× Post your interesting, useful and/or unique bush mechanics solutions here for others to smile at and maybe learn from.

I am ashamed.......

More
04 Mar 2014 18:00 #21 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: I am ashamed.......

Ewart and Vivian Halford wrote: Joe, I tried the ratchet strap once but it did not work on that occasion.

Ewart,did you have the tyre standing up as per normal use,I actually got it to work every time,one time I had a stuffed tyre and fitted a tube only to had it flat 50ks down the road,when I pulled everything apart the tube had a series of tiny slits cut very closed together,then I found the little spiral back note book that i didn't know that it was missing from my shirt pocket.
Cheers,Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2014 20:38 #22 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: I am ashamed.......
Yes Joe I had it standing up but it was number seven flat tyre in two days driving, I think the tyre had been stacked so was a bit squashed, I ended up puting a tube in it.
Years ago I mended a tyre only for it to go flat the next day, I found my fencing pliers in there.

Ewart oka 365

More
05 Mar 2014 10:30 #23 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: I am ashamed.......
The funniest flat I ever had was on the Cruiser on the first trip with tubeless tyres. Pulled up at a gate and gate opener ( young son) gets back in and after we had got back up to driving speed announced that the tyre on the rear was hissing when we were back at the gate. Pull up, go all over the tyre with my hand, can here the hissing but can't find the hole. Not far to camp so keep going and then get the spray bottle out and find the very small hole in between two lugs. Successfully plug my first tyre and its all good, holds pressure ok overnight.
A couple of days later the gate opener again says when he gets back in after closing a gate and says "when you drive forward the wheel tinkles",get out can't see anything amiss, get the wife to drive the truck forward while I listen, sure enough it does tinkle but not at regular intervals and not at the same volume each time. Again not far from camp so pull the wheel off and try the bearings, all good turns freely no noise. Roll the tyre and it tinkles! So pull the tyre off and find a 1/2" drill bit about 8" long inside the tyre, bugger all paint left on the inside of the rim and lots of small cuts all over the inside of the tyre with a pile of rubber chips and dust. Drill bit was virtually new and in perfect condition. Learnt then that unless you actually retrieve the stake from a tyre then there is a good chance it is inside.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hal Harvey

More
05 Mar 2014 15:32 #24 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: I am ashamed.......
Notebooks, pliers, drill bits...

Inside the tyres is one place I hadn't thought off to store my tool kit.

I have found spanners wedged in the chassis and screw drivers down the side of the engine many months after misplacing them. And to this day there is a multimeter somewhere inside the engine bay of my Fairmont waiting to be rediscovered (following my battery-in-backwards episode).

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
14 Mar 2014 07:56 - 14 Mar 2014 07:58 #25 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: I am ashamed.......
done a top radiator hose on the HG Holden
wot now
shot a kangaroo, peeled the tail & used it as a hose.
after 2 year I thought I should replace it, still as good as the day we put it there.

I can't take credit for it, was out bush with cousin & aboriginal elder looking for rocks.
that is a blackfella spare part

ps, the roo tail soup was good tucker.

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
Last Edit: 14 Mar 2014 07:58 by outyonda.

More
15 Mar 2014 08:08 #26 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Now that is a classic well done.

Ewart oka 365

More
01 Apr 2015 11:20 #27 by Jo and Al
Jo and Al replied the topic: I am ashamed.......
Good morning OKA owners
Today seems to be a perfect day for a diversion
and this topic has been idle for way too long
Decades ago we owned vw's, the kombis were treated like 4wd's and boy do we now regret selling those for a song.
The vw beetle was my daily driver and Al was by then an expert vw mechanic.
One hot Sunday afternoon I was instructed to assist with bleeding the brakes.
He had the equipment set up and all I was required to do was pump the brake pedal until the pressure came up and was told to stop.
This I did, but the brake pressure did not come up. Frustrated mechanic Al tried another brake line, I pumped away, still no luck.
If you're not laughing yet, you should be.
Oooops. Sorry dear, I was pumping the clutch pedal.
Look forward to other foolish tales
Jo

Big Al & S'Jo
OKA 159

More
02 Apr 2015 07:01 - 02 Apr 2015 07:48 #28 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: I am ashamed.......
Good one Jo, there wouldn't be many people who haven't done something like that in their motoring past.

Here's a couple of my recent shameful experiences:

I lost my large screwdriver for a few days and then I remembered I'd used to to lever my exhaust joint into place while I put the flange nuts back on (from the rear over the starter motor).
And there it was, several days later, still jammed firmly where I'd left it. How is it possible not to notice that? Good question.

When replacing my rear suspension pins with extra large ones, I used a long socket to tighten the nyloc nut and pull the bolt through, but that meant I couldn't then remove the socket or ratchet arm. It was jammed in between the spring mount and water tank.

Pulling a tight bolt through with the nut is much easier than pushing the bolt out again but that's what I had to do to release the socket. Smart thinker but slow learner, I chopped 1cm off the socket and started again.

Planning ahead [Slightly sexist but funny] ...

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 02 Apr 2015 07:48 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ewart and Vivian Halford

More
02 Apr 2015 19:10 #29 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Oops pressed the wrong button there dandjcr.
Jo thanks for the laugh, I got it and started laughing then read on.

I lost a pair of pliers once but found them the next day when the tyre I had mended went flat again.

I bought a second hand Land Cruiser which had an imobilizer on it and I was concerned that if I lost the doovie in the bush I may not get it going again, so I decided to try and hot wire it at home. I connected A wire from the battery and disconnected the power to the fuel pump then got the misses to crank the engine and as expected it did not start. I then held the wire to the fuel pump and got her to crank it over, it started so I yelled ok turn it off but the engine kept running, I yelled again turn the bloody thing off. I have turned the bloody thing off came the reply. Then it hit me and I said to my self( hey dickhead if you take the wire off the fuel pump it will stop.)

Cheers

Ewart oka 365