Wheel upgrade

More
03 Nov 2012 06:20 - 28 Jun 2014 21:15 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Wheel upgrade
from 4oka:
I have just purchased a Oka (055) and the vehicle still has the original 16 inch split rims. I understand many owners have gone to 19.5 inch rims for better ride quality. My questions are as follows:
1. Is there a manufacturer that stocks rims to suit (i.e. not custom made) at a 'reasonable' price?
2. If they can only be custom made who makes them?
3. Is there another type of vehicle that uses the same stud pattern as the oka where 19.5 inch rims can be sourced second hand?
3. Does anyone have a set of19.5 inch rims for sale?
August 5, 2010

from T & D Morris:
Like a lot of owners our OKA had 16inch rims and 900 Michelin tyres and these proved great on beach sand.
You could let them down to as low as 20psi to get out of trouble.
But the vehicle wandered on the bitumen at higher speeds and the tyres wore out quickly.
I changed to 19inch when I changed from a multi cab to a pop top camper and with the extra weight and stiffer side walls that do not ballooning much when you reduce pressure, it does not like the soft sand.
So it depends on what you are going to use your OKA for.
I purchased the rims from OKA and purchased a replacement from Andilne rims 120 Kewdale road Kewdale W.A 08 9353 3877
We run Toyo 285 x 19.5 and they are meant as a truck drive tyre.
August 5, 2010

Aussie Bight Expeditions
If you go into the Forums section you will find quite a bit of debate about tyres and rims under a few different headings as there are many different opinions and options ,that you can look at. It has been widely discussed. I would read all that info and then come back again if that is no use
Regards
ABE TONY Esperance
--
August 6, 2010 at 8:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

4oka
Yes I have read all the posts on the forums. The vehicle will not see a lot of sand (if at all). I'm mainly interested in on-road performance of the vehicle. What I require is some alternatives regarding wheels. I don't really want to spend a fortune on wheels! What I want to know is where they are available new (without having to be custom made) and whether the OKA stud pattern is the same as any other Light Truck that uses 19.5 rims (meaning rims can be sourced second hand).

Thanks,

Richard.
August 6, 2010 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Try Paul in Melbourne, @ East Coast OKA ( Mobile 041812542 ). Is at present I believe getting some made, cost ? Will not be cheap though, as they are made to order.
As for another trucks the answer is no, the only other vehicles with this stud pattern are the F250 pickups and F350 and possibly the F450. The other 19.5 rims are done to the European / Japanese pattern which is nothing like these 8 stud ones. That is the draw back with these, they did make some of these OKA's in 2 wheel drive and they went to a mine (diamond mine) up north and they had 10.00x20 rims on them. Anyone who has 19.5 rims generally does not get rid of them. Unfortunately Rim and tyre selection for the OKA's is not an easy or cheap item to change. I have heard of people buying 2nd hand rims and then getting the bolt secton changed and that is not cheap either.

Regards
ABE TONY Esperance
--
August 6, 2010 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Richard,the OKA pattern is the same as Chev,Dodge and some fords which is 8 on 6.5" diameter,if you're looking for tubeless 16" check some of the US websites as prices are quite reasonable.
Cheers
Joe
August 6, 2010 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Is anyone out there with 20" rims? Looking at the tyre availability there is a lot more to choose from in this size,just an idea!
August 6, 2010 at 5:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
Re 19.5" rims.
There are 2 widths available. 7 1/2 and 8 1/4"
The 7 1/2" limits you to the 285 tyre. The 8 1/4 allows you to use 285 or 305 tyres.
I think all new 19 1/2" rims now coming in are 8 1/2 and this is what OKA now fit to new vehicles (with different centres). I sold a set of 7 1/2" rims so I colud fit the 305 tyres which I reckon are a better ride.

Cheers,
Peter
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

August 6, 2010 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Joe, you're right there are HEAPS of 20" tyres and it also opens up the availability of the ex-army second hand 'bar tread' tyres and/or recaps... Also, all the options that the Mog's use etc
However, the problem as far as i can see is diameter, anything which would function well on/offroad is huge and wouldn't fit under the OKA wheel arches (aswell as causing possible problems with wheel bearings etc)... Also, they're really heavy, you've got to look at use and need, in the other thread on this forum people have been able to find strong 4wd tyres which function really well for the weight of the oka (ie only 5.5T rather than 10-15T like a truck etc).

