02 Nov 2012 20:59 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Roof rack
Forum Home > On the Road > Roof rack

See this file for the photos in this post:

File Attachment:

File Name: RoofRack.pdf
File Size:902 KB

Hank Onthewater
Despite of the size of the OKA, there is surprising little storage space (if one uses it as a camper). To gain some 'space' I am considering to get a roof rack over the (single) cab, as I have a pop-up roof over the remainder of the van.
Does anyone has some designs, or ideas that worked or didn't work? Or it is just a matter to make a aluminium 'basket' and bolt it on?
And on the topic of aesthetics: does a roofrack follow the foreward slope of the roof, or should it be straight/level?

thanks
Hank
--
May fair winds be behind you, sun above, clear waters below, and a safe port ahead. And when in OKA van: replace "clear waters" with "firm ground".

August 5, 2011 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Every one around has been custom made I'm sure. Mine worked, done by a really good ali guy in Coogee, south side of Perth. Aesthetics are always personal opinion but I'm definitely a fan of following the roof line... can't see why you wouldn't, you have to tie everything down anyway.

--
Hal

August 6, 2011 at 12:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
If you have a rasied roof like ours, you can't even use a small roof rack (except for solar panels).
However, with a bit engineering there are lots of smaller places to store stuff in and around an Oka.
I recently made some under-wheel arch storage boxes and then wrote up an article here on these and all the other odd spaces weve used.
Regards,
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

August 6, 2011 at 8:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard & Beverly House
Hello Hank We have the original small Oka roofrack on the cab and Weld You Up Fabrications in Furnisdale made us the big rack with a ladder for the rear roof of Oka 080 as you can see in the picture. It's made of galvanised square tube and bolts into the threaded holes in the side of the roof and is very stable.
Richard
--
Richard and Beverly House Oka 080

August 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hank Onthewater
Thank you for the previous comments. Still, haven't made the roofrack, but decided the make it out of alu (32 mm square tubing), and found a company who will do that for me. Size is similar, slightly smaller as shown on photos of OKA # 74, but sloping following the roofline.
Before starting the construction I would like to make sure, that brackets for lights, aerials and other stuff, are included and in the right place and of the right size.
One problem I have not been able to solve: how to get a spare wheel on top. How have others solved that issue, or does anyone has some suggestions? I am not planning to carry a spare on the rack (as yet), however it is easy to include some sort of crane/device in the construction phase, if not a comlete setup, at least some brackets.
thanks Hank
PS hehe.... using alloy wheels as per other current thread makes the problem smaller, weight wise not $ wise
September 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
This shows my essential bracket - the bit of vertical tube in the front LH corner.

I don't have a photo of the rest of the arrangement yet, because it's never been used in anger; but what it is, is a plain aluminium derrick about a metre long, made of tubing that fits pretty neatly into that tube in the roof rack. It's a neat enough fit to swivel in it but not jam in it. There's a little boat trailer winch on it, and a flat plate on the far end with a fair size pulley wheel shackled to it. All of that is stashed away way down the bottom of the stuff under the bed. Yes, needs a pic I know, but it's not here. Later. But weld the tube in when the rack is made and that will be as far as you need to go for now. It does work, tested in the shed a couple of times, just haven't needed it out in the real world yet.
Incidentally that rack is 25 x 25 with three 25 x 50 crossbars.
--
Hal

September 17, 2011 at 8:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Hank,
you might be suprised at the cost of alloys, we chased around & got a good deal &when we bought our alloys & tyres.nThe cost of one alloy mag & tyre was equivelant to the cost of replacing onenew tyre on the 19.5rims.
Laura & John Oka 147
--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

September 18, 2011 at 6:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hank Onthewater
Thanks for the feedback. I suggested to the alu builder 25 mm square tubing, but he was adamant that 32 mm was required (he makes roobars, roofracks and has a general alu/SS workshop).
For hoisitng: I will include some kind of bracket as Hal described.
About weight of (spare) tyres: yes it is tempting to buy new ones; it is only money and if I take on a second job or smile nicely at the bank manager....... Although, I need 8 including 2 spares and 2 for trailer and 4 of my tyres are still 80% (Toyo 265-70R-19.5). Anyone wants to buy these?:)
It will be a 4-6 weeks before I start making the rack, but when fitted, I will post some photos.
Hank

September 18, 2011 at 9:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hank Onthewater
Roofrack is coming closer. But...... with 3 aerials and lights mounted on top....what is the best place to drill holes to feed the wires/cables through?
Hank
October 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Hank, can't help you with where to drill holes - my aerials are on the fibreglass poptop and the cables are concealed outside the canvas and inside the poptop - but I did get some derrick photos this week...

As it is stored, with the winch handle reversed (nut is just finger-tight) and the Dyneema cord fully wound on:

Ready to use with the winch handle swapped around and the cord fed out:

The winch is a 1200lb, 3.5:1 single ratio (light duty boat trailer winch). Seems ideal. I had to get a stainless one of course, because it's prettier.

--
Hal

November 17, 2011 at 1:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
It was time for a tyre rotation and the spares needed to go on the front, so the one on the roof was coming off after four years. Here's ten pics showing the sequence, and the time stamps tell me this whole procedure took five minutes, including unlocking the spare off the rack...

The entire exercise from the first photo above, through jacking up, undoing eight wheel nuts, swapping wheels, tightening eight wheel nuts, reversing the above spare procedure to lift the used tyre up and spending a bit long mucking around with the cable and lock, took 21 minutes, and believe me I was definitely not rushing. Surprised me how quick it was.
--
Hal

November 17, 2011 at 2:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hank Onthewater
Thanks for the good photos Hal!
Roofrack was fitted last week, holes are drilled, wires still to be installed, but need to take rack off again to add crane/derrick and to powercoat when all is complete. Have been extremely busy with work, and have been offline for 2 weeks because of faulty modem (hehe, just received the new modem this morning, Telstra could double their profit, if they were to make less mistakes....)
I will make some photos next week.(when it stops raining here)
Hank
November 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
Have to say Hal, you are using the WRONG winch.
It is better and much safer to use a clutch winch. They will not free run if you let go of the handle because you have to wind them down as well as up.
Mine is a 5:1, but my spares are heavier than Hal's. It can also be driven up or down with a decent battery drill.

--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

November 18, 2011 at 5:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim 414
Hal - Can I ask what size tires they are. Cheers Tim

November 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
>> you are using the WRONG winch <<

Completely correct of course, it is safer to use a clutch winch as Peter does, but in my defence in practice I would happily send a ten-year-old up there to winch it down - it's quite effortless, you just have to hold on to the handle (like lots of things). Because of the short length of 'cable' on there, the mechanical advantage is plentiful. But a vehicle manufacturer wouldn't build it that way.

>> what size tires they are <<

They are 355/80R16, 38.5" diameter (perhaps a little large) and 14.5" section width, weighing 55kg including the 16 x 10 rim.
--
Hal

November 18, 2011 at 7:11 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.