Alltrac 4WD SA

More
01 Nov 2012 11:48 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Alltrac 4WD SA
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Alltrac 4WD SA

Outback Jack
Hi All,

244 is now getting trucked to Adelaide. This is for several reasons. One being it needs to go over the pits and have a defect notice removed.

If they have time I was planning to send it to Alltrac.

Has anyone used them? They seem to be a pretty good company.
Who else works on OKA`s in Adelaide. If budget and timing allows, might get a intercooler and exhaust done somewhere in Adelaide, only problem is I need to be out of Adelaide by Friday lunch time at the latest. To head west and be be back at work on Tuesday.

Cheers

--

August 31, 2010 at 6:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

travis
if you want a cooler and exhaust done in perth call me 0421678926 and ill build it for you
August 31, 2010 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
I would strongly recommend my mechanic in Adelaide.
Saint Marys Auto, 8276 6975
In Saint Marys, just off South Road, south of the CBD.
Talk to Rob. If you tell him I sent you he will probably throw you out...:lol:
I have used Rob for all of my OKA work which included a complete rebuild of the vehicle mechanicals.

Cheers,
Peter
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

August 31, 2010 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
I have used Alltrac and always had good service from Peter and the Staff
While in Adelaide contact me if you have time to catch up for a chat, Have 2 OKA's here in my back yard at the moment
David Hallandal
September 6, 2010 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Well 244 has arrived at Alltrac.
They have told him it was no bargain thats for sure. It is sitting on its front bumps stops and has a lean. They said it was a very unloved vehicle and will need lots of work, Major work required include handbrakes, bushes etc etc.
Then it needs A/C which is around another 4 to 5 K.
Lets hope all the drive train is in OK condition for the next few years.
I dont have the budget to get all the work done, so I may put it in a storage yard in Adelaide. Not sure I need to sleep on it as I am not sure what to do now.
--

September 14, 2010 at 5:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
What was the detailed required work and how much is the quote? hand brake bushes aren't that much,new front springs and bushes $ 1500+ 500 for labour,what else is wrong with it?
cheers
Joe
September 14, 2010 at 8:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
I am Glad I do not use your spring man my last front set cost $750.00 and I fitted them myself. Bushes I made out of another kit and they cost about $70.00.

One thing that allot of people run into with road worthy (and I have to go over the pits every year due to passenger bus laws) is that the weight on the OKA is about 75% on the right hand side and that always makes them sit down on the right hand side due to the uneven weight distribution, my last roadworthy 6 weeks ago they put on the sheet that it sat down on the left hand side and when I measured it, it was 10 mm out so I put in a bit more air and they went OH!!!!! That is why I fitted the air bag system on all 4 corners to remove that issue as you then can level to a set height just off the springs. It also gives me better traction in sand, as one (with air bags) removes the ability for the to axle hop, which increases traction hence forward motion.

Unfortunately if one has to pay for work to be done on OKA's then it will cost a $ to fix most problems, that is the nature of the good beast.

Most bushes for the OKAs are easy to obtain and cheap. The list as Joe said will help as then the rest of us can advise you on the prices and availability etc
Good luck in your endeavour

ABE Tony

--
September 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Tony ,those prices will be the very worst case scenario,if he goes to westralia springs direct can get much better deal.
cheers,joe
September 15, 2010 at 12:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
Unless they are worn, the springs could be set and tempered.
I did this to mine recently (Industrial Springs in Adelaide), but replaced the top leaves with new 10mm (based on the experiences of Wilderness Challenge) and installed 20mm pins at the same time.

Cheers,
Peter
--

September 15, 2010 at 6:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Thanks for the heads up Peter. Did your mechanic pull them out etc? Or did you do all yourself?
Industrail Springs have qouted around 1k, the 20mm pins and bushes are around 1k, then to fit it around 500. That would make the total job around 2 and halve thousand.

--

September 15, 2010 at 9:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
The spring packs were rebuilt with the new top leaves by Industrial Springs (talk to Pedro, around the back).
I had the springs removed and re-fitted fitted by Laser Alignment (Regency Park) at the same time as other front end work. I also rotated the front axle back a bit with some wedges to align the drive shaft better.
Originally had new springs fitted all around by my mechanic at St Marys in 2004 at the same time as the re-build 150K ago.
My mechanic and I did the 20mm pins and bushes conversion together.

