Stale fuel

More
30 Oct 2012 16:22 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Stale fuel
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Stale fuel

Paul Scherek
Hi all,
I have had about twenty litres of fuel in each tank for nearly two years. Am I likely to have a problem if I just start it up as usual? It was last started about six months ago, and ran fine then. Grateful for any advice.
Thanks,
Paul
July 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Paul it will depend on whether it has been sitting outside or garaged, if outside I'd loosen the drain plugs and see if you get any water from condensation in the tanks.
If it has been garaged then it should be ok, might be worth disconnecting the fuel solenoid and cranking it over on the starter to circulate the oil fiirst if it has been six months since it last went.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

July 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
My bigrig has been up on blocks for about three years with the 700 litre tank 1/4 full. Decided it was a bit of a waste leaving it there so filled one of the OKA tanks with it and had new fuel in the other tank. Did expect to notice a difference but on the trip to Birdsville, couldn't tell.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

July 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
Thanks Peter and Tony for the replies - you have set my mind at rest. I will let the oil pressure come up before I let it start.
Cheers,
Paul
July 3, 2012 at 8:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Rememer though that the old Perkins is old school and will run on just about anything oily, the same doesn't apply to these new fangled things which seem to have a heart attack if there is a whiff of contamination.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

July 3, 2012 at 8:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

T & D Morris
Hi
My brother in-law drives road train suppling mine sites with fuel east and north of Kalgoorlie and told me the trucks use Fuel Set in their fuel tanks.
The companies has conducted test and found they get better economy.
He swears he gets and extra 40klms out of a tank in his 60 series cruiser running Kalgoorlie to Perth and back.
I have used it for the last 10 years and can't see a difference in fuel economy but I use it for the anti-fungal and keeping the fuel system clean.
I use a cap full each time I fill up.
I will add photos of the container in my photo gallery.
--
July 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.