Sticking accelerator pedal

More
31 Oct 2012 20:23 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Sticking accelerator pedal
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Sticking accelerator pedal

Pete Fox
Hi All
We have had buckets of rain on the NSW north coast and since this has started the accelerator pedal has been sticking down on 266. I have put WD40 on all of the linkages I can see, i.e. inside the cab and on the fuel pump, but I can't see any way to get to the linkages once they disappear from the cab into the engine bay.
Any clues on this?
Also is there any way to lubricate the accelerator cable itself. Trucks I have had before have had grease nipples along the cable sheath, but there are none that I can see here.

EDIT: found the info in another post
Thanks
Pete
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

January 26, 2012 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
My original issue with my OKA's accelerator sticking was not with linkages. I had changed the fuel filter and diesel went down the cable wire and made the packing around wire inside the sheath bind up. I actually had to drill a hole in the accelerator pedal and put a rope on it and tied it up to the handle by the steering wheel so I could pull it back up so I could drive home. Nice since I had a judge, a commissioner of police and 5 or so other police on board.
Apparently the inside of them is like a hessian material and does not like any lube on them as they come apart and bind up, so I was informed by one manufacture in Perth. Did not have any hope of fixing mine and could not pull it at all once out of machine, was really stuck solid.
Replaced mine from memory from Robin Wade as I am sure Paul Knott has them too.
Hope this helps
ABE TONY
--
January 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete Fox
Got to the bottom of this one too.
The throttle cable is OK, after pulling the grill surround, AC condenser, radiator and disconnecting the accelerator cable the pedal still stuck down.
The bushes holding the horizontal shaft that the pedal is fixed to were as dry as a wooden God, so I mixed up some grease and graphite and all appears good now. I can only think that the bucketing we have had (we were driving in it) has washed out whatever was in there before. Not too sure this is a long term fix and I don't really want to pull out the radiator just to lube the inner bush again. suggestions ??

Pete
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

January 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.