Communication

More
01 Nov 2012 16:10 - 01 Nov 2012 16:12 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Communication
Forum Home > On the Road > Communication

Dave and Pauline Gray
Hi all thanks to my good friend David [TEMBPMUSOC} who because of his electronics back ground and expertise in breathing new life into 25year old radio I have installed my old Codan 7727 model [had resided for 12 years under the bench] in the OKA and am now a member of the VKS737 network Sell call 0018 I thought that maybe a few more members of our group who also have HF radios installed would like to post there sellcall identies on possibly their profiles or perhap Dandj could work his computer magic and have some sort of ID plus callsign column so when we are all out in the wide blue yonder and blow a fuse on the fridge or something we might be able to contact someone in the group who knows how to fix it .
Cheers Dave

April 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Our selcall is 2198 but as yet isn't installed in the Oka.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
I think a listing of Oka owner Selcall numbers is a good idea since it has potential safety and reliability benefits on outback trips.
Our selcall number is 2484 and I've added it to our profile info.
I could add an extra column on to the Members Oka Index to hold Selcall numbers but since internet access may be restricted when outback, and we can't currently search for profile information, a separate list that members could print or download and take with them for quick access may also be useful.
Selcall is now the only reliable method of contacting the RFDS in an emergency, via VKS737 bases, and their Selcall numbers could be added to the list. It would remain a Members Only listing. I've yet to hear of Selcall spam but I suppose it could happen.
How many other Oka owners are members of VKS or other HF radio groups and would be willing to share their Selcall numbers?
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

April 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
See sample Selcall Listing on my test site here.
--

April 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chalkie
VKS737 MOBILE 1121. i DON'T MIND IT BEING PUBLIC
April 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
As i also have and uhf /vhf radio in our truck and i am not familar with selcal can some one enlighten me please cheers peter
April 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Peter we're talking about HF which used to be used by the Flying Doctor Service (it still is but in a limited capacity) and private organistions setup for remote area travellers like VKS, Long range comms typically over 1,000's of k's).
Yes your UHF CB has selcal too but totally different frequencies and radios.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ewart & Vivian Halford
I am with HF oz sell call 0032 I no that is not much good to vks members.
Ewart
April 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Ewart, you are correct, not all HF radio users are VKS737 members but all Selcall numbers are relevant for this purpose. However the radio group will need to be specified because Selcall numbers can be duplicated amongst groups (there is also a VKS member with Selcall number 0032).

But you raise a good point, in an emergency, any HF radio group users may access each others frequencies, including Selcalls, and the RFDS has an arrangement with VKS737 for any HF radio users to access the RFDS via any of their bases, see this RFDS press release .

VKS737 has published a document here which advises any HF radio user how to access the RFDS through their network. It says "This service is available to all HF users (not just VKS-737 subscribers) in cases of genuine emergencies as defined in Section 49(1) of the Radiocommunications Act No. 174 of 1992."

Note that the red Emergency Call button on your HF radio is no longer used or monitored by the RFDS, so Selcall on an HF radio (or by telephone if you are in range) is now the only way of contacting the RFDS, either using the VKS network or the RFDS base direct, depending on what frequencies are available on your radio.

Sharing of Selcall numbers may well help in the case of an emergency so that messages can be relayed amongst HF radio users.
--

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 01 Nov 2012 16:12 by dandjcr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.