Barrett HF Radio For Sale

More
20 Nov 2017 09:39 - 05 Dec 2017 09:32 #1 by OKABloke
OKABloke created the topic: Barrett HF Radio For Sale
For Sale
Barrett 2050 HF Radio
Fitted with All RFDS and VKS-737 Frequencies and many other Frequencies including ABC Radio
Remote Head
Auto Tune Antenna with fold down bull bar mount suit OKA
125 Watt Output
Selcall / Tone Call
Programmable up to 500 Channels
Transmit between 1.6 MHz to 30 MHz
Excellent Condition - As New
$1400

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD. $150.00 Delivered
### OKA Manuals Now Available as a Download ###.

20mm Spring Hanger Pin Upgrade Kits.

David
Attachments:
Last Edit: 05 Dec 2017 09:32 by OKABloke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2017 19:16 - 04 Dec 2017 19:21 #2 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Barrett HF Radio For Sale

OKABloke wrote: For Sale
Barrett 2050 HF Radio
Fitted with All RFDS and VKS-737 Frequencies and many other Frequencies including ABC Radio
]

They shut down a lot of HF sites last year or the year before.
Just not sure if it was ABC or some other one...

But the fellow that was saying so was peddling something else.
So I have no idea.
Last Edit: 04 Dec 2017 19:21 by Holmz.

More
05 Dec 2017 05:12 #3 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Barrett HF Radio For Sale
Holmz
NONE of the RFDS Bases were shut down.
The RFDS bases were taken over and are now run by the VKS-737 Network for all the Emergency Calls in these remote bases. This allowed the bases to be operated Via remote to give better coverage 24/7.

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD. $150.00 Delivered
### OKA Manuals Now Available as a Download ###.

20mm Spring Hanger Pin Upgrade Kits.

David
Attachments:

More
05 Dec 2017 08:31 #4 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Barrett HF Radio For Sale
Holmz, all RFDS bases are accessible via HF radio (selection of which is subject to atmospheric conditions) using the VKS737 Radio Network. See this VKS document .

Access can be via a base operator or direct using a SelCall function which all modern radios have (like a pin number on a keypad).

The VKS service is the most widespread and most used network and operators are available to provide assistance 24/7.

There are still huge areas of Australia which are not covered by the mobile phone service so HF radio remains a very important aspect of remote communications. We've heard several emergency calls over the years (even made one ourselves once) and they are quickly and effectively handled.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
05 Dec 2017 16:34 #5 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Barrett HF Radio For Sale

More
08 Dec 2017 05:07 #6 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: Barrett HF Radio For Sale
Hi you say one can get help 24 hr a day with VKS 737 just food for thought ....
On my last trip last year I traveled with 2 other OKA s while in the the middle of the Hay river track 2 am in the morning a member of one the Okas was complaining of chest pains so we tried to get in contact with someone on the VKS system ( sad I thought ) now the panic became a little strong as you can imagine...
so I pulled out the back up plan “ B “a SAT. phone rang 000 free call mind you and had an instant response from Alice Springs Dr . All went well and everyone is still alive although VKS is good and handy one should always carry a back up plan ... like I said the 000 phone call on a SAT phone is free

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security

More
08 Dec 2017 06:24 - 08 Dec 2017 06:34 #7 by dandjcr
Agreed Harry, a Plan B is a good idea because nothing is ever perfect.

Nothing wrong with sat phones (if kept charged), although service isn't always easily accessible. We also take an EPIRB with us, and a defibrillator, just in case, because even with good communications the tyranny of distance still remains, and we, or people we meet, are probably a long way/time from help...

The key to any means of communication/first aid is familiarisation. All members of the team including kids and spouses should be familiar with setting things up and using them so panic doesn't affect the outcome. We leave our HF radio/antenna set up and on the best channel at night so it's ready when/if needed, with a Selcall number chart on the wall.

David

Oka148 profile here.
Last Edit: 08 Dec 2017 06:34 by dandjcr.

More
08 Dec 2017 10:14 - 08 Dec 2017 10:17 #8 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Barrett HF Radio For Sale
We've had an HF in all our vehicles for over 40 years now, have used it several times over those years for medical emergencies through the RFDS and also VKS with great effect, never let us down.
We also carry a satphone on the Iridium network as a backup.
Our last little "disaster" in the far northwest of SA was while we were up in the Maralinga lands doing volunteer work when the torque converter in the trans cracked instantly immobilising the Oka.
As we have NRMA Premium Plus I called them and advised of our predicament, if anyone has rung a menu based phone system on a satphone it is a right PITA and despite several calls from both them and us we couldn't keep a conversation going due to storm activity so called VKS who sorted it all out, organised a tilt tray and then called us back with the arrangements.
The big problem with satphones is you must have the number you wish to contact where the VKS operators can keep ringing around to organise stuff until it is sorted. After a 200km flat tow the tilt tray picked us up from Oak Valley and transported us eventually to the Wrights shed in Adelaide where I pulled it apart, had it repaired and then reinstalled the transmission.
The NRMA picked up most of the cost of the tilt tray ride and we are ever grateful for the Wrights hospitality.
We also have a PLB for emergencies.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
Last Edit: 08 Dec 2017 10:17 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374. Reason: spelling correction

More
08 Dec 2017 12:24 - 08 Dec 2017 12:29 #9 by dandjcr

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Our little "emergency" wasn't on the scale of yours Peter, but we broke a rear spring (both main leaves) on the Mareenie Loop Road on one of our first Oka trips and I had no idea how we would get it repaired.

So I called in on our HF radio, more to notify them of our problem than seeking help, but Lou the operator took down our details (he'd never heard of an Oka before) rang around Alice Springs, found a place that had a second hand one and arranged for them to fit it for us.

I roped the axle to the chassis and crept the 300km to Alice. The spring was replaced on a Saturday morning in an hour, cost $80 and we were on our way. Our HF radio/VKS737 network had proved its worth. I doubt it would have been so quick and easy with a sat phone.

On the other side, we heard an operator relaying medical instructions to a lady whose husband was having a stroke. Very effective and reassuring while he organised for medical help to get to them. And we and others were standing by to render what ever assistance we could as well. I doubt you can do that on a sat phone.

David

Oka148 profile here.
Last Edit: 08 Dec 2017 12:29 by dandjcr.