On the 19.5" wheel topic, for the price of getting 19.5" wheels and decent tyres you can get some really good alloy wheels and tyres which are FAR more common and user friendly...
That's my two bobs worth.
August 6, 2010 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
I have actually seen an OKA from Perth that has 22.5 rims on his OKA and is running a 6 cylinder phaser motor,allison auto and runs the low ratio differentials and when I talked to the gentleman (Nearly 5 years ago now) he said fuel mileage was the same, and power was great. Also I asked about the tyres and he said no problems, but at that stage I do not know if he had been off road, and I cannot remember the persons name, but I do remember he said he had no trouble with clearance although it looked tight, plus impressive. The wheel bearings should be fine as there is or was in his case no extra side loading, which as an ex bearing agent, myself found out many years ago, that it is usually the extra width out wards is what usually kills the bearing not the direct downward force on the bearing, as long as the weight is not a factor, and the OKA's are heavy.

Regards
ABE TONY Esperance
www.aussiebight.com

--
August 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Yes, you can go for a 22.5" rim but you have to put a low profile truck trailer tyre on them (a 60 ratio rather than a 70 or 80). The biggest outer diameter you can go is roughly 38"-40" depending on width (as far as i've seen) to fit under the wheel arches with clearance to springs when turning etc, ie it doesn't matter what rim size you go as long as the overall diameter fits in the wheel arches.
You'll find the wheel bearings you're talking about were wearing out with the wider tyres mostly because of extra traction resulting in extra side force at the contact patch of the tyre (aswell as extra weight etc). Similarly if you go with a bigger diameter tyre with the same force sideways at the contact patch there's more leverage on the bearings so they wear out quicker... say if you went from a 800mm to a 1000mm diameter tyre the force on the bearings increases by 25% which is quite a lot. I'm not saying it will destroy them, they will probably just wear out a little quicker... Simple physics really.
August 7, 2010 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Ford F250, F350 have the same stud pattern but smaller diameter studs, I got new brake rotors which were for F350 but had to drill the holes larger to accomadate the studs, don't know if you can drill the rims to suit. Believe Mullins makes rims, as for alloy rims I read on the Oka owners group site that the wheel nuts alone are around $30.00 each costing about $1000.00 for the 4 wheels.
Regards Darren
August 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Darren,
Hi guys, Ok here's my 10 cents worth.
F250 have similar stud pattern but NOT all F series wheels fot the Oka's.
Diameter of studs is different & have to watch the back spacing,
Yes Mullins will make the wheels, there are some out there with them on, but very expensive. We have Eagle alloys on our Oka & they come in a range of sizes 16 17 18 & 20 inch are available in Oka stud pattern all load rated ofr 5.5GVM. The wheel nut we had made to match the alloys & were only about $8.00 / nut we had no problem getting them either. There was a wheel company in Victoria also who could supply them if we had of had any problems.
Tyres we do beach & dirt & black top driving so we need to let the pressure down. We run to have 19.5 wheel & tyres but found we couldnt let tyres down & they were terrible in the sand ( Darren we used to go to Stockton quite a bit you should be familiar with it ? ) on the blacktop they were a rough ride not comfy at all & not much better on rocks & gravel once again air pressure a problem.
Since we put our alloys on we have been to Cape York , all the way, 3-4 trips to Cairns via various places, South Australia 4 times and all the Peninsula's down there, Ceduna, & Kangaroo Island as weel as various NSW & Queensland outback area's. We have found the alloys wheels & tyres a much better combination for sand, off road & on road the ride is smoother, tyre pressure adjustment no longer a problem & added bonus of about 40kg / wheel/tyre less in weight than the original rims. I can actually lift the wheel & tyre to change it if necessary, so if John was injured I could change tyre. We spent about 2 years researching different wheel/tyres , but in the end decided to go for the alloys & we are very very happy with them. If you look at the photos in album you will see the whhel/tyre combination.
Regards, Laura
--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

October 17, 2010 at 10:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Laura
I've reread your post and maybe I'm missing something (very likely!) but I understand you are running Eagle alloys but can't find the rim size and also tyre brand/model and size that you use.
Thanks
Peter
October 18, 2010 at 6:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Might be helpful if posters stated their axle loads as well as the size and type of the rim and tyre.
OKAs are not a standard production vehicle and gross weights vary from less than 4.5 tonnes up to more than 8(??) so tyre selection is also going to be based on widely differing parameters.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

October 18, 2010 at 8:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Wheels are Eagle alloys, Code is 0589, they are 16" x 10" with 8 studs. Bolt circle is 165.1 = 6.5" with a 4 1/2" back spacing.( Back spacing important for clearance on steering.) 5/8" wheel nuts.
Tyres are Coopers ATR 315/75x16.
Mickey Thompson also make several tyres & BF Goodrich, Pro Comp also as do Toyo & Maxxis ( Creepy Crawly M8090) Any other question just ask.
--

