Perkins factory air compressor

More
01 Nov 2012 19:03 - 01 Nov 2012 19:04 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Perkins factory air compressor
Forum Home > On the Road > Perkins factory air compressor

Ewart & Vivian Halford
Hi all, who out there has a Perkins air compressor on their vehicle.
Ewart
July 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Ewart, we have an 'original' air compressor. But not sure of type? Can have a look if needed.
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

July 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ewart & Vivian Halford
Cando I can get hold of one so I want to know more about them. I looked in the manual and there are a few differences but it sounds like the power steering pump sits on the back of the compressor so it must be tight for space. How has it performed?
Ewart
July 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lloyd & Helen Hoskin
Hi Guys, I've got the engine compressor fitted to mine and yes the hydraulic pump does bolt on the back of it. But ! the output shaft direction of the compressor spins the opposite way. So you have to split the hyd pump and reverse the vanes (it is actually quite easy). Also you will find that the splines are different sizes. If so take it to Enzed (or a Vickers agent) and they will fit the correct shaft. If you don't reverse the vanes the pump will not pump but fortunately no damage will result. Good luck.
Cheers Lloyd.
--
July 25, 2011 at 8:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ewart & Vivian Halford
Thanks Lloyd, how have you found the compressor and how long have you had it, how long between rebuilds.
Thanks
Ewart
July 25, 2011 at 9:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lloyd & Helen Hoskin
Hi Ewart, I've only done 10,000 km in the new engine & compressor, but I'm led to believe it should last for many years & I'm not aware of any servicing requirements as it shares both the engine oil for gear lubrication, & radiator water to cool the compressor head. It is designed to run automatically when the pressure drops in the air tank. This system as I understand is set up this way so it can be used for air brakes. It's nice to know that a full tank of air is always available for engine brakes, adjusting air bags and pumping up tyres.
Lloyd
--
July 27, 2011 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lloyd & Helen Hoskin
Oh yeah, it works really well and I"m very happy with it. Previously I had a big 12 volt Clisby compressor installed (3 X the size of a Big Red) which worked great but as the new engine had the compressor incorporated I went with it.
FOR SALE
If anyone is interested our Clisby compressor is for sale. It's in excellent condition and comes with a pressure switch, inlet air filter, 3/8" oulet fitting with copper pipe flex connection/heat sink & mounting bracket (mounts under passenger seat). $300 the lot.
--
July 27, 2011 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ewart & Vivian Halford
Thanks Lloyd, I did a google on clayton dewandre compressors but couldn't find much about it. Sounds like the original ones are a bit old.
Ewart

July 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seamus and Cate
Hi Lloyd - do you know how many cfm your compressor can do?
--
www.boldacious.com.au/

www.serendipityprojects.com.au/

www.portlandroadsbeachshack.com.au/

www.capeyorkblog.com/

www.sandfly-mosquito-repellents.com/

July 28, 2011 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris J
Lloyd, if not already sold I’m keen on your Clisby compressor setup, could you provide a price on postageto South Townsville, Queensland. 4810.
Regards Chris.

--
Chris and Janice Jones - OKA 166

July 28, 2011 at 7:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lloyd & Helen Hoskin
Hi Chris, Sorry about the delay. I'll weigh it and go to the post office on Monday and get an approx cost for you. It would probably be best if you give me a call and we can talk in person about the compressor and then I can send you some photos on the mobile. m. 0412 922302. I'm not sure about how many CFM but I'll have a look on the weekend. Cheers Lloyd.
--
August 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Those Clisby compressors were a good unit, had one in a previous 4wd and it worked very well. Liked the electricity though, had big fat cables to run it and from memory it was around 2-3CFM.
Made by Clisby in SA and built to last, I think you can still get bits from the factory, could a few years back anyway.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

August 6, 2011 at 7:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Peter Davis:

Has anyone successfully added a Clayton Dewandre air compressor? If so, the port for the unloader valve what unloader valve is required and does it need a governor. Where does the oil line attach to the block? What power steering pump mounts on the back? How does one remove the auxiliary drive gear from the timing case? Any assistance would be appreciated. It is for an LT but its probably the same as XT.
Cheers
Peter
March 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 01 Nov 2012 19:04 by dandjcr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.