Why is it so??

More
03 Nov 2012 06:37 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Why is it so??
Forum Home > On the Road > Why is it so??

Tony Lee
Subtitled - My OKA 123, what a heap of junk!!!!

Posted this on another forum for a trip report. Repeated here, but I'm especially interested as to how the problem could occur.

Simpson desert - August 2010 by Tony LEE on 16 Aug 2010, 02:18
Just a few photos for now
(images are all around 700 x 500 so not a big download)

Not easy to find anything resembling a desert. To even get to the first dune - called Big Red, but according to serious sand drivers, not very big at all - required a bumpy long detour around a long lake lying up against the dune.

I forget how many dunes there are between Birdsville on the Eastern edge and Dalhousie Springs on the western fringe, but it is a lot - and so far the view from the top of each one has been different enough to keep the drive interesting.

Not the sort of setting I expected for our first night on the trail. Eyre Creek - flowing, with lots of small fish and heaps and heaps of bird-life. We stayed for two nights.

Where is the desert we came to see? Hard to see the sand for the wildflowers. The red dunes set them off perfectly.

The OKA is remarkably capable of getting up the steepest dunes with a minimum of fuss despite all the axle-hopping dig-ins left by the pretend off-roaders, but there were a few that had the top couple of metres covered with dry wind-blown sand and a couple of times I got a bit complacent and had to back up a couple of metres before revving things up a bit.

As always happens, there are always plenty of spectators to see the mistakes.

Not always plain sailing. The angle of the tray relative to the cab is not a design feature. Apparently they are taking it with good grace and humour but you could imagine the worry at every bump. Been driving like that for several days.

And some more flowers. Shows the biggest and showiest and there are dozens of smaller ones just as spectacular once you get close.

========================================================================
someone replied "nice shots!!! Nice Rig!!!"

Re: Simpson desert - August 2010 by Tony LEE on 16 Aug 2010, 03:08
"Nice Rig......."

The @##%$^ rig very nearly ended up a smouldering heap half-way up the first dune.
Stopped for a coffee half way around the lake detour and let the tyres down a bit and also put it into low range 4WD
I was VERY confident about the capabilities so when I arrived at Little Red and saw the toys hooning up the sand with the tyres at 18psi and with their turbochargers on the point of disintegrating, I figured I would show them how it is done - so I decided to leave the tyres at 35psi (and made sure those at the starting gate knew just in case I fell flat on my bum) and headed up the slope in second low range at just above idle. Got about 5 metres on to the sand and 'failed to proceed'. Bugger!!

Reversed back, muttered to the assembled smirkers something about too heavy and tyres too much pressure) and let the tires down to 24psi as seems to be pretty standard for OKA owners. Gave it a bit more revs. This time I got about half way up before having to reverse back down.
Damn and !@@W#W$%#%^&*

Of course I got plenty of advice from the experts - let your tyres down to 18, wind her right up and go back through the gears keeping the revs up, leave it in second and flatten it, etc etc.

Tried all of the above and the absolute best I could get was about three metres from the top. Tried about 6 times and things were getting desperate - but the family drinking wine at a table and chairs they brought to the top of the dune had a bit of light entertainment to liven up their afternoon, so I guess it wasn't a complete loss for everyone.

What a disaster. The trip was over before it started because even if I managed to get over, I mightn't be able to get back.

Anyway, couple of blokes in utes had said they would pull me over if I wanted but by the time they came up, I had decided to make it on my own with the help of the sand mats. Put a mat behind each back wheel and reversed back on to it. Limited slip diff on the back and normal one on the front, so figured that would get it off to a flying start.
Put it into gear and let out the clutch (gently because the ceramic clutch doesn't take kindly to any abuse) and what happened? Exactly bloody nothing. Well, something happened of course. Betty reported that the front left wheel was spinning but the rear wheel I could see was just sitting on the mat doing nothing at all. Huh!!! Limited slip diff not limiting? Other blokes said no, neither back wheel is turning. Hmmmmm!

Put it into high range 2WD and it tried to drive off the mat. High range 4WD and same thing happened. Drove off the mat and stalled it.
Back into low range 4WD and the OKA - GREAT vehicle by the way - just ambled up to the top of the hill. Mouth of the ute blokes opened and they said that their vehicles couldn't do that.

Smiles and HUGE relief all round and the trip was on again.

Still don't know how it could happen that a transfer case could get just the front shaft driving without the rear shaft but it did happen. Reason I couldn't get anywhere was because it was in front wheel drive. Guess it says a lot that I was able to get a nearly 6-tonne vehicle almost to the top of the first dune with the two back wheels not driving. When I first moved off after selecting low 4WD on the detour, there was a loud bang. Sounded pretty awful but I figured it was just gears getting into mesh or something and the vehicle moved off OK so my heart rate went down to normal and I didn't think any more about it.

Anyway, I was so relieved at the outcome that I didn't bother going down to Big Red to show them how to do it and just headed off into the setting sun - or something like that.

I'll leave Big Red for next time. Piece of cake!

--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

August 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Missing images can be seen at this LINK.

click on thumbnail to see larger image
--
Tony

August 17, 2010 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I tried to fix the pics for you Tony - you should just be able to follow the routine as per this link but use your postimage.org links instead - they loaded fine the first time but maybe not now. Don't know. I usually re-size to 500 or 550 wide now and they work. On my screen your pics got re-sized to 537 automatically, but I don't know if that applies to other users.

