Rear Springs

More
30 Oct 2012 13:33 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Rear Springs
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Rear Springs
1 2 Next »

len&rina
As part of the major work at Robin Wades,rear springs were on the agenda.On getting them out one was found to have a broken leaf and I thought they looked tired.I decided to purchase new ones.Westralia springs sent what later turned to be NT with the extra leaf.When fitted they promptly went into a cupids bow,drooping either side of the axle.
Robin could get no satisfactory explanation,so I came to Perth.First to Oka.I was overweight,although the NT springs are designed for 3800kg and my weight is 3400kg.
Westralia said built to Oka design and anyway springs often look like that on trucks and would give no trouble.However they were not prepared to put that in writing.
Anyone else had such an experience.There is no reflection on Robin in all this,he was as upset as I.
--

April 2, 2011 at 8:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
All the alarms are going off here, we have a set of LT springs from Westralia and are about to fit them tomorrow.We have a much loved 61 series 1988 cruiser import and had it for 6yrs and three yeaqrs ago we heard the parabolic springs were the go as they cushion just like coil springs, we have shyed away from using it as its a back breaker to the point that the car is dangerous to drive on bitumen when going over the wave type surfacers that get worse with constant truck pounding. It just starts to see saw and vehicle control become the issue. Now I need to say that Westralia have reset my original springs but they are not in a position due to staff problems to change them back over. They have had one go at reseting the parabolics but this has not been successful. They did not charge us for resets on the original leaf or parabolics. it cost 2400 dollars for the parabolic springs fitted approx double the cost of replacement original equipment which we are now changing back to. All up a very disapointing and expensive exercise not to mention the vehicle being used only as a shopping trolley.So here we are about to put the new Oka springs all round and happen across your scribes. Should we experience any problems we will consult with Dept of Transport and Regional Services and investigate these matters fully, we will not suffer further loss from this supplier in silence not to mention the safety aspects inherent in these issues.Will update ASAP. Cheers to all Doc Davey
April 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

len&rina
Hi Okadoc,
Are they LT or NT.The NT have the top 4 leaves the same lenghth.This seemed to be all they were making.
--

April 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
just arrived Friday, XT springs all round from Westalia Springs. They did have them in stock which i found surprising. the girl had me measure the hole centres and count the leafs so hopefully right. Will be fitting this week .. i have the originals here, will look at the new ones to see if any difference.
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

April 3, 2011 at 9:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
In 2004 I replaced all the springs on OKA196 with new ones (standard, original spec) from Industrial Springs in Adelaide. We are 'heavy' too.
Those springs had done 150,000km when I had them reset and tempered 2 years ago.
At the same time I replaced all the top leaves with new 10mm leaves to replace the original 8mm ones after talking to the guys at Wilderness Challenge (in Townsville). They routinely do that and find that it stopped the breakage rate on the OTT vehicles. They are noticeably stiffer than the originals.
Apart from 2 shocks in each corner we also have some coil spring helpers at the rear.
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

April 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Hi Len,
I didnt get a chance to get out to the truck today, but i was speaking to Allan from Oka about some other issues. He tells me they are the NT springs but all should be OK. He said the only issue is if they rego the trucks in SA the trucks are too high at the side door step by 25mm. I'm not entirely sure if this is gospel as I've had some interesting talks already relating to bits that should but don't fit.
Any way, will attempt to look tomorrow and come back to you.
Cheers
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

April 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Len, Looked at springs and seem to be the NT ones. Installed to chassis but no engine etc yet. Sits very high , too high to fit shocks yet. Engine in next week will let you know
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

April 7, 2011 at 11:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
The height issue I think is for tourist buses. Thats why the buses have a fold out step.
--

April 9, 2011 at 10:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Posts: 199 I'm happy with the height, just as long as the springs don't turn inside out
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

