Which Rear Locker?

More
31 Oct 2012 19:37 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Which Rear Locker?
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Which Rear Locker?

Pete Fox
I am going to put a locker in the rear of 266. It already has an ARB locker in the front, but I would like a limited slip type diff in the rear. The question is 'which one'.
A few years ago I followed an 80 series Toyota equipped with a Detroit Locker across the Simpson. It was easy going as the sand was damp and the vehicle in front was leaving a really clean tyre print in the sand, but every hundred metres or so the print on one wheel would 'disappear' and would leave a skid i.e. no tread print. I took this to mean that the rear diff was winding up until it locked and would then release. I remember thinking at the time that this was probably OK in sand, but in a surface with more traction the diff would be winding up but the release may not come until considerable windup occurred. Is this bad for the axles? I don't know, but the issue tends to lead me away from a detroit locker. I am allergic to broken axles.
I have a GU Nissan with a LSD in the rear and I find it really good and I want to find something with equivalent behaviour for the Oka. No sign of unwanted locking up (unless I am turning on my Mum's wet lawn) but it locks up solid when it is needed.
Anyone have any recommendations/experiences with lockers for the Oka.
Pete
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

April 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Peter
The standard LSD fitted to the Oka's is very good, works much better than a Toyota one and probably better than a Nissan one.
I was surprised how well it works actually, will even spin the wheels when backing up the drive on concrete if you let the clutch out quickly, with the auto it will still lock up on loose surfaces quite easily.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Peter,Powerloc is my favorite,simple and efficient and is not harsh on the axles,I have fitted the powerloc to the front diff with ARB at the rear,the downside is that powerloc are in short supply,Paul Nott may have some,also replace the crownwheel bolt with new ones.
Cheers,Joe
April 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dean & Kaye Howells
Peter, I have Dana Spicer power lok LSD's in both front and rear of #413. We have driven probably 25,000Km with this setup on all types of surface (CSR, Bitumen, Dirt etc) and they have been brilliant. No issues at all. We have the benefit of all four wheels driving when required, they are not harsh or for that matter even noticable when they take up / release, they do the job perfectly. Best of all they are set and forget. You don't have to remember to engage/dis-engage or to back off to engage/dis-engage as with air lockers, no compressor issues and none of the maintenance issues associated with air lockers. IMO they are the perfect solution. Paul Nott supplied ours and assisted with install/setup. I can recommend this set up.

Dean:)
--
April 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.