Photobucket video test

More
06 Jan 2013 11:47 - 06 Jan 2013 11:56 #21 by Hal Harvey
Hal Harvey replied the topic: Photobucket video test

dandjcr wrote: Probably the easiest and safest way is to allow OiA's friends/family members to become site members then access is provided but controlled. A win-win?

No, not really what we're after - like Peter 196 I use my vehicle page link as part of a signature on other sites, so that any random can click on it, have a glance and move on - and those people aren't going to be bothered signing up.

Just for the record I've had my mobile number and email address publicly available for years on the old site, and it's never been a problem. Spam filters are much better now than they were a few years ago. I enjoy the very few phone calls I get and they've always been to do with OKAs. I understand it's not for everybody, but I can say the concern issue is over-rated.

Maybe we have to do two forum headers like we had on the old site. 'Members Vehicles - Public' (randoms) and 'Members Vehicles - Private' (logged in members only)?

Principal advisor to the Minister for Tourism, Liza Harvey MLA
... OKA 260 ... "I'm not leaving any sooner than I have to!"
www.byles.net/OLDportal/members-vehicles-public/5-oka-260
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2013 11:56 by Hal Harvey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2013 11:53 #22 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Photobucket video test
Is there any problem having the whole site read only to the public?

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
06 Jan 2013 11:59 #23 by Hal Harvey

Peter_n_Margaret wrote: Is there any problem having the whole site read only to the public?

Personally I'd like it that way, but I know (from members telling me so) that they won't post up some information because they don't want some of it seen; that's a fact. We're all old enough to know that people's beliefs are reality, whether we agree with them or not.

More
06 Jan 2013 12:05 #24 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Photobucket video test
Hey guys when it comes to smartphones and computers I am about as smart as an Emu heading for a fence or crossing a road but it apears to me that my phone has utube, flash player and Google play movies. When I try to open the video it don't promp me to load another programs.

Ewart oka 365

More
06 Jan 2013 12:19 #25 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Photobucket video test
Peter, Hal, I don't really have a problem, all my blog articles are open to the public and always have been. I do get crank comments attempted quite often though.

It's only a 10 second job to open up any part of the site to public read only if that's what we want. There isn't much that isn't already open, except for developmental areas. If you log out you can see what's already accessible.

I'll add a public members vehicles section. It's quick to move your's, OiA's and my posts across to the public category, and any one else who'd like their words more publicly available. That'll take 11 seconds.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
06 Jan 2013 12:29 - 06 Jan 2013 12:34 #26 by dandjcr
Done, please confirm it all works.

OiA, your friends/family should now be able visit your vehicle entry at this link .

Oka148 profile here.
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2013 12:34 by dandjcr.

More
06 Jan 2013 12:49 #27 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Photobucket video test
It seems that mine is OK, thanks (except I need a new link for it now), but it also seems that most of the site is open to the public, but for those who don't want that, how do they tell what is public area and what is not, if logged on?

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
06 Jan 2013 12:55 #28 by Hal Harvey

dandjcr wrote: Done, please confirm it all works.

Thanks David, that fits the bill for me. There will no doubt be some links here & there that will now need changing, but we can do them as we come across them.

I added in the OKA Prototype to the public section too. If others want their work transferred to the public section, any of the administrators can do it very easily.

Now, where were we? Videos... Can be made public or private by the person uploading them, but the whole video section is private anyway (doesn't appear on the menu unless you're logged in), so they're all effectively private. It would seem logical to have the section public, and then the individual videos private if the person uploading them wanted them to be so; but as we can't upload directly and are using YouTube etc links, they're all public somewhere out there on YouTube etc anyway - I think.

More
06 Jan 2013 13:05 #29 by Hal Harvey

Peter_n_Margaret wrote: how do they tell what is public area and what is not, if logged on?

I think the only way is by us changing the description of the heading to have (Members Only) in it - however ideally the header would appear anyway, but when somebody who isn't logged in clicks on it, they would be asked to log in before being able to get access past it. As it stands there are many site features that are invisible to people not logged in, and it would be a shame if that included OKA owners who aren't signed up and don't bother because they think there isn't that much on here... Though that is hard to imagine now that I say it.

More
06 Jan 2013 13:52 #30 by dandjcr

Hal Harvey wrote: Videos... Can be made public or private by the person uploading them, but the whole video section is private anyway (doesn't appear on the menu unless you're logged in), so they're all effectively private. It would seem logical to have the section public.

Hal, I agree since most of the videos are linked from public sources anyway, but they might not always be and members can change who can see them at anytime during or after upload.

However, I left it members-only during development and testing to ensure things worked fine, which they obviously don't quite.

As a SU you'll also see I'm experimenting with a Parts and Supplier section of the forum. There may be other solutions but this seems to be a useful way of enabling members to add information in a structured way. Comments?

Oka148 profile here.

More
06 Jan 2013 14:53 #31 by Hal Harvey

dandjcr wrote: I left it members-only during development and testing to ensure things worked fine

Ah dammit - I keep forgetting about stuff like that. Sorry.

dandjcr wrote: As a SU you'll also see I'm experimenting with a Parts and Supplier section of the forum. There may be other solutions but this seems to be a useful way of enabling members to add information in a structured way. Comments?

Yes, I was having a look at that earlier but just assumed it wasn't part of the publicly-accessible site - forgetting that regular members can't see it yet either. I reckon it's ideal, much better than the old site. Open it up to the masses I reckon David - a bit more for the administrators to follow up on here & there no doubt, but it will be worth it.