How much grease

More
02 Nov 2012 21:33 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: How much grease
Forum Home > On the Road > How much grease

OKA 262
Hi all
How much grese should i pump into the greasable bits on the Oka. Heaps or just a few squirts?
stay well
Vidas

July 27, 2011 at 10:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ewart & Vivian Halford
Vidas if you have a grease nippel on the clutch thrust bearing I have been told to only give it a couple of pump twice a year.

Ewart
July 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Vidas, the purpose of greasing is to purge old, dirty grease from joints and to fully cover the metal surfaces with fresh grease.
So while a few squirts is better than nothing, it's better to keep pumping until all old grease is purged and new grease appears from all the joints.
It's messy job which I hate but it is necessary.
When greasing suspension pins, I prefer to raise the body to take the weight off the springs first. This allow grease to penetrate surfaces which are normally tightly in contact. For the same reason, grease the drive shaft UJ's while not under load.
I was also concerned about the clutch bearing since you can't see what's happening but a few pumps regularly is probably appropriate. If it squeals, increase the dose. It's unlikely that excess grease can contaminate the clutch surfaces since the thrust bearing is behind the line of the clutch plate and any excess would be spun off on to the bell housing.
BTW, front hubs should be packed with grease annually, especially before water crossings, since free wheeling hubs are not sealed and cold water can contract the air inside the hub, drawing in water, see this link.
Regards,
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

July 27, 2011 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA 262
thanks for the replies. I usually purge old grease.
I think the grease line to the thrust bearing is crushed and not accepting grease. any suggestions how to overcome this?
Vidas

July 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Vidas, try changing the grease nipple first, it may just be blocked or damaged.
If that doesn't work, if you remove the inspection panel on the bottom of the bell housing you should be able to see what the problem is.
The grease nipple is connected to the thrust bearing via a flexible (possibly telescopic) tube so the panel won't come away completely.
Regards,

--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

July 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.