Cheers,
Peter
--

September 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA NT Sales
Hi all,

Factory currently have NEW 6 x front and 6 x rear, 10mm main leaf springs available that are suitable for XT and LT OKA..
These are $200 plus GST each plus freight.
Give myself or Angelika a call on 08 94341300 or shoot me an email on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Also available are :-
Spring Shackle and Pin Kit Upgrade
Spring shackles have been modified to accept new pins for both front and rear leaf spring sets. These are now professionally machined and hardened specifically for OKA. These pins are harder, stronger and have a much greater contact surface area pin to bush, to reduce the amount of play in the spring eye reducing strain and wear.
Available for XT & LT & NT models
Retail Price - $1,451.00 (inc GST) RRP

Markus
September 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
I presume that is $200 for a full set of 10mm top leaves, not $200 for each leaf?

Chers,
Peter
--

September 16, 2010 at 6:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA NT Sales
Peter,
The 10mm main (with eyelet) Leaf spring is $200 + GST each. These are manufactured to full OKA Engineering approvals. (100% compliance and therefore genuine from our factory , not aftermarket). These are top quality.

As for the previous mentioned Spring shackle and pin upgrade, this is everthing - pins, bushings, washers and shackles for both front and rear and pins and bushings done to 24.5mm.
I do have pictures if required of both items.
Markus
September 16, 2010 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Marcus, the size of the pins are the other way around,it should be 25.4mm(1"),I did this conversion to mine,it's well recommended.
Cheers
Joe
September 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA NT Sales
joe,
sorry you are correct
thank you for picking that up
cheers
markus

September 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Gday Markus,
Could you do a BOM (Bill Of Materials) for the kit inclusions so we can compare your kit versus other kits on the market?
For example, Dave Hallandal does a strong set for $900 (you can see the link on this website) and we can see the inclusions etc, could you do the same so we can compare apples with apples...?
Cheers
Alister
September 16, 2010 at 6:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA NT Sales
Alistair,

very quickly a NEW Spring Shackle and Pin Kit Upgrade contains:-

FIXED END CHASSIS WELD PLATE KIT
2 x collar - lock - fixed end
2 x plate - fixed end - front
2 x collar - lock - 45 centres
2 x plate - fixed end - 45 centres

1 x pin fitting tool

FRONT SHACKLE KIT
2 x front shackle assembly
4 x pin 25mm long - leaf spring mount
8 x washer - shackle to spring assembly
4 x washer M17 x 45 flat
4 x nut M16 nyloc (thin)
4 x grease nipple - 1/4 UNF - straight

FIXED END KIT
4 x pin 25mm short - leaf spring mount
4 x washer M17 x 45 flat
4 x nut M16 nyloc (thin)
8 x washer - leaf spring to chassis

REAR SHACKLE KIT
2 x rear shackle assembly
4 x pin 25mm short - leaf spring mount
8 x washer - leaf spring to chassis
4 x nut M16 nyloc (nyloc)
4 x washer M17 x 45 flat

All parts in this kit a professionally made, not a bolt that is drilled out, with greater hardness, are stronger and much greater contact surface area pin to bush, than other aftermarket kits available. This is a genuine OKA kit which is being used on the NT model and is engineering approved and being used already on the new Wilderness Challenge vehicles in Cape York with success.

Markus
September 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Gday Markus,
Thanks for the quick reply!
So from what i'm reading, the 1" (25.4mm) shackle pins taper to an M16 thread at the nut end (or that's what i'm assuming having M16 nuts in the kit)? So the shackles and fixed hangers would have a 1" hole on one side and a 16mm or 1" hole on the other??
Cheers,
Alister
September 17, 2010 at 11:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Hi Al,you will have to drill 1" all the way through,the pins have a set length for all loadbearing surfaces and the 16mm begins at the edge of the hanger,there is no load bearing on the 16mm i'ts only a lateral restrain,you do away with floating bushes as the pins work on the spring bush reducing additional play,hope this help
joe
September 18, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Alltrac 4WD SA
« Previous 1 2

Outback Jack
Maybe the admin could move some of this post as it is now off track.

The OKA factory shackle kit will not fit an XT. The shackles and the mounting point on the chassis is different.
--

September 21, 2010 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
I'll do my best, but unfortunately I can only copy & paste individual posts, or move/rename entire threads... neither of which is ideal... but you're right, all the spring info needs to be elsewhere.
September 21, 2010 at 5:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
STO,the actual length of the shackle at the front is different,the bushes in the chassis are the same,if you want to upgrade to the new pins just have to drill 1" and weld the keeper plates to both shackles and chassis.
Cheers
Joe
September 21, 2010 at 6:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
Now copied all the springs & shackles info to THIS THREAD (click).
September 21, 2010 at 6:54 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.