Steering Boxes and greasy mitts

More
01 Nov 2012 12:10 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Steering Boxes and greasy mitts
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Steering Boxes and greasy mitts

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Corey Thomson:

The old girl has just been moved after months of retirement after her two year trip around Oz. Started her yesterday '''''''' oh now thats a feeling''''''''''' the feet are getting real ichy!! Anyway a steering hydraulic hose burst and then I tried to reverse to a resting area to start work on the respray, without knowing anything was wrong and then kar snap something gave way. So now the wheel is spinning freely.
I can see it spinning above the TRW box, so it is inside. I can't remember if there was a shear pin inside. Has anybody been in there recently? I remember doing the seals up the cape at Weipa a few years ago and it was a nightmare job in the heat, not looking forward to it again!!! I dont have an exploded view of the box; if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.... Corey
June 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From David Hallandal:

Contact Australian importers of TRW boxes and seal kits,
workshop facilities for rebuilds:
Complete Steering Australia Pty Ltd
U 1/ 55 Cherry La Laverton North 3026 Phone (03) 9369 2659
They should be able to help
David
June 16, 2010 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Joe Baz:

Hi Corey,
I had a look at my box today. The splines to the box input shaft are quite fine and if your uni coupling worked loose for a while it may have worn the casting out, causing it to spin freely. There is not a shear pin between the two but an 8mm bolt clamping the coupling to the shaft.
cheers
Joe Baz
June 16, 2010 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Paul Crompton:

Hi Corey,
I have got an exploded view of the steering gear unit if that is what you are chasing and also a manual for servicing the gear unit. I can send a copy from the Service Manual to you if that helps. Please advise.
Paul Crompton - 07 3289 9180 or email paulcrompton @optusnet.com.au
June 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Corey Thomson:

Thanks again David, you're always such a great help. Hi Joe, I know what you mean but I cant see that spinning, it s internal. I'm pulling it out this week. Really looking forward to it (not).
Thanks Paul that would be great, xylosinuous @yahoo.com or P.O. Box 304 Billinudgel NSW 2483
Cheers Corey
June 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Joe Baz:

Hi Corey,
Did you had a chance to check the steering box? What did you find?
Cheers
Joe Baz
June 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.