Bail Out Bag

More
02 Nov 2012 20:42 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Bail Out Bag
Forum Home > On the Road > Bail Out Bag

Dave and Pauline Gray
Hi all
Trips into Isolated areas need a fair amount of planning of a number of different things and it is important to prepare as much for the unknown as the known which brings me to the topic of "Bail out bag"
We have a small canvas back pack which sits on the engine bonnet in the cab between us and it contains what we consider are items for our bsic survival until the calvary arrives if we have to "Bail out" in unforseen circumstances and the following list is what we have permenatly stored in it when we are travelling.
Sat Phone /spare battery E-pirb 2x one litre water bottles small first aid kit some dried type packet foods 2 boxs matches hand held GPS small torch spare batterys for both, pocket knife 2 pairs of gloves 2 wet weather ponchos

Thats our kit and I will be interested to hear what other members have in theirs and I must add that the wife never goes anywhere without the handbag and the wallets and cards and any cash are in that while travellin as i know she will not leave the vehicle without it.

Cheers Dave
December 18, 2011 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Couple of space blankets. Shade/sun protection in the day and wind/cold protection at night.

Few metres of light venitian blind cord to rig up shelter from blankets or fashion space blankets into an arab-style headdress/cape

Why the gloves???
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

December 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Dave, we have an emergency Survival Pack (if we had to abandon the Oka or escape from it quickly), stored behind front seats in a back-pack. It contains (most of) the following items. Some items are in regular use and would have to be added when departing. If time permitted I'd probably take the camera as well.
It looks a lot but doesn't actually weigh all that much.
Tony, gloves are for handling rocks, branches and for insect/snake bite protection.

EPIRB
Electronic Flare/Flasher
Maps
Reading Glasses
GPS
Compass
Handheld CB Radios
Phone (NextG)
Water bottles (2 x 1 litres min, with filters so they could be refilled from doubtful sources)
Water Sanitising/Purifying Tablets
First Aid stuff
Survival checklist/First Aid summary
Aerogard roll-on
Fly nets
Clothes (jumper, jeans, hat, sneakers, gloves)
Torch (Head light)
Whistle
Mirror
Matches/lighter
Swiss Army Knife
Emergency blanket/shade cover and ponchos
Orange distress V-sheet or similar
Food (non perishable), sweets/biscuits/dried fruit
Keys
Money and Cards (Wallet or Purse)
Toilet roll
Pencil and paper
Contact details/address book
Transistor Radio
Spare (alkaline) batteries, AA and AAA sizes for GPS, CB's, Radio
Plastic bags and bottles
Plastic collapsible bucket

--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

December 18, 2011 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
All that gear and only a litre of water each.

Probabvly better to have just the epirb and 2 x 5Litres of water.
--
Tony

December 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Try carrying 10 litres of water very far!
And I did say "min".
--

December 19, 2011 at 12:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
You wont need to carry 10 Litres of water far, As you should always stay with your vehicle in an emergency.
--
David Hallandal
OKA-131 Home Page
OKA Camper Trailer
XT and LT Service Manuals on CD For Sale
20mm Spring Hanger Upgrade Kits For Sale

December 19, 2011 at 7:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
I was just making the observation that if you are going to go to the trouble of having a bail-out bag then it needs to be stocked with whatever gives you the best chance of surviving if your truck is burnt to the ground and you only have what is in the bag. Depends on where you are going, but worst case scenerio would be stranded in an isolated desert area with a totally burnt vehicle. All other cases except perhaps totally submerged in very deep fast-flowing water indicate a reatively intact vehicle and less need for a bail-out bag anyway.

Given that walking is rarely the best thing to do (although, in extreme conditions, I could walk a hell of a lot further carrying 5 litres of water than carrying none at all), all you really need - as in NEED - is a means of summoning help, and enough water to wait until help arrives. This means the epirb and or satellite phone and as much water as possible. Any thing else is obviously going to enhance your quality of life but will do little to prolongue it.. Food for instance, might be nice to have, but unless you do have plenty of water, eating merely accentuates the effects of dehydration.
--
Tony

December 19, 2011 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Pauline Gray
In a vehicle fire you dont get much time to react I speak from experence so I guess my kit is a compromise based on a little of everything rather than a lot of one thing and also I have it packed to stand a little rough treatment because it may be nesacery to throw it out of the truck even while trying to stop because i know we cant leap out of it like we could 30years ago carrying armfuls of gear . Water is the most important item I agree but i am not sure a 5ltre bottle would survive getting thrown so maybe a compromise of some1 ltre containers tucked away at points around the vehicle that is accesable from the outside that hopefully one of us could retrieve whilst the other fights the fire .

Thanks David and Janet your list is more comprehensive than ours and i can see the merrit in some of those extra items .also David H you are quite right about staying with the vehicle that is the first rule of survival and there is always the possibility of salvageing something from the vehicle after the fire has burnt out but you should also be prepared to walk a little if nessacary.
Cheers Dave

December 19, 2011 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick Whitworth
No mention here of yer most important items, fire extinguishers.
What type and where? One In the cab two in the camper, near bed and stove able to deal with class A (solid material) class B (flammable liquids) fires (Class C electrical and D burning metal not real relevant to OKA)
Co2 (Class B or C), Dry Chemical (Class A,B & C but need at least 10 lb unit) or ABC Designer Foam
automatic fire suppression sytems probably overkill for OKA but getting your hands on a working extinguisher can save a lot of grief
December 19, 2011 at 10:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Susi and Ruedi NT 001 ,have water tanks capable to stand a vehicle fire,that is a good idea,don't know what the cost for such tanks is, but at least you will have a decent water supply while you sitting put waiting for help.
Cheers,Joe
December 19, 2011 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Pauline Gray
Sorry Rick I guess I naturally assumed we all carry fire extinguishers but vehicle fires rarely happen while stationary unless maybe in the kitchen area and obviously we are all going to try to save our vehicles and ourselves by whatever means possible .
Cheers Dave
December 19, 2011 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Yes indeed we do have 2 fire extinguishers, and a fire blanket (which we actually had to use on a stove fire). All the other points are quite valid and are addressed in our Emergency Equipment article.
I guess the point is no one really knows what kind of emergency is likely to befall us, so you need a bit of everything.
This vehicle was burnt out on the top end of the CSR and it's still there. I guess the occupants were pleased to just get out with the clothes they stood in.

--

December 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.