Oka 041 for sale.

More
21 Apr 2018 07:17 - 21 Apr 2018 07:21 #1 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek created the topic: Oka 041 for sale.
With great reluctance I have decided to sell my Okas. I have injured my right wrist and am having trouble getting in and out.

Oka 041 was extensively renovated and upgraded by Paul and Ian when I bought it. It has all the upgrades to make it strong and reliable. I have added a lot of sound shielding which looks a bit daggy, but it makes for a comfortable drive. I think it is one of the best Okas around - certainly one of the strongest.

Paul and Ian renewed or upgraded the following:-

Springs, shackle pins and bushes
Four shock absorbers
Front hubs, bearings, seals and spindles
Free wheel hubs
Front and rear limited slip diffs
Reco big steering box
Beefed up front knuckles left and right
King pin bushes
Brake calipers and discs front
All engine seals and gaskets, inc head gasket
Organic clutch
Front drive shaft, universal joints front and rear
Heavy duty transfer box front output shaft
Five core radiator
Water pump, viscous hub, alternator, starter
35 spline axles front and rear
Tie rod ends
Clutch and throttle cables
Six Eagle Alloy wheels with Goodyear Wrangler tyres about 50% worn

A previous owner added a rear air conditioner, stainless water tank, roof console and long drawers on each side under the rear seats.
It has twin tanks, twin batteries etc. The original speedo odometer had failed and I fitted a new VDO speedo with digital odometer and trip meter.

I advertised it on Gumtree a few days ago but pulled the ad because I was plagued by people who should never own an Oka - I got questions like "Are there enough Oka service agents around Australia for our big loop next year?". And a lot of would-be scammers.

Call me on 0408 106 422 with any questions, or if you would like more pictures.

Cheers, Paul

Last Edit: 21 Apr 2018 07:21 by Paul Scherek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2018 18:45 - 21 Apr 2018 18:47 #2 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Oka 041 for sale.
Sorry to hear about the wrist.
But I would appreciate any insight on the sound deadening work: dry:
(I am thinking mine seems a bit noisy...)

Now that drawer seems tidy...
Are the east mounts altered?
What draw did you use? Wit
Width, height, length, model/make?
Last Edit: 21 Apr 2018 18:47 by Holmz.

More
21 Apr 2018 22:07 - 22 Apr 2018 07:33 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Oka 041 for sale.

Holmz wrote: But I would appreciate any insight on the sound deadening work: dry:
(I am thinking mine seems a bit noisy...)

The engine cover is the biggest source of noise. Check that it seals well and double the thickness of the sound deadening under the cover.

I also lined all exposed metal surfaces in the cabin, especially the sides of the engine cover, with foam (yoga mat works well) covered with Wonderwall (type of nylon car/wall carpet, occasionally available at Spotlight, also called "Front Runner"). Also added sound deadening under the seat bases and floor coverings. Dynamat seems popular but cheaper material works well too. I've used sound insulation foam from Whitworths. .

Use closed cell foam for floor/exposed surfaces where possible to avoid water absorption, or seal the edges.

Wrapping the air inlet snorkel pipe will help, and you could add some foam to the insides of the doors to reduce drumming.

The insides of the panels are covered with original Oka sound deadening material with a thin metallic covering, which rips and tears. It can be repaired with aluminium flashing tape from Bunnings/Officeworks). Note: both are conductive so keep them clear of any exposed electrics.

All this work made a huge difference to the noise level and looks a lot better too.

As Okas age, the black foam roof lining starts to dry out and crumble and falls down making a big mess. This is a difficult and messy job to fix and I haven't found an easy answer to that problem yet.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 22 Apr 2018 07:33 by dandjcr. Reason: Added some more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
21 Apr 2018 22:13 - 21 Apr 2018 22:19 #4 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Oka 041 for sale.
Paul, sorry to hear you're selling your okas, must a difficult decision to make. Oka 41 looks in really good nick.

Hopefully you'll keep in touch via the forums. Selling your Okas doesn't mean all your knowledge and experience goes with them and new Oka owners can benefit from your understanding of problems and fixes.

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 21 Apr 2018 22:19 by dandjcr.

More
22 Apr 2018 06:12 #5 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Oka 041 for sale.
Thanks David, yes, I remain committed to Okas - astoundingly good vehicles, best I have ever had. I am not selling the motorhome yet - I hope to make at least one more big trip, wrist willing. The next project is to build a motorhome on a Land Rover Perentie 6x6. I don't expect it to be as comfortable or as competent off-road as the Oka, but it will carry the weight of a motorhome and it is easy to get into!

Holmz, I agree with all David said about sound shielding. Carpet really is one of the best materials and readily available. On Oka 41 I made a plywood cover for the inlet snorkel, that helped a lot.
On the motorhome I also ripped off all the internal lining from the roof and passenger side panels and lined them inside with plywood. This made a BIG difference. The panels resonate and generate their own noise from road vibration, and the plywood damps that completely. It looks pretty terrible, heads of screws showing through the bodywork, but it works.
Do remember that a hole the size of a 5 cent coin can spoil all your other work!

More
24 Apr 2018 12:26 #6 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Oka 041 for sale.
Paul sorry to hear you are having health issues
Greg

More
24 Apr 2018 13:41 #7 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Oka 041 for sale.

210greg wrote: Paul sorry to hear you are having health issues
Greg

Thanks Greg, my own fault, I didn't listen to the quacks when they told me to rest my wrist - we were involved in our house build and I had to push on. It still might get better - I will give it a year before I sell the motorhome Oka. Meanwhile if I sell Oka 41 it will fund a motorhome build on a military Land Rover 6x6.
Cheers,
Paul