Just thinking outside of the square your thoughts!

More
01 Nov 2012 14:50 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Just thinking outside of the square your thoughts!
Forum Home > On the Road > Just thinking outside of the square your thoughts!!!!

okalover
Hi all,

Here is an idea as a result of thinking outside the square in relation to V8 diesel conversions and a possible way to reduce the cost, hassle, time and heartache. My question is this, instead of changing motor, gearboxes, transfer case adaptors radiators and a hundred other things that need to be done in a engine conversion (I know I have just done one in my 4x4) why not try this......

Doing a chassis or body swap?.... stop and have a think before I get flamed off the forum:D.

If one was to purchase a damaged 4x4 light truck from the USA say a Chev Silverado 2500 the GMT800 would be good it already has the Duramax V8, the Allison gear box and a whole lot of other good stuff. Take the body off and drop the Oka body on.

Then the entire drive train, braking, cooling, computer and possibly even the antlocking brakes all work.

Big job yes but so is putting all of that in a OKA and trying to get it to run as it should.

Just food for thought but possible.

I believe it might even work out cheaper as you can import the whole damaged car.

I would like some feed back please.

Cheers
Steve.
July 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okalover
Oh just a follow up thought, the steering might be a challenge
July 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete Fox
Only one problem.
As far as I know, all of the late model US trucks have the diff centre on the LHS. To fit the Oka you would either have to swap out the diff for a Ford type (with the same track) or swap the axle tubes over from the Oka.
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

July 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okalover
Hi Peter thanks for that but if I was changing the body that would only be a problem for the front diff for the steering box from the OKA, it must be possible just depends on the cost.
July 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
But the reason the OKA is good off road etc, is the long leaf suspension.
Even on road they ride good.
--

July 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
One of the outstanding features of the OKA is the robustness of the Hi tensile tubing chassis, personally I won't swap it with an american chassis, at moment it's early stages of the conversions, the way to reduce cost will be for half a dozen owners to opt for the same engine that way all bracketry, mountings and templates can be produced cheaper, Bullet in QLD offered two engine option for conversions, I think they are flat out at the moment with other projects as we haven't heard about OKA conversions for a while, I think prices for subsequent conversions will drop once they know exactly the costings.
cheers,Joe
July 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okalover
thanks Jack and Joe good points.
instead of USA i supose its possible with a Iszu 4x4 truck chassie, that would fix the steering issue and i think they have long leaf suspension. well not as long as a Oka but much better then a USA light truck. and have a better motor set up then the Oka.

July 30, 2012 at 7:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
suggest you take an Isuzu for a run and then and OKA. Then you will see the light. Nothing really wrong with an OKA engine, just a little slow and underpowered. Plenty vehicles suffer the same.
Not sure what steering issue you are refereing to. Early OKA`s did have a different steering box, this can be replaced.
--

July 30, 2012 at 7:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

okalover
hi jack the stearing i was talking about was converting it from LHD to RHD
July 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Not sure which chassis the allterrain wanderer is built on but even with longer springs and very modified other bits and pieces (air seat??? can't remember), it was a real neck-jerker just driving it around the rural bitumen roads.

Any other chassis beside the OKA one, you would NOT be able to fit any OKA body module to it - even the front cab probably - without adding a torsion-free subframe in between.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

July 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okalover
thanks tony i was not sure about that but seems u have sorted it out for me
Cheers
July 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

oka 098
that is a long way from that square,
July 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
I went into this problem when I first started thinking about a new toy. Even pretty much decided to spend $220,000 on one of the fancy units (with torsion-free mounting) until I actually drove one for a few minutes.

Then I started looking again and found this forum (or the original forum) and ended up with the OKA.
Interesting to look at videos of vehicles with torsion-free mounts and see the fairly large angle bewteen the front cab and the rear box. Certainly didn't see any evidence of angular movement in my crewcab with trayon-type camper on the back when we went across the simpson a couple of years ago, but I was still concerned enough to ask the question here when I planned to build the rigid box on the back.
Pleased to report that despite some pretty vigourous gymnastics during this trip, the fact that I have a absolutely rigid box glued firmly to the cab and there is no sign of cracking or distortion, shows that the OKA chassis really is as close to perfectly rigid (in torsion) as it is possible to get.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

July 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.