New OKA-Box build for the Lee's 123

More
01 Nov 2012 19:00 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: New OKA-Box build for the Lee's 123
Forum Home > On the Road > New OKA-Box build for the Lee's 123

Tony Lee
picasaweb.google.com/1146117281102541343...r0wE&feat=directlink

should take you to an album with a selection of photos showing progress on this build. Most phots have fairly comprehensive captions to fill in a bit of the detail.

I'll add more as the job progresses.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

December 22, 2011 at 6:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Tony
Looks great, you've made great progress, we'll have to call in and have a squiz.
Peter
--
Oka 374 LT Van

December 22, 2011 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Any time. Won't be going anywhere until the end of January when I'll be taking a break in PNG for a month and then it will be back into it to make sure it is ready for the May trip.
--
Tony

December 22, 2011 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
Fantastic to read through the builders log with pics. Inspirational to say the least.
--
OKA #072

December 22, 2011 at 11:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
That sure is one big construction and you seem to be tackling it at great pace it should look very good when finished ,you did mentioned the cork floor tiles take a long time to stick ,i have layed them before and if you glue both sides give a couple of minutes to be come tacky then place them on make sure you get it right , i used cork glue for the job, good job keep trucking
December 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Progress slow and steady.

Few more photois added to the Picassa album. See first post for link.
--
Tony

January 9, 2012 at 12:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Tony,
Had a look at your build... what can i say but fantastic. your going to end up with a real goodin...
while im at the keyboad...
you mentioned the battery and its your build... have you ever seen batteries explode or gasses escape due to over heating and or nil ventilation? not a good thing.
re your noisy winch. We just purchased a small one for a Suzuki somethingarother ( small 4x4) it was as noisy as yours sounds. thought it was nackered. we pulled it apart and removed all the 'grease' and replaced with propper heat grease. worked a treet. try it might save you going nutty.
cando
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

January 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
"you mentioned the battery and its your build... have you ever seen batteries explode or gasses escape due to over heating and or nil ventilation? not a good thing."

My first project during my relativelky short stay at the Engineering Research Lab at Lucas Heights involved helping with a rig trying to simulate the heating of liquids inside a reactor by passing heavy currents (3000amps or so) through a SS pipe with water flowing inside. Couldn't get a mains supply big enough so I went to Garden Island to look at a submarine battery - or rather half a submarine battery. We ended up getting a large number of these single cells - standing about 1200mm high and weighing half a tonne each - in fibreglass cases.

Charging regime was strictly according to the navy handbook which I had to copy out longhand because security prevented me getting photocopies Doh!!! - but it was fairly common to come in in the morning after an overnight charge to find one of the cells split wide open with acid all over the place. Luckily they were outside and after the first one blew up, secured behind a high fence.

My AGM batteries have an easier life and the solar regulator has temperature regulation on it as well. No mains connection on board either so I figure a rupture is extremely unlikely and even if the regulator fails-dangerous, the maximum current from the regulator (=C/25) is not going to produce catostophic failure either.
The two AGM batteries are half the compliment out of the BigRig so have already had plenty of practice at being ignored and buried under a heap of stuff in the storage bins so I think they will survive their new job (where there is reasonable ventilation) OK. Me too since I will be sharing the same general air space.
--
Tony

January 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Re the winch. This was an eBay special - $75 for a 3000lb unit.
Guess the noise is to be expected from a unit where the planetary gears are filed out by hand on a sweatshop bench somewhere. I did pull it partly apart and added a little bit of grease, but maybe I should do a proper job and dismantle it completely and use a proper amount of decent grease. It wasn't too high on my list then but pretty soon sheer embarrassment will drive it to the top of the list.
Did try idling the OKA and the winch is considerably less obvious - and I can raise and lower it by hand if absolutely necessary - so if I can't quieten it much, I might try living with it. Camping early and setting out late as we do, I shouldn't ever wake anyone up
--
Tony

January 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Back into it after 5 weeks working holiday in PNG.

Getting there. Kitchen completed and bathroom too so dining area is my next job while neighbour from across the road sews up the canvas for the bedroom

--
Tony

March 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.