XT Towing ability

More
01 Nov 2012 14:03 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: XT Towing ability
Forum Home > On the Road > XT Towing ability

Cando
Bronwyn and I have decided to sell up and go on the road full time. We will finish 112 shortly and are looking at towing a 20ft off road caravan (I lost the argument about how much room there is in a OKA camper). I'm interested in your views relating to towing this type of van for an extended time. Would the OKA be capable of towing with ease or would it be working too hard? We will have the house on the market within next few weeks.
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

August 26, 2012 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chris @ shirley james
Hello Cando,good to see 112 is nearly done. We tow a 17 ft full off road van with XT96,nearly full time and have prospecting and camping gear for extended bush stays,a lot of water and food etc.so the weight is up there. The vehicle is standard motor wise but by driving sensibly,allowing the torque of the motor to do its job and allow it time to build up speed etc you will get there but not in a rush. Once rolling the whole rig is stable and comfortable and we are happy with it.See if you can borrow a van for a trial run. Good luck with it all. Any questions, 0405280517. Chris.
--
August 26, 2012 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard & Beverly House
Hi Cando, We tow an 18 ft. Elros Offroad van with XT080 without any problems. It weighs at least 3 tonne loaded with food 300 litres water ,generator, batteries, solar panels etc. we have had it offroad between Rawlinna and Cocklebiddy and out to Belt Bay at Lake Eyre. XT080 handles the van well. Richard
--
Richard and Beverly House Oka 080

August 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
I recall a black OKA that had an intercooler added and towed a 5th wheeler around Oz.
There was a storey that it weighed 9T all up.
The driver was quite happy with the performance.
None of that could be true though because 9T exceeds the legal GCM by 2T.. :-)
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

August 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKAPETE .......... Peter and Sharon Furlong.
You are wright (sic) Peter, It was Oka 224 ( LT R & D vehicle) black dual cab (Okas original show pony) we changed from a 22' caravan to the 30' fifth wheeler due to space constraints (growing boys) as we travelled Oz for 2 half years back in 2000+ . The intercooler made the difference, equivalent of an extra gear when under load, and pre fitment had 76HP at the rear wheels and post intercooler was 92 HP at rear wheels (as shown on Dyno) only really made any difference when towing the fifth wheeler not truck on it's own. And yes GCM was smack on 9000kg's when weighed at Yandina weighbridge. My mates used to say "pete's the only person in Australia that could go to the outback ...and build a town" I carried some contingincy gear, I'll admit.
I'm older and wiser...;) now, A different truck and downsizing to composite built slide on camper, but upsizing the powerplant....Cummins 5.9 6bt and Allison auto.
Way to go...!
Okapete.
August 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Hi Chris , Richard. Thanks for the feed back. I've looked heaps and heaps on the net for true off road vans with out too much luck. I hadnt come across Elross in Perth. I spoke to David yesterday and will talk more over the next few days re having a van made to our specs. We found one at one of the two van dealerships in Darwin, the van is ok but as with everything up here the price is the same for an 08 model as i can get same van for new.
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

August 28, 2012 at 8:15 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.