Transfer case blown up!

More
02 Nov 2012 21:39 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Transfer case blown up!
Forum Home > On the Road > Transfer case blown up!

Andy (and Deb)
G'day all,
We haven't been in service range for a while, but now stuck while '055' Quoka has another transfer box put in. How lucky were we? After being remote for months - the big bang happened as we pulled into our sons place near Darwin. Could have been a lot worse. Saw the shaft yesterday, literally twisted the splined section of the shaft off! Mechanic said it may have had that section welded back together in the past!! Well it has to be fixed before we can return back to WA (Can't wait cos the fishing is better in the Pilbara and the Kimberlies.lol)
5K for a recon box or 10K new..... ouch
The XML 325/85/16 michies on alloys have been brilliant on the sand beach launching a 6.4m boat easily, quite often not even using 4WD with tyre pressure at about 20lbs.
All for now,
--
Cheers

Andy and Debbie 'Oka 055'

July 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Spew... at least it was in an easy location as you say. Is that an NP205 box?
--
Hal

July 20, 2011 at 2:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Vin 055 is a fairly early XT model so it should be an NP205. I thought they were bullet proof but it sounds like it might have had a hard life before A&D bought it.
Andy, any chance of a photo of the offending item?
Sad event though but I guess we've all had similar show-stoppers but they usually happen far from civilisation. All part of owning an Oka (or any car really).
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

July 20, 2011 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Andy,since 055 is one of the early ones you may have the 23 splines input shaft(assuming that was the failure) OKA upgraded their shafts to 27 splines later,if you are stuck I have an NP205 that I can lend you to come home,call me on 0419322443 if I can help you
Cheers,Joe
July 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andy (and Deb)
Hi all agn,
I'm no mechanic, and presume that it would be a NP205, and as far as bullet proof... apparently not after 'Southern Cross Tours' on the gold coast have had it.( An un-named oka mechanic once told me they were renouned for their lack of mantenance.)

I'll try to get a photo of the offending piece (or pieces), if they still have it in Darwin at the mechanics yard, next time I go around there. (We are staying with friends in Mandorah - the other side of the harbour from Darwin. 7kms by ferry, or 130kms around the harbour by road!)

Once again, I wouldn't know how many splines, will look when I take photo of the offending item. Also thanks for the offer of the loan of the needed bits, but one is on its way on TNT transport from Qld or Melb not sure, I think the mechanic got onto Paul Nott. (I'll phone you anyway, thanks Joe)

Your Oka looks great in the pics from the 4x4 show Hal, good on ya, keep flying the flag! (The 'owners' have produced some large trout ;))

--
Cheers

Andy and Debbie 'Oka 055'

July 21, 2011 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Andy, Debbie, Darwin is not a real bad place to breakdown, and Mandorah is a unknown secret, only 12 minutes from the CBD but a million miles from the city bustle.
We did both the long round trip by road and also the ferry across for dinner at the Mandorah Hotel. A great experience.
There are the remains of a crashed WW11 Liberator bomber in the bush a few km out of Mandorah. I wrote an article on it for the Wanderer magazine a couple of years ago. It's also on our blog.
The Darwin Show is on tomorrow and I'll bet the weather is great.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

July 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Posts: 199 Andy, how'd you gowith the repairs? Our son and family said they spotted you oka at mandora . If you need any help yell out. Who you got working on it?
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

July 25, 2011 at 9:55 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.