De-rating GVM to 4.495t

More
03 Nov 2012 06:36 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: De-rating GVM to 4.495t
Forum Home > On the Road > De-rating GVM to 4.495t

dingo
I have been procrastinating over this for some time. With rego now due and the Qld main roads catching up to me for not having an annual truck inspection for a little while (10 years) I am going to take the plunge. I estimate that with an ally tray, pro-comp mags and other weight saving weasures with the cabin skin I can get the unloaded weight down to 3.5t which will give me more than enough load capasity for my use.
This will save me about $800 a year in rego at the moment plus allow more tyre choices (added savings)
I will keep you informed of the process/progress.
Hense the "for sale" for my brand new hydraulic PTO Winch kit (tears)
Tim Forsyth
June 28, 2010 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Geoff
I am starting on the same path, last year it failed inspection due to a missing rubber grip on the air vent control. This year I'm following your lead, 3.5t from 4.3t. From that the bus seats are out the roof rack has gone with the rear wheel carrier. A pop top will be put on and the inside decked out.
Geoff
August 27, 2010 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Garry & Chris
I just got rego renewal due next moth Qld for $868.16 How can you save $800 0n that??? Std 5.5 tonne motorhome
August 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Will require a lot of attention to detail to get a useable rig under 4,5T

Collyn Rivers did it and you might get some clues by reading his entry on the old forum.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

August 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
How does one get access to the old forum? Are all the old posts going to migrated here?
--

August 29, 2010 at 7:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I think the old forum is on the heading of Oka owners group and under the contents section
August 29, 2010 at 9:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Most of the posts and subjects on the original forum have been transferred over to this one. I will get the rest done but have been travelling a fair bit lately, and unlike many others, I seem to have less time available when travelling, not more!

That aside, I have been through the remaining posts on the old site and couldn't see anything from Collyn about the subject; but in the Members' Okas (Private) section of this site, I have reproduced his original profile from the other site. XT168 has since been sold to Paul & Sue Crompton and is now based in Queensland.

Part of it reads:
"I next mocked up the interior using angle and plywood and we used the truck like that for some months to see how it all worked out in practice. This proved very valuable as some things that seemed fine at home proved impractical on the road.
My original background as a GM research engineer working with the big R-type Bedford had made me aware of the absolute necessity to reduce weight for off-road travel. I calculated the weight of everything that was to be done - and was dismayed to find that it was close to 6 tonnes. A surprisingly large amount was in cupboards, shelves etc (even made in plywood), so used aluminium framing and sheeting throughout, powder-coated white. Doors and bench tops were timber, but recessed, excepting for outer edges to save weight. Sliding wire baskets were fitted inside all cupboards. The entire interior weighs under 60 kg (instead of the estimated 450 kg using conventional materials).
Further weight was saved by scrapping the spare wheel ladder system, locating the wheel instead by a light tubular rack that doubles as a firewood carrier. (Once in position the wheel is held by a big J bolt), replacing the air-operated steps, replacing the steel chains that hold the mudflaps by heavy terylene cord (saving about 15 kg!) and an innumerable other small weighs...
The original twin fuel tanks were replaced by twin rectangular tanks, each holding 190 litres. I also had made up a 110 litre water tank, and a second 120 litre tank that fits snugly at the rear between the wheel carrier and the underneath spare wheel.
There's a 12000 lb winch at the front.
All up, with full equipment on board, including 230 litres of water, 380 litres of diesel, four batteries, all tools plus everything we need for months on the road, the all-up weight is only 5.2 tonnes."
--
Hal

August 29, 2010 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
I wonder where he got his tanks made? Square tanks hold more fuel and also looks better IMHO.
--

August 29, 2010 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
That will be a subject for another thread when I get a sec, but one source is Roger Beimers from Long Range Automotive in Melbourne (03 97395667). He's just done some 203-litre replacement tanks. Pics will appear on another thread.
--
Hal

August 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
I just started one..... under OKA Maintenance. I found a supplier of tanks, seems pretty cheap if they fit.
Dont have the OKA yet to measure it up.
--

August 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Yes, that's the one Hal.

Mine weighs 5.7tonne with all tanks full and I would have to do without a lot of luxuries if I had to get it down to below 4.5T.

Some use the reasoning that it is OK if the weight over the weighbridge with all food, belongings and fuel and water out of the vehicle because they are only going to really fill it up when going off-road. Unfortunately this only applies if you are gouing to stick to private property. Even in the unincorporated sections or national parks, vehicles must comply with the regulations of the state.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

August 30, 2010 at 9:07 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.