Tuner - DVD player DIN 2

More
02 Nov 2012 17:58 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Tuner - DVD player DIN 2
Forum Home > On the Road > Tuner - DVD player DIN 2

Hank Onthewater
The original radio cassette player is still in the dash of my LT. Most of us do not remember what cassettes look like. Even CD is passe. The current dash cutout is 180x50 mm (DIN 1)
There are a lot of units around with DVD, tuner, GPS and a 7" touch screen, plus/minus a few other things (TV, bluetooth, Ipod, USB, mem cards, mapping, WIFI, Internet, and a series of loudspeakers...). However most of these units require a DIN 2 cutout (that is 180mm wide and 100 mm high). The dash faceplate may accommodate that (although with losing the 3 horizontal cutout for the switches under the current radio), but the plastic fan housing under the dash is likely to obstruct such unit. The face plates on these new DIN 2 units is on many occasions even larger, up to 220x130 mm
Has anyone tried to install or installed such DIN 2 unit? Any information on model, modifications, location and wiring is welcome. Thanks.
Hank.
February 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Hank while I've not tried fitting a 2 DIN unit in the Oka i have fitted several single DIN units with all of the features that the 2 DIN provide to both the Oka and other vehicles.
The biggest difference seems to be be in CPU speed and the units response to button pushes, the one that was in the Oka when we bought it was woefully slow and I replaced it with a new unit which works ok but can be slow on occasions.
I don't use the NAV or bluetooth feature as we have a standalone unit for that but mainly use it for music and the rear view camera. the TV is ok but really needs a proper antenna to function correctly.
I bought ours on ebayat around $220.
I've assisted in installing 2 DIN units in Toyota's (both VMS and Polaris) and they do seem to work well but are big dollars compared to the cheap units on ebay, funnily enough they are not much quicker in performing tasks either.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

February 13, 2012 at 7:42 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.