Forum Home > On the Road > Tourist bus falls over on sand dune

See this file for the photos in this post:

File Attachment:

File Name: TouristBus...Over.pdf
File Size:424 KB

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-austral...frg14u-1226100783175

This bus has been operating in the Lancelin sand dune area for years. Maybe an inexperienced driver, maybe just unlucky. The photo in the original news article was of the 'original' bus above, but it turned out it was in fact the 'new' bus (as below).

A mate of mine used to run the Lancelin roadhouse and recovery service. He participated in I think three OKA lie-downs. He says every one was as a result of angling across the face of a dune, rather than being straight up/down. None ever 'rolled' further than the first side.

--
Hal

July 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
They both look extremely top-heavy so any crossing any slope at an angle would be a serious risk, and reversing makes it even riskier since you have no chance to correct it.
I did the same thing myself several years ago on my ride-on mower, which is also top-heavy when I'm on it. A back wheel went off the edge of a path when reversing and it rolled over backwards trapping me underneath against a sheep fence for 10 minutes. I managed to switch the engine off but the battery leaked acid over me. The dog came over and licked my face but was otherwise useless. Finally I managed to get a foot under part of the bodywork and push it off me. No injuries but a healthy respect gained for crossing slopes.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

July 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
On the news tonight. It was the new bus pictured here, and it was an experienced driver, been doing it for years. There's a lesson there. The beach up that way has also claimed many lie-downs; one guy I spoke to who did it in a brand new LandCruiser was no hoon, was very familiar with the beach, just had a bigger-than-expected section break away under his water-side wheels, and ... plop.
--
Hal

July 24, 2011 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
That bus was not top heavy. Look under it, all the major stuff was built under it.
July 31, 2011 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
The 'after' shot certainly shows where the weak point is:

--
Hal

July 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
With a load of 35 people (more than 2.5 tonnes), 3 m in the air, it would be top heavy.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

July 31, 2011 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
the road rules/laws must be way different in WA if a vehicle like that can legally carry paying passengers on public land.
I would have thought that there was no way it could be legally road registered as a public passenger vehicle in any state of Oz.
As it is unregistered and therefore not insured for public passeneger use how can it be allowed to operate?
Even if it was operated on private land there are still very strict regs for public passenger vehicles.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

August 1, 2011 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
The bus is actually registered note the number plates.
The area that these are used in is under the local government act and they apparently can use these in restricted areas. Go to their own website and you will see the bus in action. They fill this bus all day every day and like most tourist business's at the moment is finding the trade slow and that would be very slow now unless he gets out the old bus.
They are really no different from a farm tractor as that is the base but with a big and powerful V8 petrol engine to push it along. The bus base that it sits on, is very well made and it is extremely heavily built so I do not think it really is as top heavy as on would imagine. Could be wrong.
It has always amazed me as an operator that it does not have TC plates which is our Tourism Commission ones as I have for my OKA's that I do tours with. We as every where else in the country have to get a survey done on our buses every 12 months. Have a look at the ones they use in Canada and Alaska for their wild life tours and the same in South Africa, not all are allowd on the main roads, some only in certain areas at certain times of the year and I think company is the same as it has a restriction on it.
ABE TONY
--
August 1, 2011 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
In NSW anything that is a public passenger vehicle (reg as bus) is subject to a full over the pits RTA inspection every 6 months. Everything from 8 seats and up. No just getting an inspection from the local mechanic, full over the pits, brake, shaker the lot.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

August 1, 2011 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
I am not here to get into a pissing match. BUT that BUS is not top heavey as you may think. If you will notice all major stuff Axles Tyres so on are very big It has a stable stance to it. I build Monster trucks here in the States I deal with the 2 1/2 Ton rock well Axles everyday. They weigh 800 lbs 363kg If you will look at those tyres they are 66" X 43" X 25" flotation terra tyres. I would say it was very stable. The top of that bus does not weigh that much.
August 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Maybe we should define what 'top heavy' is...? Either way it's a monster!!! Also, Aus Bight, it looks like a tractors front end but not sure about the back, looks like there's a diff in the rear end where as tractors are just one big housing in the rear... Looks about the right wheelbase though.
August 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Alister,
From what I have seen of it . I think it is based on a tractors 4WD unit and it can I think actually crab as well. The unit I was told was from a 4WD Case tractor that was like 4480 units they ran in the USA 300HP, when I worked over there years ago in the late 70's, I think that was the series as they where white. They were neat to use as one could go across the slope in a paddock and you set the steering on crab and they would counter the slope really neat. Hence they did not slide down the slope.
I have seen the unit but I was a long way from it last year, could not get up to it close. Would have liked to, as it looks great and sounds good, he has a really good business with it as it is really something different but he might get looked at his doings alittle bit closer now.
Peter I am glad I have my RTA in WA as they do not do have the shaker. But the guys do take 5 hours to pull the bus apart to do the roadworthy every 12 months and includes everything else as NSW does every 6 months, now that would be a hassle twice a year. A pain all the same but it has to be done so the buses are safe.
Regards to all
ABE TONY
--
August 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
That's not a monster.
This is a monster.

--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

August 2, 2011 at 6:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Pauline Gray
Hate to tell you this Tony but they have mobile shaker units here in WA .
Cheers Dave
August 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Posts: 510 Assuming we're not making cocktails here, could somebody please share what a shaker is?
--
Hal

August 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Pauline Gray
G.day Hal
A shaker is a mechanical device which consists of 2rollers set in the floor the vehicle drives on placeing one axle on the roller[a wheel on each roller] when the start button is pressed the rollers through gearing and ecentric cams become a severe corrugated road, it imposes load and stress on all the mehanical units ie. suspension steering components chassis etc of the vehicle in a way which the vehicle inspectors can observe if there is any parts of the vehicle are worn and in danger of failure [without them getting their hands dirty]
Cheers Dave
August 2, 2011 at 10:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Hal, it is one of the most fiendish machines ever invented. You sit in the drivers seat while two blokes and a set of driven rollers which can also move side to side, up and down and twist do their best to rip your drive train and suspension apart.

And you pay $165 for them to have their little bit of fun.

Not quite as bad as the TUV inspection in Germany - every two years.

They have a powered roller setup too and while I'm not sure what exactly went on, I was standing a couple of metres in front of my MH and they revved the guts out of the MH engine driving the rollers and all of a sudden the MH leaped off the rollers and came to a screeching halt just before I was a goner.

Then they did it again in reverse.

Obviously quite normal procedure and while the MH passed, I nearly passed out in fright.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

August 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Pauline Gray
Forgot to add I have only seen it used on commercial units
August 2, 2011 at 10:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Yep, i'll give you that one Peter! (Do a search for 'Big Bud' and you'll see a real monster!) Although what the hell were you doing in some blokes paddock!
How's the Centre of Gravity on that one boys!!!
August 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
It will be interesting to see what the risk assessor from the next insurance co thinks about the center of gravity....it maybe very grave for the business.
cheers,Joe
August 2, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Rodman
Those alxes are either 2 1/2 ton or 5 ton Rock Well Top loaders. Military Axles
August 3, 2011 at 9:37 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 02 Nov 2012 21:32 by dandjcr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.