Rocker cover/inlet manifold seal

More
14 Jul 2015 21:36 #1 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis created the topic: Rocker cover/inlet manifold seal
Does anyone know if the seal between the inlet manifold and the rocker cover is important? My Perkins doesn't have one but have noticed others do. The manual has a lower one on some and a higher one on others.
I also made a heat shield (scrap alloy sheet) behind the alternator to protect the alternator and put a shield between the inlet and outlet manifolds. It might be my imagination but the truck seemed to go a little better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2015 17:57 #2 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Rocker cover/inlet manifold seal
I spoke to Allight. They think the seal is just for dust. Early Perkins had an aluminium seal and later ones had a foam seal glued to the rocker cover.

More
09 Oct 2016 08:13 #3 by Peter Davis
Just took the rocker cover off in search of a way to stop oil leaks and found a bolt lying in the oil luckily hadn't fallen down a pushrod hole. The manual says it is the setscrew det2231236 and should be fitted correctly in the rocker shaft. Does anyone know info. Such as loctite to prevent rattling off, how tight, its purpose?
Cheers
Peter

More
09 Oct 2016 08:43 #4 by mort
mort replied the topic: Rocker cover/inlet manifold seal
Hi Peter I did pull all mine apart some time ago and if it is the one I am thinking of it is important as the oil flows through there to lube the rockers and does have a rubber seal so if not installed correctly it has the potential to leak oil and reduce the supply to the rockers. On mine there was no loctite and undid easily I have just looked up manual but no settings.
Martyn

More
09 Oct 2016 12:04 #5 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Rocker cover/inlet manifold seal
The offending screw is item 11 on this diagram.

In another Perkins manual it's shown as a "location screw for the oil supply connection" and engages with a hole in the rocker shaft, so it is important.

There's no torque setting but since it's quite a small screw, a torque of 10-15 ft-lbs should be adequate (others will no doubt correct me).

If anyone wants more detail on the Perkins Phaser range of engines, there are a number of comprehensive manuals available for download, from here or here .

Note these are large documents (several hundred pages and ~30Mb) but contain much more information than the Oka engine manual.

You can find others by Googling "perkins 1000.pdf".

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:

More
09 Oct 2016 12:27 #6 by Peter Davis
That's exactly the one David. I assume that the rocker rod rotates to find hole.
Peter

More
09 Oct 2016 13:07 #7 by mort
mort replied the topic: Rocker cover/inlet manifold seal
Yes peter it rotates easily
Martyn