Fuel Tank Options

More
01 Nov 2012 11:59 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Fuel Tank Options
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Fuel Tank Options

Outback Jack
Hi All,

I am looking at what options there are to increase the fuel capacity of the OKA.

Not sure if any these will fit, but are cheap enough

www.hiltonmfg.com.au/index.php?option=co...gory_id=48&Itemid=13

--

August 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I received these pics via Tim Forsyth the other day. Roger Beimers made the tank/s in Victoria - he's an old mate of Tim's. They're not for Tim; I thought they might have been for Peter Davis, had in the back of my mind he has a black Oka... anyway Roger didn't have a price on it at the time, but he is contactable at Long Range Automotive in Melbourne (03 9739 5667) or see their website.

Battery location is not affected, but air steps on the other side might be an issue. The tank capacity is 203 litres (standard XT/LT is 105 litres).

--
Hal

August 29, 2010 at 6:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
This is Rory & Allie Neal's, in Augusta, WA. That's about all the info I have on it - apart from that it obviously has huge tanks.

--
Hal

August 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Jeez thats a bit bigger than the standard tank, How far would you get with OKA having 300 Odd litres? This tank on dirvers side and standard on passenger side/
--

August 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Garry & Chris
Looks like you'd sacrifice a bit of off road clearance
August 29, 2010 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Pauline Gray
I got a quote from Raffetys Body Builders in Maddington Perth about 3 years ago square profile tanks no loss of ground clearance 165lts per side from memory $ 2600ish they are a company who build or modify fuel tanks for the road transport industry
--
August 29, 2010 at 9:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I reckon that one in the second post above is this vehicle -

--
Hal

August 29, 2010 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hedgie
Our Oka only came with one tank as it was only used on a minesite. I built a 180l tank that sits under the rear section of the body so the load is taken over the rear axle. This with the standard tank gives us an easy 1,600km range. On the right hand side I built a stainless water tank to the same dimensions as the fuel tank. I was attemping to keep the loads even so the truck would stay as level as possible without much effort.
In hindsight I could have built a different shape tank for the sides that would not have lost ground clearence but gained some extra litres. As it turns out the range we have works well so I will probably leave things as they are.
Rod Lyons has built tanks like those in the earlier posts to gain more volume.
--

August 29, 2010 at 11:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
I originally thought I would add capacity to my two standard tanks, but after coming across the Simpson via part of the Rig road and WAA line, plus detours because of flooding - and finding that when I got to Dalhousie Springs I had enough to go back to Birdsville without touching the two jerry cans, I figure I don't need any more capacity.
As far as being able to hold out for better fuel price, we went from Norseman ancross to Penong (Sp) near Ceduna without needing any of the expensive fuel in between so ...

Back to the topic. Peter and margaret made their own rotational mould and got poly (?) tanks made
The moulds were for sale
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

August 30, 2010 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Have any one checked the prices of the new NT fuel tanks? they look good and can get all the brackets and sender units t/s....just an idea!
cheers Joe
August 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
I made the moulds for these.
They are rotationally moulded MDPE.
They hold about 85L each (170L the pair) and go into the space that the spare used to occupy.
The original spare mounting cross rails are removed and replaced with a single one going in the other direction.

Cheers,
Peter
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

August 30, 2010 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Re the NT, others would know better but my recollection is that because the wheelbase is a handspan longer, the fuel tanks were simply lengthened by the same amount, giving them about 20% more capacity. But they won't fit on to a shorter wheelbase vehicle without relocating the batteries.
--
Hal

August 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Hal,there is two different lengths on the NT,as one side is the full length and the other is shorter due to the Add blue (urea) tank,maybe one will fit,these tanks are built in house and maybe OKA can alter the length to what is required,it only occured to me as I was at the factory today and they had a lot of tanks inside the painting booth.
cheers
Joe
August 30, 2010 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ewart & Vivian Halford
Oka 365 only had one tank. I ended up getting a round tank off an Isuzu for $500 and holds 122 ltrs.
August 30, 2010 at 8:27 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.