OKA wheels and tyres

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Peter and Sandra OKA 374's Avatar Topic Author
More
02 Nov 2021 11:24 #1 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 created the topic: OKA wheels and tyres
For Sale
Four Steel 16" mine spec rims fitted with Maxxis Razr MT 315/75R16 tyres with 2/3rds tread left. $250 each
Rims all have dual valve stems enabling fitment of Tyre Pressure monitors on one and easy inflation/deflation via the other.
Two Hankook Dynapro ATM tyres 315/75R16, one on an Eagle alloy rim and one on a steel mine spec rim, both legal tread (approx 5mm) and have been carried as spares. $200 each.
I also have another three Eagle 16" alloys rated at 1550kg without tyres. Offers?
Located in Dungog an hour north of Newcastle NSW

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2021 11:59 #2 by fran philipson
fran philipson replied the topic: OKA wheels and tyres
Hi Peter,
Your tyres all seem to be wearing very evenly. On the Dana 60 diff I had on, the wear was even { same tyres } On OKA238 I have a new dana 70 diff and the front tyres wear very badly even with the wheel alignment set correctly. It has been suggested that tapered camber shims could correct this. The local truck align place fits them to Isuzu trucks and would fit them to my OKA . They don't know where to get Dana shims. Can anyone tell me where they can be purchased ?
Cheers George

More
06 Nov 2021 08:58 #3 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: OKA wheels and tyres
Hi George, for what it is worth, my camber looks way out, and I was getting very uneven tyre wear. I pointed out the camber to Reg Stirling and he said that is not the problem, check the toe-in. I reset the toe-in with just a tape measure and the tyres wear perfectly now. The wheels still look splayed out at the bottom, but tyre wear is fine.
Cheers, Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: fran philipson

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Peter and Sandra OKA 374's Avatar Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2021 03:49 #4 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: OKA wheels and tyres
George my experience is like Paul's once the toe in is sorted they wear pretty evenly until the wear typical of beam axles and leaf springs starts. That can be minimised by swapping front to rear at about 10k intervals. I never change direction (rotate) the wheels around the vehicle, Spare always stays the spare and it is usually the best of the previous set.
I've recently fitted 17" Method alloys and Yokohama GO16's in 37 x 12.5 size hence the 16's being for sale.
I was worried the taller tyres (100mm increase in diameter) combined with the tall gearing of the 6 speed Allison would be too tall but the 6BT doesn't seem at all fazed by it, only sitting on 1750 rpm at 100kph now.
I've also recently (relatively due to covid as haven't been anywhere) had the heavy duty knuckles fitted and we discovered that the old ones had been fitted with eccentric bearings to adjust the camber but as was my experience on Toyota's they had just "adjusted" themselves the the lowest point so were way out anyway. First time I had touched the knuckles and bearings in my ownership of 11 years and the were fine. Pauls HD knuckles are certainly of much heavier construction.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fran philipson

More
08 Nov 2021 18:27 #5 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: OKA wheels and tyres

Paul Scherek wrote: Hi George, for what it is worth, my camber looks way out, and I was getting very uneven tyre wear. I pointed out the camber to Reg Stirling and he said that is not the problem, check the toe-in. I reset the toe-in with just a tape measure and the tyres wear perfectly now. The wheels still look splayed out at the bottom, but tyre wear is fine.
Cheers, Paul

They do race cars with tape measures and/or strings.