Howdy, new and looking at an OKA

More
02 Nov 2012 21:24 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Howdy, new and looking at an OKA
Forum Home > On the Road > Howdy, new and looking at an OKA

Moose2367
Hey guys and gals,
Just joined the site and was hoping some of you friendly people migt be able to help out.
I currently own a GU Patrol ute and tow a H/D 8x5 home made trailer, but i seem to have too much gear, don't we all?
So i've been looking at getting a 4WD truck, and the OKA is obviously one of the choices, or an NPS 300 or Canter.
Having never driven an OKA or NPS i am sort of driving blind, so to say.
I have found 2 OKA's i'm interested in, one is in Perth, number 44 and is pretty standard, bar a diff lock, the other is in Townsville, both have similar klms but a $15k price difference, not sure of the number but it's on carsales and has been for a while.
Is there anything in particular to look at or be wary of? I'm in Katherine, NT, so can't just go and have a look unfortunately. I was thinking of using it as a daily driver and selling the Patrol, good idea? It will be used as a hunting vehicle also, as i do some bowhunting guiding too, hopefully more in the future and it becomes fulltime.
How are privately owned OKA's maintenance wise compared to a patrol or cruiser, i do it all myself and have the tools and most of the know how, i've worked in a few workshops and my dad is a diesel mechanic in Ballarat, Vic.

Cheers

Luke

August 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Luke, if you are looking for comfort the other two won't cast a shadow on the OKA,if you get a well maintained OKA, maintenance ways it will be on par with a Cruiser or a Patrol,if you get something run down you WILL have to spend the $$$ to bring it up to scratch,spare prices are more in line with a vehicle of equivalent size,dearer than some Toyota bits,cheaper than Isuzu or Mitsubishi.....if you want some more info give me a call 0419322443
Cheers,Joe
August 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
Luke, I looked at the Canter and the Isuzu before buying the Oka. They are probably both very good vehicles for what they are designed, which is basically a delivery truck that won't get bogged so easily in a farmers muddy yard. I don't think the suspension of either is seriously meant for off-road use.
And of course dual rear wheels are not suited to rocky roads - just imagine a nice sharp stone jammed up between the dual rear wheels.....
Good luck, buy the best Oka you can find and you will be delighted for a long time.
Cheers,
Paul
August 26, 2011 at 7:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Garry & Chris
Luke I don't know how much serious 4Wding you do But I do know you cann't get difflocks for the NPS 300
And the Canter will fall apart off road before the OKA

August 26, 2011 at 7:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKAPETE .......... Peter and Sharon Furlong.
Hi Luke, If the Oka you are looking at on carsales is the military green dual cab, it is a very good truck and had a lot of upgrades so would be a good choice, it has good history and it would pay to give Glen a call. Otherwise Robin Wade at Oka Kalgoorlie, in Coogardie has a number of trucks for sale and very knowledgable, call him on (08) 90266094. I know of another dual cab coming available in a while and two other bus configurations available at a good price. you dont have to limit yourself to a dual cab even if that's the configuration you want, as the body modules are removable and interchangable, Hence the description on the compliance plate of 'multi body truck'.If you want further general info you cant find on the site, give me a call and I'll put together an Oka history, spec sheet and general info email to you. cheers . Peter. 0412376556.
August 26, 2011 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
Thanks heaps for the replies guys, appreciate it.
Pete, the one i'm looking at is the green dual cab with the canopy, seems to have everything i need on it already, which is a huge bonus. I'm about to send Glenn another message on carsales, as my replies via e-mail havent been responded to, they may not have gone through either. I also want to get the number off him and a history if possible, unless someone here already knows?
I spoke to Robin a couple of days ago about a dual cab he has on consignment, but i don't think i could set it up for the price difference to the green one.
I do a bit of serious 4wding, sort of have to during the wet up here, no choice. If i did go the Canter or Isuzu a single wheel conversion would be done anyhow, expensive though, $8k.
You guys have been very helpful so far, i spoke to Daved Hallandal today, very informative, thanks David.
August 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKAPETE .......... Peter and Sharon Furlong.
Hey Luke, Glen's truck is LT # 309 ex sas, Has had 3 short period owners prior to Glen, all who spent $ on it. Should be absolutely nothing to spend on it. All the best Pete.
August 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
Great, thanks for that Pete, really appreciate it. Was kind of hoping it was ex army, maintenance should've been regular, especially for the spec ops guys.

Cheers
Luke
August 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nomad
Luke, Yep the Isuzu is a top truck and an absolute bargain new if you require a larger payload or tray area than a Cruiser or Patrol can provide. I personally wouldn't throw my money away on the Mitsubishi, however impressive one may look, as the quality just doesn't compare. That said I have just purchased an OKA (#267) and although it requires heaps of work I still just checked the fluids, jumped in and drove over 4000KM from Melbourne to Daintree NQ in two and a half days and it didn't miss a beat. Unreliable? I doubt it! Comfortable? Leaves the Isuzu for dead! I had Stratos suspension seats fitted to the Isuzu and still required a chiropractor on speed dial. The other problem you will find with the Isuzu is the physical size. While I am very confident driving a large vehicle I found it an absolute pain when my local coucil narrowed all the car parking in town to increase the number of parking spaces available. As my daily driver the Isuzu was suddenly just too wide to be practical, not to mention too long with the 4.5M tray. The OKA really does seem to be the ultimate compromise, not too big and not too small. If you're not sure about the versatillity of an OKA just check out the endless configurations on this site. Oh yeah, don't be affraid to have a good test drive either. I managed to rack up nearly 500Km on the "test drive" and knew I had to have one. That impressed! And no the Isuzu is not for sale, it has already been sold. Call me a tart but Ive found a new love.
August 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
This is just making it an easier choice, towards the OKA.
Might have to make an offer on it i think, then go to Townsville for a test drive.
Canters have never really been in the top 2 choices, it was Isuzu then OKA, but has swung around now.
August 26, 2011 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Posts: 199 Luke I'm building one at our shed in berrimah if you'd like to look one over before going to tville.
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

September 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
I was just up there during the week too. The one in Townsville just got sold, 2 days after i put the link on here. Oh well, another will come up.
I'll PM you when i'm up there next Cando, be good to see your build.
September 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Moose, I agree a good test drive is a must.
I've never driven an Isuzu or Canter but compared with a Nissan or Toyota, an Oka can feel slow and underpowered on the road. But off road? That's what it's built for.
It's the sort of vehicle you don't mind drilling holes in, it's so versatile large, but not too big, and you'll never see 2 a like. The engine is reliable if not powerful, the transmission and suspension are strong, it's fairly light and easy to drive, and there's plenty of help available, as you've found.
But get used to being the centre of attraction whenever you park.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

September 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.