× Post your interesting, useful and/or unique bush mechanics solutions here for others to smile at and maybe learn from.

Tools

• Ewart and Vivian Halford
  • Ewart and Vivian Halford's Avatar Topic Author
More
02 Dec 2016 18:41 #1 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford created the topic: Tools
Extra extra length ring spanner.

Ewart oka 365
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2016 21:30 #2 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Tools
Ewart, is there a prize for guessing the fixings you were trying to access?

Like assembling an Ikea futon??

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
03 Dec 2016 06:44 #3 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Tools
May be !!it,s an OKA thing!!

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405

More
03 Dec 2016 19:24 #4 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Tools
It is for the OKA but not as we know it.
Cheers

Ewart oka 365

More
04 Dec 2016 18:53 #5 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: Tools
My guess is to stop a nut from turning way up inside "somewhere"?

Lang

More
05 Dec 2016 07:38 #6 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Tools
Then why tape up the end of the spanner ? Hmmmmm .................................

Deano :)

More
05 Dec 2016 09:25 #7 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Tools
cmon Ewart how about a hint!

More
05 Dec 2016 10:01 #8 by Dave and Pauline Gray
Dave and Pauline Gray replied the topic: Tools
A nut up inside a door pillar probably for the grab handle ,the tape is to stick the nut inside the ring spanner until its started on the thread of the bolt.

Cheers Dave

More
05 Dec 2016 19:57 #9 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Yes the tape is to hole the nut inplace to screw the bolt to it, well done.
I have a long storage draw under the camper body and it restricts access to the bolts on one of the tail gate hinges and the gap in the frame work is only about 2 inches,my arm is too big to fit. When I put it on the firs time I used my daughters boyfriends skinny little arm but they live in Darwin now so I had to come up with another arrangement.

Cheers

Ewart oka 365
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz

More
06 Dec 2016 07:39 #10 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Tools
A couple more.....
What are they?

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
06 Dec 2016 08:15 #11 by Paul and Sue Crompton
Paul and Sue Crompton replied the topic: Tools
Hi Peter, I am guessing they are air fittings and the bung is to go into a fuel container with a hose extended downwards from the bung and low pressure pushed into the drum so the fuel comes out easily. Much easier than siphoning but I could be well off track. Paul.

Paul Crompton - OKA 168

More
06 Dec 2016 11:14 #12 by Peter_n_Margaret

Paul and Sue Crompton wrote: Hi Peter, I am guessing they are air fittings and the bung is to go into a fuel container with a hose extended downwards from the bung and low pressure pushed into the drum so the fuel comes out easily. Much easier than siphoning but I could be well off track. Paul.

That is correct for the top one Paul. It is a modified 200L drum bung. No hose needed inside the drum, just lay it over on its side once connected.

The bottom one is for a quite different purpose. Look closely.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
06 Dec 2016 11:39 #13 by ABE
ABE replied the topic: Tools
Seen one of those years ago. Actually saw the aftermath as the person using it, was killed by the explosion of the tyre rim.
Screw the brass end into a LPG tank and the other end is a fitting for your air hose, connect air hose and air clamp to the tubeless tyre valve open the LPG tank and put some gas in and light. Puts the tyre back on the rim, if you have been driving on sand at very low pressure and run the tyre off the rim, very dangerous idea if you put too much in or you forget to turn the tap off before lighting.

ABE Tony

ABE Tony

More
06 Dec 2016 12:59 #14 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Tools
Had a discussion with Peter some time ago about the use of a gas bottle to inflate a tyre if all else has failed.

Should be enough pressure, noting the risks of using inflammable gas. Not sure how the rubber of the valve would like it but in an emergency...

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: outyonda

More
06 Dec 2016 15:09 #15 by Peter_n_Margaret

ABE wrote: Seen one of those years ago. Actually saw the aftermath as the person using it, was killed by the explosion of the tyre rim.
Screw the brass end into a LPG tank and the other end is a fitting for your air hose, connect air hose and air clamp to the tubeless tyre valve open the LPG tank and put some gas in and light. Puts the tyre back on the rim, if you have been driving on sand at very low pressure and run the tyre off the rim, very dangerous idea if you put too much in or you forget to turn the tap off before lighting.

ABE Tony

No intention of lighting the gas when using this "tool" Tony simply to use the gas for emergency inflation. Have never needed to do it.
Not withstanding, I have used flammable gas from a pressure pack can to re seat a tyre bead successfully on several occasions.
Most pressure packs will work. I used ether (starting gas) on one occasion. It is surprisingly difficult to get the explosion required.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
06 Dec 2016 17:23 #16 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Tools
A long time ago someone said it was dangerous to cut and washed out fuel (diesel ) with soap let sit for a couple of days then grind off the old fuel sender and fill up points and you go and do something even worse i think ,dumb idea,

More
06 Dec 2016 17:30 #17 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Tools
Also is there a regulator on the gas bottle or has any one heard of flash back it is a device fitted to all oxy sets today if the torch pops the flame travels down the hand piece on fire with the flash back it only gets as far as that ,and i would not show any one that little connection you have as i think people of authority would not like it one bit.

More
06 Dec 2016 19:56 #18 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
When you have a hard to get to place and a bugger of a job what do you do?
Call SUPER TOOOOL,

Ok time to put the hinge back on, 4 bolts and nuts, first commandment of work shop, user correct tool, super tool to the rescue.
First two were difficult but eventually got it done.
Number 3 however was not so easy, the first nut went on ok but the lock nut would not start.
Second commandment, thou shall not curse. Third commandment thou shall not throw tools. Fourth commandment thou shall remain calm and patient.
Luckily I am calm and patient , had a good teacher when I was young, actually I had thousands of teachers, SHEEP, I learnt the hard way.
Ok so back to bolt number three, I had spent some 15 minutes trying to get it to start and was back at the bench for the third time to re tape the nut into the ring spanner. While I was there I had more bolts on the bench so I tried the nut on another bolt but it wouldn't start, gave it a few goes then grabbed an new nut out of a box full of them and it went straight on

Ewart oka 365
Attachments:

More
06 Dec 2016 20:05 #19 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
When you have a hard to get to place and a bugger of a job what do you do?
Call SUPER TOOOOL,

Ok time to put the hinge back on, 4 bolts and nuts, first commandment of work shop, user correct tool, super tool to the rescue.
First two were difficult but eventually got it done.
Number 3 however was not so easy, the first nut went on ok but the lock nut would not start.
Second commandment, thou shall not curse. Third commandment thou shall not throw tools. Fourth commandment thou shall remain calm and patient.
Luckily I am calm and patient , had a good teacher when I was young, actually I had thousands of teachers, SHEEP, I learnt the hard way.
Ok so back to bolt number three, I had spent some 15 minutes trying to get it to start and was back at the bench for the third time to re tape the nut into the ring spanner. While I was there I had more bolts on the bench so I tried the nut on another bolt but it wouldn't start, gave it a few goes then grabbed an new nut out of a box full of them and it went straight on

Ewart oka 365

More
06 Dec 2016 20:15 #20 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ok don't know what happened to the end of the story.
So as I went to chuck the nut in the bin I had a look at the thread, there was no thread

Ewart oka 365