October 18, 2010 at 8:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Our GVM is 5.5t , . Make sure the weight of vehicle ( weighbridge) is equal or less than the GVM on your compliance plate. Three reasons: wheels MUST be able to carry the weight of the Oka, insurance purposes- insurance claim can be denied if wheels are not rated . correctly, also for vehilce registration/inspections- wheels & tyres must be rated for the weight of the vehicle.
Common sense should prevail, cant drive a 5 ton + vehicle on standard tyres that are on rated to carry 1+ ton.
By the way it was cheaper to buy an alloy wheel, nuts & tyre complete than it was to buy a standard tyre for our 19.5 rims. We had to shop around but it was worth it. So we saved; weight, $$$, overall weight of bus , and saves the back as well.!!! It's all up to the individual owner everyone is different , but we wouldn't go back to 19.5''s.
---
Laura
--

October 18, 2010 at 8:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
We should make it clear we are talking XTs and LTs here. We have more NT-owning members now, but that setup is completely different.

Don't be scared by this talk of stud sizes and bolt patterns etc. It's easy. OKAs have 5/8" studs, which is very uncommon, but the lug nuts are certainly available (though you won't get lock nuts). The stud pattern is 8 on 6.5, which (for instance) Ford F trucks used up to about 1998. After that they used 8 on 170, which are hub-centric instead of the 8x6.5's lug-centric. XT and LT OKAs always used 8x6.5.

So if you get alloy wheels with an 8 on 6.5 stud pattern, they will fit your OKA. They will go on to your 5/8" studs without modification. The backspacing will almost certainly be 4" or 4.5", which will work. If they're 16" or larger, they will clear your brakes. These wheels are very common.

Our wheels, like the Szkorudas, are 16 x 10. If you're keeping the tyres down to that 315/75 sort of width and profile, you have an enormous selection. I went to the extreme of 355/80 and while they have been great, the choices are very limited - possibly non-existent right now.
--
Hal

October 18, 2010 at 9:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I just found the bit I had written up on tyre diameters a while ago:
"...it was LT315/75R16, which gives a diameter of 34.6". A standard-ish OKA with 19.5" wheels might have 285/70R19.5s, which have a diameter of 35.2" (265s are 34.1", 305s are 36.3")..."

That's from this page, (click) which is another discourse on alloy wheels and LT tyres on this site; and which included this pic, which I love because it makes a 70-series tyre look like a low profile...

--
Hal

October 19, 2010 at 12:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Hi, yes our tyres at present are approx the same size as the standard Oka 19.5 in diameter. We are going to go up a tyre size next time, but not quite as big as Hal's . There are tyres & wheels available you just have to look & do your homework and work out what sort of surface you will be driving on. I did all the searchng around for our tyres & wheels , it's not that hard as long as you know the load rating, size dimension etc, just time consuming.And as Hal says the LT/XT are same size just the NT different.
Good luck
Laura
--

October 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM

mark hall
John & Laura Szkoruda at October 18, 2010 at 8:16 AM
Wheels are Eagle alloys, Code is 0589, they are 16" x 10" with 8 studs. Bolt circle is 165.1 = 6.5" with a 4 1/2" back spacing.( Back spacing important for clearance on steering.) 5/8" wheel nuts.
Tyres are Coopers ATR 315/75x16.
Mickey Thompson also make several tyres & BF Goodrich, Pro Comp also as do Toyo & Maxxis ( Creepy Crawly M8090) Any other question just ask.
hi guys can you tell me a ball park figure as to how much the eagle alloys are

thank you for your time

mark
--
November 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
When I checked it was around 1k per corner, mag , tyres and nuts. That was with 225 tyres for memory
--

November 2, 2010 at 5:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Oka Paul
going to fit michelin 325 85 100 xmls to my oka wheels are custom made steel rims with 1750kg rating checked out alloys but no wheels are avalable with 1750kg rating as rear axle has 3500kg capacity 2wheels must be equal or exceed this by law or insurance could be a problem eagle 589 are only 1550 kg this was infomation from my automotive engineer
November 4, 2010 at 12:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Oka Paul
Oka Paul at November 4, 2010 at 12:05 AM
going to fit michelin 325 85 100 xmls to my oka wheels are custom made steel rims with 1750kg rating checked out alloys but no wheels are avalable with 1750kg rating as rear axle has 3500kg capacity 2wheels must be equal or exceed this by law or insurance could be a problem eagle 589 are only 1550 kg this was infomation from my automotive engineer
found out more imformation on axle weights engineer went on dana 3500k were as oka rate rear axle on 5500 kg gvm truck at 3100 kg so eagle 589s 1550 kg load rating is ok but some oka trucks and buses have 6000kg gvm so rear axle is rated at 3275 kg so these wheels technicaly are not up to the job
November 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 28 Jun 2014 21:15 by Hal Harvey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.