Dash Cam

More
13 Feb 2016 10:08 #1 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis created the topic: Dash Cam
I'm thinking of upgrading the dash cam to one with gps. Has anyone got one with an internal gps which works under the Oka exterior sun visor?
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
13 Feb 2016 11:25 - 14 Feb 2016 04:26 #2 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Dash Cam
Peter
I got sick of getting GPS' on various items to work inside the cab years ago so bought a reradiating GPS antenna, it has an external little dome antenna about 30mm diameter which brings the signal in through a thin cable to a unit which is basically a fag power plug and then there is a metre or so of antenna which puts the signal out inside the cab. It works well enough for a tablet, phone etc to receive the signal in the rear body area too.
the phone we've had for about ten years now looks like this one but it was much cheaper

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 14 Feb 2016 04:26 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374. Reason: correction

More
13 Feb 2016 19:59 #3 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Dash Cam
Thanks Peter
That gives me a lot more choices of dash cams with gps.I'm leaning toward Thinkware X500.
Cheers
Peter

More
14 Feb 2016 06:45 - 14 Feb 2016 06:46 #4 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Dash Cam
Peter, if you've got a navigator which works in the Oka (our Garmin does), the dash cam GPS should work OK too. They are much more sensitive than they used to be, even working inside buildings.

A re-radiating antenna would help if not, but we haven't had to use ours for several years.

The Thinkware 500 looks a very comprehensive (if not cheap) unit. Our several years old $60 Navig8r from Officeworks works does the job, just (no GPS), but vibrates badly when stuck to the windscreen (Thinkware looks more stable), the audio pickup is poor (too much engine noise) and the video definition is poor, not helped by the very wide viewing angle. Time we got a new one, Thinkware would be an option.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 14 Feb 2016 06:46 by dandjcr.