Sat Phone-prepaid

More
02 Nov 2012 21:44 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Sat Phone-prepaid
Forum Home > On the Road > Sat Phone-prepaid

Dave and Pauline Gray
Good day All
I have owned a Motorola 9500 sat phone for 11 years we have a $30 including $10 free calls per month with the Telstra Iridium system We have found this system to be reliable in all areas compared to other systems ie globestar vodaphone to name a couple now my query is the $360 per year we pay is quite dear for having a coms system that we probly only need for 2/3months a year in areas not covered by the mobile system and i understand there are some pre-paid options out there that have [a] good and reliable coverage and a pre paid system that dosnt expire after a couple of months as the telstra one does which means if you havent used all your cradit you lose it, Does any one have expierence or knowledge of a system that fits the bill where you can buy say $100 credit and if you only use half this year there is a bit in the kitty for next year,
Looking forward to hearing from you on this cheers Dave
July 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Me too, I'm on the same plan with my 9500. It has had bugger all use over the years and now one battery has died so I'm looking for another battery as well.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

July 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Garry & Chris
I spoke to www.kyle.com.au/ Sat phone is $750 before rebate out going calls 77cents a minute no plan 2 years to use credit

July 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Bajada & Jo-Anne Allchin
? As an alternative, are there any members who are using Sat email system ? ANT technologies as advertised in the Wanderer Mag ? Can live without a phone, but I do like my mail and Skype. I know the dish is a bit bulky, but is it heavy on power? Would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks Jo-Anne
July 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Someone asked me about the satellite internet recently. Reply was

Plans are at http/www.ausnomadtech.com.au/plans.php#glance start at $19 and go up to $100
Not hugely fast and not huge allowance either but they are shaped plans so you can't overspend and you will always have at least dial-up speed and you can swap up and down with just an email. We also use it on the rare occasions we are back at home base so don't have a separate cable plan.
$2850 includes a wireless router. Has actually reduced in price since we got ours
Setting up takes the same skills as satellite TV and can be done in 10 minutes. Look up elevation, skew and heading using program provided, set it up as accurately as possible (getting the magnetic heading well away from the vehicle to avoid false readings), using the satellite finder to maximise the signal and then checking the signal strength on the computer screen to make sure it is high enough. Rarely needs fine tuning and I do short circuit their anal instructions with no apparent harm to world order.
Been fairly trouble free although we did have the wireless router fail and replaced under warranty and once we lost service for a couple of days because of a mess up at Optus. If you do lose service they need to be notified so they can give optus a boot in the bum. Obviously major downtimes are picked up and fixed withing hours but our failure affected only a couple of subscribers so wasn't noticed until I complained.
Suits us because we can cancel the plan while we are overseas and then start it again with no hassles.
Can also use it for phone calls and in fact I did buy the phone and modem but never bothered using it because we have gotten used to never having phone service so just use email.
We don't use their email addresses either. Stick to GMail and let them know to use that email address for notifications.
They don't - or didn't have any form of download+ upload meter despite promises but if you insist - and you should - they will send you a weekly notification of your usage.
Dish is slightly larger than the unmounted spare tyre I have on the back so it is strapped to that when travelling. The feed horn and modems ride inside in a hard-sided case. The new camper box will have proper slide in mounts for the dish because the unmounted tyre will go on the cabin roof. Probably take the smaller satellite dish too since I will have the room. Can use the internet dish for TV too - but not simultaneously because the transmit horn is too big to get the TV LNB beside it, but you can change the LNB parameters on the VAST box and swing the dish a couple of degrees to pick up C1 and use the internet receiver LNB to feed the VAST box.
They used to have a good discount for CMCA members - three months free - but not sure if that applies.

--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

July 13, 2011 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hank Onthewater
never owned a sat phone setup, with now contemplating one for a Sea Rescue Vessel. And outback camping/4WD requirements are close to those of marine situations.
see link below:
www.isatdocks.com/Default.aspx
Call costs are approx $1 per minute, and plans lasts 2 years (prepaid). many commercial boats have those units, has a built in GPS, waterproof etc. Price starts at $800 for base unit, but with docking station and all the paraphanalia: $2700.
Internet via this unit is barely or not possible. But sturdyness, water/dustproof, and high level or reliabilty are all plusses.
Inmarsat is used (with stationary satellites).
Hank
--
May fair winds be behind you, sun above, clear waters below, and a safe port ahead. And when in OKA van: replace "clear waters" with "firm ground".

July 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Garry & Chris mention Kyle, and the relevant page there does leave me thinking Iridium is still the way to go for a phone/text system. I don't know if it lends itself to data or not, never done the research. The $750 mentioned ties to their Inmarsat phone though (different handset to Hank's isatdocks), and that also appears to be the only one offering prepaid (two years life) plans. Call costs are a bit hard to fathom, as they deal in 'units' but if the 77c relates, it's similar to Pivotel's Iridium. So given you only pay for it when you use it, instead of every month, it should work out cheaper. If it works like you'd want. Anybody own one?

I'm in a very similar boat to Dave back at the start, paying $35/month to Pivotel inc $10 free calls, which often go unused. We're both on the Iridium system. Does anybody have a solution for Iridium?

