pop top

More
07 Nov 2012 16:22 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: pop top
Forum Home > On the Road > Pop top

Wayne & Belinda
We are in the process of doing up our oka as a motor home and would like to put a Pop top on it. We live at Donnybrook Qld (near the sunshine coast) and are having problems finding anyone who does this. Could anyone tell us if they know of someone.
June 22, 2010 at 9:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
Try All Terrain Warrior in Yandina.
Good people too, and charge appropriately :).

Cheers,
Peter
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

June 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul & Sue Crompton
Hi Wayne & Belinda, welcome to the Oka group. I own an Oka with a pop top and live just down the road from you at Kobble Creek (near Dayboro). I am not sure what configuration your Oka is ie bus, but this maybe of some help.

I believe there was a mould made up for my vehicle which made 2 tops to suit Oka buses. The mould maybe still floating around down south somewhere. Collyn Rivers maybe able to help you find where the mould is as the vehicle belonged to him previously.

A more economical way is to perhaps buy a second hand pop top which I have done before but you need to do your homework as far as fitting. Also some of the small pop top caravans maybe suitable. I have found the easiest way to do this conversion is to buy the whole roof section including the sock and fibreglass top. You could try some of the wreckers to see if they have any written off campervans, they are around. You may also need an engineer's certification for this as well. I am not sure what the requirements are for Okas as the cab has a certified rollover protection and the rear of the vehicle should not make much difference to this protection. You would need to check this detail before any works are undertaken.

If you wish to have a look at mine, you are more than welcome. Just give me a ring (3289 9180).

Cheers for now.
Paul Crompton - Oka No. 168

--
Paul & Sue Crompton

June 30, 2010 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Wayne & Belinda
Thanks everyone for your help. We have contacted All terrain at Yandina and a guy came to have a look. He said they can do it but without the mould we are looking at extra cost. We have a fellow coming out from Caboolture Caravan Repairs in the next couple of weeks he said they will deffinitely be able to do it so we are waiting on his quote.
July 2, 2010 at 10:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

HUGO
Can do an aluminium poptop roof with sock and flyscreened windows for you, takes approx 4 weeks, priced at $6500 incl. GST.
Check us out, www.customcoasterconversions.com.au
I did one before, on my own OKA, OKA 195. Haven't got any digital pics, I would have to go and look for the original pics and scan them in if you are at all interested.
Regards HUGO 0427614935
July 3, 2010 at 10:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Peter 334:

To any one whom have a pop top, we are having a bit of trouble in the lifting side, first we had 4 x 700 long scissor lifts placed on the long side of the roof and all was well, it lifted easy, the trouble was it was too hard to pull back down again both of us and no go. Our roof is all aluminum extrusion outer and battens, roof top, insulation and ply ceiling, not a lot of weight as it takes two people to lift with ease. So I changed the four lifts to 2 x 1000mm lifts and the roof is very wobbly. Put two hydraulic lifts on the end and still no good. Any solution would be great. It's starting to pee me off cheers Peter
April 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Peter & Sandra James Oka 374:

Peter
Have a look at our photos of 374, we copied 147/John and Laura's setup with a scissor lift on all 4 sides, They worked really well untill I stuck two 125w solar panels on the top so then I fitted a gas strut on each long side. The poptop goes up and own ok now and it doesn't move or wobble at all when up even in gale force winds, or at 100kph and no I'm not admitting to anything ;-)))

--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Wayne & Belinda, don't know if you remember our #147 from Gatton we have pop top in ours. We gave the drawings to several other Oka owners Peter & Sandra ( see above note ) Rick Whitworth in Geelong Vic, John brother & several others have all built their own pop top from the drawings. As Paul & Sue Crompton ( also at Gatton rally ) were saying there is a mould for the fibreglass top that Colyn Rivers made up, a few years ago Igor from I&D Industries at Dural/ Dundas in NSW had the mould stored, he is a panel beater body builder( advertises in the CMCA magazine) .There are some photo's of ours in the photo albums page if you want a look.Also maybe contact Rick Whitworth via webpage & see how difficult he found it to build his own. We are only at Hervey Bay now instead of NSW so if you want to drive up & have a look its only a couple of hours drive. Give us a call 0416086817 to make sure we are here. ( See the Gatton rally pics in photo albums )
Cheers John & La:)ura

--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

April 24, 2012 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Wayne & Belinda, Dove campers in Perth have the mould used to convert the NT,check with Allan at OKA spares Australia,he should be able to point you the right direction if you want fibreglass,John and Laura look like a good design and already proven reliable.
cheers,Joe
April 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
Thanks for your input and it look like i will go with another 2 more lifts on either end and see how that goes
April 25, 2012 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steven Beale
Wayne & Belinda at June 22, 2010 at 9:22 AM
We are in the process of doing up our oka as a motor home and would like to put a Pop top on it. We live at Donnybrook Qld (near the sunshine coast) and are having problems finding anyone who does this. Could anyone tell us if they know of someone.
Wayne & belinda have just finished putting a pot top on oka 107 if you would like to have a look i live at morayfield QLD give me a ring on 0406153012
cheers steve
April 26, 2012 at 6:06 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.