× Post your interesting, useful and/or unique bush mechanics solutions here for others to smile at and maybe learn from.

Leaking steering box - again

More
30 Jul 2016 13:42 - 30 Jul 2016 13:43 #1 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee created the topic: Leaking steering box - again
Up near Camerons corner, I noticed some red oil on the ground so I guess after 22 years the steering box seal letting go a little isn't unexpected.

I've had a look at www.byles.net/old/www.oka4wd.com/images/...20Steering%20Box.pdf and assuming mine is similar, looks reasonably straightforward. Just fiddly!

Just need to ask if there is any updated sources for seal kits or any change in procedures from those detailed in the document that might help me get it right the first time.

Met Malcolm and Karen Thompson at Tibooburra and he was kind enough to give me his spare hydraulic fluid (left over from when he did the same repair) to keep it topped up and he did say it wasn't a big job, but didn't offer to do it for me then and there so I guess I'll have to give it a go myself.
Last Edit: 30 Jul 2016 13:43 by Tony Lee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2016 21:02 - 30 Jul 2016 22:18 #2 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Leaking steering box - again
Tony, it was me who had the steering box leak problem which I documented in this post and the article you mentioned.

That was in 2010 and I've had no recurrence of the leak since then.

It is a bit fiddly but if the problem really is the top seal (fluid oozing from around the top of the box where the input shaft enters), it's not too difficult or costly. Just don't drive the new seal in too far (just enough to refit the circlip) as TRW warns that removal might be very tricky. (But actually I suspect the same process as used to remove the leaking seal could work).

I don't know of a more contemporary source of seals but Complete Steering Australia are still the TRW agent, and if you're in Melbourne they could no doubt do it for you. The other usual Oka suspects should also be able to help. The TRW document links referenced are still valid and are worth reading.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 30 Jul 2016 22:18 by dandjcr.

More
31 Jul 2016 10:18 - 31 Jul 2016 10:25 #3 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Leaking steering box - again
I always like to be different - and in this case it isn't anything like David's TWR box. The input shaft goes in through a raised skinny boss and all the hydraulics are those nice engineered ones using brass tails and hose clamps.

I'll take a couple of photos

Ah, yes. Consulted the OKA service manual and it is the same as in there -- Kirby Bishop is it ???
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2016 10:25 by Tony Lee.

More
31 Jul 2016 16:23 - 31 Jul 2016 16:35 #4 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Leaking steering box - again
Ah, never assume anything, I assumed your Oka had been upgraded at some stage to the TRW box as most seem to have been.

If it looks like this, (or the photos in OIA's post here ) it's the Kirby Bishop box and my comments are not relevant.

Sorry about that, I guess you may have to consult Paul Nott or Oka Parts as I haven't heard of anyone repairing a KB steering box. (Another assumption).

Maybe time for an (expensive) upgrade, there are people who have done that.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2016 16:35 by dandjcr.

More
31 Jul 2016 17:10 #5 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Leaking steering box - again
Tony,try Dennis Frowley power steering services 07 3284 4427 info@powersteeringservices.com.au,he is one of the more cluey people with that box
Cheers,Joe

More
03 Aug 2016 09:53 #6 by Tony Lee
Ah, yes. Working on the OKA is a never-ending adventure of discovering poor design.

Can't change that seal without pulling the box to bits and I doubt whether my standard of cleanliness are good enough for that so I have to get it done. Depending on which box it is, Frowley charges somewhere between 450 and 550 dollars to change a $10 seal.

Ah well, Centrelink keeps threatening to take my pension away because I'm too rich so this will keep them off my back for a while longer.

More
10 Aug 2016 10:23 #7 by Tony Lee
Amazingly expensive $5 seal.

$40 each way for freight.

$550 for seal replacement.

$630 total

Good one Kirby Bishop. Tell me again why the seal couldn't be designed to be removed from the outside.