April 10, 2011 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
Posts: 40 Has anyone ever giving the thought of adding airbag suspension to your oka? I am sure the ride would improve 90%. With the thought of a airbag suspension would you not have the need for costly spring upgrades and keep having to replace them every few years?
April 14, 2011 at 8:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Pauline Gray
Quite a few of us have fitted airbags but one of the endearing features of an OKA is its soft ride over rough terrain the length of the springs contributing to this but unfortunately the springs do tend to sag quite quickly so fit airbags to help and you tend to stiffen the ride up a little on this vehicle but as you say it does lengthen the life of the springs .
Cheers Dave
April 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
Posts: 40 A lot of our stuff is Customized to each truck. Is there a way to post photos here on this forum?
April 14, 2011 at 9:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
Posts: 40 I apoligize for the misunderstanding, what I ment by air bag is to do a 4 link suspension with air bags, doing away with the springs altogether.
April 14, 2011 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Rodman, see www.oka4wd.com/apps/forums/topics/show/2...-pics-in-forum-posts

Something like this? (my camper trailer suspension)...

--
Hal

April 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
Oh wow now I can see this little box here now. before I could not, I know how to use this now. Here is example of the 4 link system I was refering to.

April 14, 2011 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

len&rina
Rodman at April 14, 2011 at 10:34 AM
Oh wow now I can see this little box here now. before I could not, I know how to use this now. Here is example of the 4 link system I was refering to.

Hi Cando,Okadoc,
Did ypu get any peculiar reaction from your new springs
--

April 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Len and Rina, what was the end verdict?
--

August 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

len&rina
Outback Jack at August 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Len and Rina, what was the end verdict?
Hi outback,
Nobody would take responsibilty,{it was not Robins fault].An independent spring guy said the springs would be ok and outlast me.However the trucks sags a bit at the back,and I am p..... of about the whole situation.Iguess I like things right,and this does not seem to be the case.If I could go back I would have kept the old springs,which had the top leaf broken,but sagged only like the new ones,and had them repaired and reset.
--

August 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
OK thanks for the update. I am the same. I like things to look right.
169 has same springs ready to be fitted. I hope it doesnt suffer the same fate.
--

August 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
The years I was in Halls Creek, I dealt with Jenkins springs (now WA suspensions) in Bayswater for custom and Toyota springs, never had a problem.
cheers, Joe
August 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Rear Springs
« Previous 1 2

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Here's a snippet from the OKA factory newsletter of July 1997...

If my own count makes that any more meaningful, OKA 260 (built 04/1995) has ten leaves in the front packs and 11 leaves in the rears (all original).

Front springs:

Rear springs:

I don't have the vehicle handy to check this, but it looks to me that on the rear the bottom four are thicker than the top seven; and if you'll excuse the scuzzy photo, it's certainly true that they bend differently - this is how they bend when drooped:

--
Hal

August 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Just opened up the wrapping on the springs sitting in the rear ready to be fitted. They are from Westralian Springs. However on closer inspection, I see they were made in Malaysia. Not sure if I will use them, I don't think they would be as good as Australian made springs.
Just not sure.......
--

August 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Pauline Gray
I put a set of Westralian springs ex Malaysia on last year and after 10000k and some extreme conditions have stood the treatment well.
Cheers Dave
August 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Cheers for that. I think the new NTs may have the same springs. I dont think Tom in Cairns has had any problems.
--

August 10, 2012 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
On advise from Tom Cairns, a couple of years ago I replaced the top leaves all round with 10mm instead of 8mm on XT196.
He claimed that this stopped his spring breaking trend on the OTT.
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

August 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Yes this was the option I was going to do, however Tom has not done it to his NT`s. I did it before in 244.
--

August 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dean & Kaye Howells
On #413, which had quite serious spring sag when we bought it, had the front springs re-tensioned to standard camber+10mm and had two additional front leaves made with 10mm steel, also standard camber +10mm.
Originally I installed the two 10mm thick main leaves but the LHS sat much higher than the right. I replaced the LHS main leaf with the 8mm thick one and this nearly perfectly compensated for the extra weight on the RHS. Height difference between LHS and RHS of vehicle was about 2mm. 2500 Km later and including the CSR and Anne Beadell highway and #413 still sits square at the front.
Might seem strange having different thickness main leaves on the front, but it works well.

Deano:)

--
August 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
I think LT are little different to XT`s. Something to do with transfer cases etc. I am not sure and will soon find out when I install the springs in a few weeks.
--

August 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.