More
03 Nov 2012 06:59 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Dunlop 265/70/19.5 tyres
Forum Home > On the Road > Dunlop 265/70/19.5 tyres

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Glenn Attwood:

Hi
I would like to hear comments from anyone running Dunlop 265/70/19.5 tyres.
Also if anyone knows of some 19.5 rims 4 sale please contact me.
Cheers
Glenn OKA 309
June 7, 2010 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
I run 265/70/19.5 Hankook's AM02 Construction and Pattern Design on one of my OKA and I do beach work and allot of back gravel roads and also dirt tracks combined with limestone country, for tours out of Esperance and for taking DEC firefighters around to drop off on their fire trails made with bull dozers and if I am lucky a grader. I have done well over 160,000 Kms with them and they are 4 season's old. I run them on the beach at 25 to 35 psi and up to 60 psi on the road. i do have air bag suspension and can at 60 psi and at 6.5 - 7.0 ton travel at 100 kph on any given rough track, corrugated or not and I am pleased with them. They are not rough and still have 30 or 50,000 left in them. I will be how ever replacing 2 with new ones as they are splitting a bit on the side from so much low pressure running on the beach and up Wylie rock which is 46 mt high and is 45 plus degree slope and granite and it damages them a bit at 35 psi. People will never agree on tyre selection but I have found these out standing. I also run 8.25 X 16 inch on the other bus, they give me 35,000 kms doing the same work. You can go for 285/70/19.5 or you can also go for 325/70/19.5. However the wider the tyre on the rim we have, you run the chance with the OKA 19.5 rim of damaging the tyre wall if you run them for any length of time say on the Canning stock route etc. You have to weigh up your needs. I actually also run 255/16 the replacement for the original 9.00 X 16 inch tyres as well. they all have their place just depends on your needs.
The 285 profile nearly matches the original 9.00 tyre but you can easy recallibrate the speedo's on the OKA. (see Forum posts here and it is described for you.
Regards
Tony
Good luck picking the right one for your needs.
--
June 7, 2010 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Tony, any experience with Michellin XDE2 compared with the Hankooks

--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

June 12, 2010 at 2:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
I know their are allot of people running the Michellin tyres in the larger ones than my 265/70/19.5 and they all like them and have good mileage to the best of my knowledge. Personally I have not used them as my Hankook's have been simply amazing mileage and not even on flat in 5 seasons, and I use them commercially as I am a tour operator in adverse conditions and I would not change my pattern due to the type of off road that I do. However with Michellin's other tyres that I have used on 4x4 they where fine but the truck range could be different but I doubt it. I am sure there are users of the tyres that could comment better than me on the site.
Regards
Tony
--
June 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Glenn Attwood
Aussie Bight Expeditions at June 7, 2010 at 5:56 PM
I run 265/70/19.5 Hankook's AM02 Construction and Pattern Design on one of my OKA and I do beach work and allot of back gravel roads and also dirt tracks combined with limestone country, for tours out of Esperance and for taking DEC firefighters around to drop off on their fire trails made with bull dozers and if I am lucky a grader. I have done well over 160,000 Kms with them and they are 4 season's old. I run them on the beach at 25 to 35 psi and up to 60 psi on the road. i do have air bag suspension and can at 60 psi and at 6.5 - 7.0 ton travel at 100 kph on any given rough track, corrugated or not and I am pleased with them. They are not rough and still have 30 or 50,000 left in them. I will be how ever replacing 2 with new ones as they are splitting a bit on the side from so much low pressure running on the beach and up Wylie rock which is 46 mt high and is 45 plus degree slope and granite and it damages them a bit at 35 psi. People will never agree on tyre selection but I have found these out standing. I also run 8.25 X 16 inch on the other bus, they give me 35,000 kms doing the same work. You can go for 285/70/19.5 or you can also go for 325/70/19.5. However the wider the tyre on the rim we have, you run the chance with the OKA 19.5 rim of damaging the tyre wall if you run them for any length of time say on the Canning stock route etc. You have to weigh up your needs. I actually also run 255/16 the replacement for the original 9.00 X 16 inch tyres as well. they all have their place just depends on your needs.
The 285 profile nearly matches the original 9.00 tyre but you can easy recallibrate the speedo's on the OKA. (see Forum posts here and it is described for you.
Regards
Tony
Good luck picking the right one for your needs.
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply to wich I find very interesting that you get such good milage out of these 265 Hankook,s. What is the width of your 19.5 rims? I want to go for a wide tyre but do not want problems with side walls when I deflate and inflate them as i do regulary and understand there is two types of widths you can get in the 19.5 rims. The other Oka you have doing the same work with 8.25 16 seems like a bad deal at 30,000 km what brand and tyre pattern are they as I have 16 rims at the moment with Michelins and looks like not much better milage and does not like being below 28 psi with 5 ton.

Regards

Glenn.
June 14, 2010 at 7:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Hi Glen
I am in Melbourne at the moment and do not have the OKA with me. However the rims are the same size as the original ones that they made for the OKA's as mine came from Robin Wade. I did not know that they made 2 sizes, the only different ones to my knowledge are the ones done on the railway buses and some that went down the mines and they had thick plate base plates due to the extra stress they went under and in the mines corrosion was a problem so they made the rims more solid. The other ones people had made themselves as the original ones where not cheap and people converted normal 19.5" rims that are used on allot of trucks. Having said that you could go the next size up and still not have any trouble with the side walls. My theory is do not go any wider in the tyre base than your rim and you do not get the walls flexing down and inwards at the same time which I have seen on the really wide 19.5" Of course you can go further with the wider tyres before you let them down and they have a much larger footprint any way and that is the secret to sand driving any way. Good low down torque is just as important as if you can keep your speed up then one does sink as far down in the sand so you float better on top which is what you are trying to achieve in the first place.
Tyre selection for use is really a compromise as we really do not have a great selection sold in this country. Going for the LT tyres on 16" and the 18" like one you can buy from Pro Comp as I run on my ute are expensive and I do not see them having great mileage as although we drive what is classified as a light truck we would be running them to their limit all the time and that would not be good, especially since I carry passengers.
You can actually in Europe get 355/70/19.5 tyres and up to 435/55/19.5 as they replace the dual tyre systems on the trucks.
The tyres that I use in my size are used on Low Loaders for carry heavy amounts of weight everywhere in Australia and are easy to buy that is why I bought them.
As for the 16" tyres on the other I think they are Dunlops but have some that are Hankooks but I do not use the bus at the present due to the lack of business due to the down turn in tourism since the economic down turn 2 years ago.
Rim size for the 19.5" I assume is 8 inch or 10, sorry but I have never looked, will try and find out.
Regards
Tony
June 14, 2010 at 8:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
my "standard" OKA 19.5" rims are stamped as being 7.5" wide
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

June 14, 2010 at 8:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
David Hallandal and Peter Wright both have 19.5" rims made at 8.25" wide. That's probably the wider width you're thinking of and is a requirement for 305+ width tyres, but not 265s or 285s. If you use the search box in the sidebar to search this site for "8.25", you'll find a couple of other relevant threads.
--
Hal

June 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.