GEAR SHIFT ADJUSTMENT

More
01 Nov 2012 12:03 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: GEAR SHIFT ADJUSTMENT
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > GEAR SHIFT ADJUSTMENT

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Appreciate any information in laymen terms for adjustment of the gear linkages to enable easier selection.Thanks.
Regards Darren Lilly
--
August 3, 2010 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Is your machine hard to shift, or is it hard to get into gear? There is a difference as I usually find people say it is hard to shift. I regularly do maintenance on the gearshift Itself as if you take the top cover off the top, which is a ring and rubber, one will see that it has some slides on it.

Once these have become dry then it is hard to shift the lever and makes it appear to be a linkage problem to the box and I usually find with the passing OKAs I get in here that it is usually the same problem, there is also a grease nipple just in front of the engine, lift the engine cover up and you should see it on the universal.

Lubricate that first and it might surprise you. It did me with me the first time. However still go to the trouble of lubricating the actual gear shift ball and slides.

One has to remove the cover over the area between the driver's and passenger's legs, just take the gear knobs off then the 4 bolts and it is plan sailing from there.

I own 2 x LT OKAs and have to do both of them. I also have done the same to XT OKAs but did not look to see if the grease nipple was there.

Hope this is of some use

ABE TONY
--
August 4, 2010 at 11:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hard to shift believe theres adjustment linkages Thanks
--
August 5, 2010 at 1:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Darren,have a look at all the joints(ball and uni) also the bush on top of the selector were the arm comes out of the gearbox and connects to the linkage,these bushes tend to wear with the constant weight of the linkages and the vibration specially if the vehicle been on dirt roads a lot.
cheers
Joe
August 5, 2010 at 8:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Thanks for the replies, shifting gears is stiff & getting 2nd can be a bit of a pain. I'll try the greasing & see how that goes.I'll let you know the resultin a few weeks as I am away working at present Thank you. Darren
--
August 7, 2010 at 1:00 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.