combination not sure on servicing here in Australia where as a Cummins has dealers everywhere, Yes Peter you are right for your style of travel, but to rebuild my Perkins motor along with my Gearbox and Transfer Box Plus an Intercooler to make it safer to pass traffic, I might as well repower the OKA with a larger Donk
October 12, 2010 at 7:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi all, the 6.5 optimizer V8 is a good donk, fits easy coupled to a 4L80E auto and a Lomax transfer case, google them its a great ride,cheers and happy travels
October 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
missed the fact that all parts and service are as easy as Ford or Holden
October 13, 2010 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hi to everyone
Im abit dizzy with what is the best engine replacement would be thought of getting a 135 hp Perkins instead of my 110hp, so I might work on staying with original engine 110 save alot of conversions as the 110 has been there for its hole life and still goes OK just need abit more passing power, have been told in the past that just fitting extractors to a diesel gives it more top pulling power, has anyone fitted extractors is there any truth in this?
Also looking at intercooler/ maybe larger turbo when motor is reconditioned and if the internal parts be strenghtened to handle any extra power modifications to Phaser 110, wondered if you can modify head /valves/pistons/injector pump.
I rememer my old farm boss was talking about the tractor pulls in USA and he mentioned how the American farmers had thier tractors blowing smoke rings as they were hotted up to get more power from a standard diesel engine ?
Not a Diesel mechanic so im still looking for at least another 30 to 50 hp out of Phaser 110 engine if I can achieve even alittle more would be ok as long as I can keep the reliabilty and dont have to change any ratio's.
Have deregistered my Oka bus as it was still licsencened to go over pit each year and taken 7 seats out so if you know anyone that would like to buy some bus seats all in reasonable condition apart from one with broken part on back rest needs touch weld

Kind regards Geoff

July 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA 262
Hi all
My bro in law has a truck (fuel tanker) repair business. He has a loose complete 6L Ford V8 diesel in a box sitting in his factory. The motor has everything, turbo, computer, wiring harness, manifolds and is huge. He wants to sell it if anyone is interested.
He has fitted a 5.9L Cummins in his Ford 150 and has just bought an Allison 2500 auto gear box. He is looking for a suitable tranfer case to fit the Allison. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Stay well
Vidas

July 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
Nissan Patrol, Will fit behind the Allison and will take the power, Plenty of them around and cheap to pick up
July 26, 2011 at 7:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
David,Do you know who makes the adapter plate from Allison to Nissan? I have tried Marks adapters and they told me they are about 6 months away,Are the people at Bullet making their own?
Cheers,Joe
July 26, 2011 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
Not sure will get back to you
July 26, 2011 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darren Webster
Hi Guys
We have had the 303 running with the Duramax Allison with a Nissan transfer case since Easter and it is fantastic, similar fuel economy to the Perkins but 400 hp.
Ask Paul Nott how it goes if you are interested as I took him for a ride recently.
The NIssan transfer case adaptor is already available, its made in Queensland by a fella named Heath and is available through Ontrack 4x4 in Melbourne. Ph: 03 9310 7755 or Cass Jones in WA (Climax Industries ph: 0418 795 455).
July 31, 2011 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Hi Darren,Thanks for the info regarding the adapter,I've spoken to Paul and he thinks that 303 is the fastest accelerating OKA on the planet,this was the day after he had the drive and he was still very excited,he thinks the bench mark for conversions has been set and it's going to be bloody hard to beat.......any photos??
Cheers,Joe
July 31, 2011 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darren Webster
joseph baz at July 31, 2011 at 5:34 PM
Hi Darren,Thanks for the info regarding the adapter,I've spoken to Paul and he thinks that 303 is the fastest accelerating OKA on the planet,this was the day after he had the drive and he was still very excited,he thinks the bench mark for conversions has been set and it's going to be bloody hard to beat.......any photos??
Cheers,Joe
Hi Joe
Good to see that someone appreciates my craziness with my OKA. I have always admired the OKA and always wanted to own one, until I drove it for a while. Being an off road racer I needed a little more horsepower and more so for towing the race car or anything else.
No. No photos yet. Must get off my backside when I get some time at home and take some.
Regards
Darren:)
July 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.