Piece of shim found in rear diff?

More
01 Nov 2012 12:20 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Piece of shim found in rear diff?
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Piece of shim found in rear diff?

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
From David Ribbans:

I found a piece of steel shim inside the rear differential housing while doing a routine oil change.

We've had no problems with the diff and it seems in good condition with no obvious bad wear patterns. There are no other shim remnants floating about.

The diff is not an LSD, so presumably it's been changed back at some stage in the vehicle's 600,000 kms life. It's definitely had diff work done in the past and maybe this piece of shim *might* have been left over from a previous problem?

Evidence of damage from a previous era

Am I being naive, where could it have come from and should I worry too much about it?
ps, if the diffs had a drain plug I would never have known about it and been blissfully ignorant.
Regards,
--
Hal

June 13, 2010 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Peter_n_Margaret:

Any banana peel David?
Cheers,
Peter
June 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From David Ribbans:

Peter, I'll keep a supply handy to stuff inside it to keep any noise down. Nylon stockings apparently work well too...
June 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Joe Baz:

Hi David,
Have you checked if there is any side movement of the crown wheel? Can't really see the size of it. The diff will have shims to either side of the crown wheel carrier, and sometimes if a housing spreader is not used the shims can get damaged. If the shim is really thin it won't slide all the way with the carrier and stays squashed across the way of the axle, then when the axle is fitted it will tear the shim. You are lucky that no other damage was done. If it is a small shim it can come from the diff pinion. Loosen up the carrier bearing caps and check if there is any side play.
Let me know if you need settings specs.
Good luck
Joe
June 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From David Ribbans:

Joe, many thanks for your suggestions.
I have checked as best I can and there is no discernible movement on either the crown wheel or pinion.
I jacked up a wheel and turned the diff and the wear patterns look fine and everything looks and feels rock solid (apart from some play in the splined shafts (35 splines) to the wheels). It looks exactly the same as the pics I took of it in 2005, which was 50,000 kms ago...

The same diff in 2005 but 50,000km younger. It doesn't look much different.

There is some evidence of damage to the diff cover but that was from a previous event and not caused by my current diff. The diff hasn't been out in the 75,000 kms we've done in the Oka.
I'm likely to do more damage by delving any deeper at this stage so I'll just keep a watching (and listening) brief for now.
Still, it's always a worry when you find foreign objects where they shouldn't be...
June 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Joe Baz:

David, if everything checks ok it may have been left from the previous diff repairs, especially if a full rebuild wasn't done and the cleaning was less than spotless.
If you want extra peace of mind, in a few hundred k's give the cover a good clean up and remove it, re-inspect the diff and the diff oil, keep it all very clean so you can inspect and re-use the oil.
Happy travelling
Cheers
Joe
June 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.