More
01 Nov 2012 12:08 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Speedo stopped working
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Speedo stopped working

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Alan Bajada:

Any clues to identify the problem?
Speedo stopped working on rough road out of Kings Canyon NT.
Cable att looks ok, any way of testing sensor?
Alan
June 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From David Hallandal:

What model OKA, LT or XT?
June 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Alan Bajada:

XT build number 159 (1994).
Am trying to source new sender unit from OKA Perth
June 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Greg Boyle:

Are the metal tabs still present on the drum that go past the sensor ?
Greg
June 27, 2010 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Alan Bajada:

Thanks Greg for feedback.
On closer inspection have found the handbrake hub has vibrated loose, and has chipped the sensor, am trying to source new sensor ex OKA Perth.
Alan
June 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Paul Crompton:

I had to change my pick up sensor when I was travelling in the Kimberley and managed to get one from Oka, Perth. I believe there was also an after market one available in Sydney but I wasn't 100% sure if it was compatible. You shouldn't have problems getting one from Oka, but if you do, I could try to locate information on the after market unit.
Paul Crompton
June 27, 2010 at 10:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From David Hallandal:

TURCK # BI8U-M18-AN6X
Available from Micromax
1300 326 626
June 27, 2010 at 10:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Now I have the same problem. Speedo was working, now it's not. Every chance my backyard auto electrics has resulted in a dislodged wire or a blown fuse - but how can I tell? I'd rather not fork out for a new sensor if it's not the problem. I've checked all the fuses I can find. Any suggestions?

If it comes down to the sensor, I don't know if I'm even looking at the right thing; is this the speedo sensor? (thing with three wires coming out of it). LT, looking forward from the rear tailshaft, handbrake drum over on the right...

I can't see anything out of place anywhere.
--
Hal

June 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seamus and Cate
OKA4WD.com at June 27, 2010 at 10:10 PM
From David Hallandal:

TURCK # BI8U-M18-AN6X
Available from Micromax
1300 326 626
Hi David

Is this the same part number for LT - do you know?
Ta
Seamus
June 28, 2010 at 7:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seamus and Cate
Hal Harvey at June 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM
Now I have the same problem. Speedo was working, now it's not. Every chance my backyard auto electrics has resulted in a dislodged wire or a blown fuse - but how can I tell? I'd rather not fork out for a new sensor if it's not the problem. I've checked all the fuses I can find. Any suggestions?

If it comes down to the sensor, I don't know if I'm even looking at the right thing; is this the speedo sensor? (thing with three wires coming out of it). LT, looking forward from the rear tailshaft, handbrake drum over on the right...

I can't see anything out of place anywhere.
That certainly is the sensor - I found that the 3 wires coming out of it were frayed on mine.
June 28, 2010 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
Not the same sender as in the XT, this is a VN Commodore sensor and unscrews. There is a nut under the sensor; once the sensor is removed, if you remove that you will find a threaded rod that runs on the shaft.
Pick up a sensor to replace this from a wrecker, a much cheaper replacement option than the XT.
June 28, 2010 at 7:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Typical problem for rough tracks and the age of the component, especially if one does a lot of beach work, as I do. They are out of a Holden, same age one as OKA, any Holden dealer will tell you that, they usually order in overnight, or go to the wreckers. The last one I bought a few years ago was about $220, but maybe Repco etc would sell cheaper.
I now remove the top very carefully and you will see the three wires, I usually find one broken, now what I do is remove the silastic and then rejoin the wires very carefully with solder, then do the procedure in reverse but I do not replace the hard plastic cover but make a dome of silastic instead that holds the wires better as they fray due to the heat and the bouncing as the plastic becomes brittle the sand and salt plays with the copper.
I now do not buy them, and have two spares once I spent some time trying to fix them, one has been working for some two years.
Worth a try if one has the time and one can also put silastic over all the wires once in place for added protection to help the wires out, but use good silastic like the diff cover seal etc.
Regards
Tony ABE
--
June 28, 2010 at 7:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Perhaps people should consider this,
www.gpsspeed.com.au/senders.html

Never have to buy a sender again,
Not sure of the legalities as it wont work in a tunnel, but tacho should give you idea on speed for that.
July 27, 2010 at 10:27 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.