Looks like the beginnings of a great trip. Can't offer anything on the transfer case mechanicals though.
--
Hal

August 17, 2010 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Have had similar trouble on sand dunes / beaches around Esperance and on the Bight. Not the transfer but the getting up and over. Interesting fact that I was taught by Frank Hawkey, previous owner of Aussie Bight Expeditions, and I am sure pure sand devotees will have found this out, try if everything else fails. I use this very regularly on very soft sand, low tyre pressure, "of course" but just use low range 1st gear without the right foot, and OKA's will just about crawl up anything or go through the softest sand. The only problem is the time it takes to get anywhere at 1 km/hour but you will get there. Most likely talking to the converted already, and it is easier to do without the ceramic clutch as you do need to slip a bit to do it successfully on the start.
I am sometimes amazed at the OKA's capability if you think outside the square as speed is not always the answer and sometimes you cannot get enough speed anyway to help you out.
Just my experience and I have done your trip, but not with the season being that wet as that really transforms the country to a spectacular Wild Flower show.
Have fun and good travells

Regards
Tony ABE Esperance
--
August 17, 2010 at 11:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Yes Tony, nice low pressures and a bit of patience does seem to work, but ....

I've been trying to get around with 30psi and most of the time it goes over without any drama but yesterday, after having camped for two nights, the wind had been blowing and the days were hot so the tops of the dunes were deep in dry soft sand and that did make it harder - impossible even with the high pressure so I had no choice but to drop them to about 25psi.
Today was similar. Easy for most of the time - high range 2WD - but the WAA line forced a major pressure drop. Lake at the eastern end of WAA was flooded requiring a 20km detour around it to the north so we elected to detour south to the rig road and then back up to the WAA line along Eribina rd. Rig Road is very easy and not very interesting - quite the opposite to WAA.

Raining at the moment so guess the flowers will hold on for a bit longer - and the damp sand will be easier to drive on as well. Win-win.

As for the transfer box "problem". Seems to be quite repeatable. If I don't push the lever right to the front then I just have front wheel drive. Concern is that the difference in lever positions is quite small and maybe the bang that I heard was some sort of "synchronising" mechanism ( to make sure both drive shafts are engaged) breaking????

Or is it some sort of "secret" position so if the guts falls out of the rear, you can still get home in front-wheel drive??
--
Tony

August 18, 2010 at 7:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee

Thanks Hal, I did try to use the postimage URL but no joy - maybe because they were around 750 pixels wide instead of the 550 you suggested.
Next time.
--
Tony

August 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Hi Tony,
I assume you have a new process transfer case, by your build number. I had on my original bus, a crunch one day and then bad vibration and split a gear in 2. Mine however was a Rockwell and was one of 12 put into the OKA's that only had a 50 mm brake on it and with smaller gears inside. Bought another that had bigger gear no problem. If it is a new process I cannot give advice but with the other one (Rockwell the rear will always turn as it is direct and when one goes to 4WD then the others cross into place). The only advantage with my 2 OKA's I own is, if the transfer gives up then you simply drop it onto the road, out of the way, then take the front drive shaft, it fits from the rear of the gear box and mounts straight onto the rear differential. Then it is a 2WD, ( very heavy to pick up but can be done) one advantage of the Rockwell but they can be rather loud. However I run different bearings to normal and over fill the oil, through and extension and run additive, not so bad then.
I would suggest that the adjustment for the changing is not right and it is not going all the way in. Common if Rockwell as the cables are long and strong but they do need adjustment occasionally. Maybe look at the adjustment or see if there is not something jamming the mechanism from going all the way, either under the cover below the shifter or at the point of entry to the transfer box out side.
Sorry I cannot help you with the right info.
Good luck and safe travels and hope it gives you no heart ache.

Regards
TONY ABE Esperance
--
August 18, 2010 at 11:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rod Lyons
G,day Tony, we had the same problem years ago when we where going through Teronis Gorge in the Kimberley & i ended up driving out in high. I tested it latter & found that I didnt put it into 4x4 low properly, there is only a couple of mm between in or not!! We still made though better than Toyotas tank slapping ( or I should say spare tyre ) on rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good travels

Rdo
--

August 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Tony,when you get back have a look at the plate connecting the two selecting rods out of the transfer case,the two pins should have anti rattle clips,you will probably find elongated holes in the plate that will prevent proper gear meshing therefor you will drive only one output and the loud bang was possibly the selector jumping due to the inproper meshing,nice to see that youre enjoying the trip....aaaahhhhh the joys of owning an OKA
Cheers
Joe
August 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Good to have confirmation and better to have a possible reason. I'll have a look tomorrow. One thing with mine is that it has only done 100K and was owned first by a careful flight instructor and then by a farmer who mostly left it in the shed so I shouldn't have too many of these age and corrugation-induced problems that cause others problems.

Now at Dalhousie Springs and if the bad corrugations between Purdie bore and here are any indication, I think I will be giving most of the iconic inland "highways" a big miss.

Maybe the next trip OKA 123 will do is into a 20' containewr and then off to South America for some large scale 3-dimensional scenery
--
Tony

August 20, 2010 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Have you been practicing your Spanish?,it comes really handy in SA
Joe
August 20, 2010 at 8:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
joseph baz at August 20, 2010 at 8:12 PM
Have you been practicing your Spanish?,it comes really handy in SA
Joe
Two years living in China with zero Chinese. Several months spent motorhoming Europe from Iceland to Morocco without any other language (even my English is a bit suspect). Even managed OK in Scotland, wales and the US so should be OK in most of S America.
--
Tony

August 20, 2010 at 8:33 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.