Like Dave said so much more diplomatically, GlobalStar absolutely sucks.
--
Hal

July 13, 2011 at 9:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
I own a Thuraya sat phone had Iridium.
Only have due to the requirements of needing one for the tourism part of the licence.
Costs $360 per year for 12 months, gives $10.00 credit per month for calls that I think gives you 5 minutes talk time for the $10 and then it costs $2.00 a minute or around that figure, and you can go on the plan and off it at any time, so if you do not want to have the service say for 8 months it does not cost any thing at all.
Only would use it in an emergency, and do phone someone every now and then to see if it works. Only had it for 2 years and they run off one sat but works well and clear when I have tried it.
Optus is the carrier. Cost out right about $980.00 new, the only problem is that the battery power is poor but on the later ones they have improved that situation.
They have brought out a better model since mine I am lead to believe.
Regards
ABE TONY
--
July 13, 2011 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Tony (ABE), I wonder if Optus still offer that plan or whether it might have been an introductory that looked like Telstra's and Pivotel's Iridiums. Kyle lists only $49/month, no calls included under Optus.
--
Hal

July 13, 2011 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Seems like the Iridium is probably still the go from previuos posts.
We bought our Motorola 9500 secondhand but with only 1m 30 sec call time from another 4 wheel driver who was giving up travelling full time and going back to work . It was about 3 years old at the time. We have always had a HF but when the chance came to buy the satphone for $450 connected and running on a plan with car and 240 chargers, soft case, spare battery and external magnetic antenna we grabbed it especially as it was in as new condition with only one call ever made on it to see if it worked. We've now had it for about 6 or 7 years and we've used it a few times mainly to ring home once or twice when in remote areas for kids birthdays etc.
One battery has just died (I've not been as religious as the PO about cycling them or storing fully charged) and I got a replacement for $23.
Yes it costs $360 a year but for peace of mind and the ease of use its good value.
We still use VKS on the HF and listen in at sked times as well as reporting in when in remote areas. These days though unless you are spending a couple of weeks in a fixed remote location we've found that it is rare to be out of Telstra Next G coverage for more than a few days when travelling. Wherever there is a mine there is coverage and even complete desert crossings only mean 4 or 5 days without. It is only extended trips like the CSR, a long Simpson crossing, Madigan route etc that sees you out of phone range for extended periods.
WA especially it is hard to be too far from Next G as every mine and town seems to have a cell, the complete length of the Trans Australia railway has phone towers every 30k's which means with a high gain antenna reception is possible 50-60k north or south. We've been camped at the top end of Rudal river NP and picked up signal from Telfer when on a high point. Wherever there is phone reception there is internet too.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

July 14, 2011 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Hal ,
I have the people here who bill me and althought they did not sell me the phone all the information is on this link www.astra.net.au/products/handheld.html .
For all their product range as it is AST and I am sure it is well known in the industr, they sell all types. The phonehand held company is owned by an the Saudia's or some one like it, the company supply is based in Perth for Australia and Optus own part of the sat system or something like that.
But if it is an emergency phone or such only they are great due to the price and the phone call structure which I believe is still in place as the phones have been around for some years now and well befor I purcgased mine. The guys whom I got it from here in Melbourne, now sell this package and sat phone more oftern to the mining companies than the others.
ABE TONY
--
July 14, 2011 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Hal
Just did some digging in the files that are not fully set up here yet and have some information
Australian Thuraya - Casual Plan ( 3 month minimum)
AST Casual Thuraya $60.00 /month
0 calls included in plan
Satellite National Calls $0.70 / 30 second block
There are a few other conditions on this short service availability scheme so it would be of anyones best interest to contact them for the terms and conditions
My phone is the SO-2510 model and can also be purchased as a normal phone included in it as well and is small and weighs only 130g. Size 118 x 53 18.3 mm
Phone features includes GmPRS, Location Tracking (GPS), Fax and Data at 9.6kbps and SMS
Hope this is more useful
Satelite House
33a Walters drive
Osborne Park 6017
WA
phone 08920540000
email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
web www.asta.net.au

Regards ABE TONY

--
July 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I spoke to Allsatphones 1300 653 332 at the 4WD show yesterday. Soon got overwhelmed with options but one thing I did get clear was that if you go off a $30/month deal and then on again a few months later and then off and then on etc, you will have to get a new sim card each time, which means a new phone number each time. That may or may not bother you.

For anybody in the market for a new phone, they do an Isatphone Pro that looks like good value; works on Inmarsat, $659 (you do have to go on a 12 month plan for that price). It's claimed to be the first handset purpose-built for the Inmarsat network, and along with all the usual phone/voicemail/text stuff has email messaging and GPS location data. The less useful feature claims are longest battery life (irrelevant to us) and being the only sat phone to support Bluetooth (who would ever need that?).
--
Hal

July 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I spoke to Allsatphones 1300 653 332 at the 4WD show yesterday. Soon got overwhelmed with options but one thing I did get clear was that if you go off a $30/month deal and then on again a few months later and then off and then on etc, you will have to get a new sim card each time, which means a new phone number each time. That may or may not bother you.

For anybody in the market for a new phone, they do an Isatphone Pro that looks like good value; works on Inmarsat, $659 (you do have to go on a 12 month plan for that price). It's claimed to be the first handset purpose-built for the Inmarsat network, and along with all the usual phone/voicemail/text stuff has email messaging and GPS location data. The less useful feature claims are longest battery life (irrelevant to us) and being the only sat phone to support Bluetooth (who would ever need that?).
--
Hal

July 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brendan Eblen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.