Heater tap

More
31 Oct 2012 21:34 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Heater tap
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Heater tap

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Discovered a slow leak coming from the heater tap on LT 374.
Two questions: I can see the b@#$%% tap nestled up inside the fan shround but how on earth do you actually get to it without removing the body from the chassis? Does the fan shroud come out ?
I can opnly see it by peering in past the cooling fan above the engine and there is no way you can reach it from on top.
Is there a generic replacement or is it an Oka only item?
Thanks
Peter

--
Oka 374 LT Van

June 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Peter,

I don't know anything about them but there is some wisdom here.
--
Hal

June 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Russell Phelan
Peter,
To get to the tap you will need to remove the shroud but before you can do that you need to remove the steering rod? (steering box to left hub) but before you do that remove the bash gaurd. They start with the shroud and build an OKA around it ;-)
Shroud is held on by 4 10mm (AF) bolts. you will need long extention on your socket, a torch or head lamp. Push the socket +ext along side the shroud pushing the foil insulation out of the way as you go. Shroud will then need to be juggled out from the fan and to the ground. You will be able to sit up in there and look at the heater tap and then wonder where to get a new one because I can't help you there. When you find out let us know 'cause i need one too.
Hope this helps,

Russ
June 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Hi Peter,
This might sound extreme but I got into mine by removing the radiator. I was told by someone to cut a hole in the side of the foot bay and then cut the shroud and made a removeable section, thought that was all to hard.
I think from memory I just removed the tap (replaced the old hose) on the bus as it only turned it on and off and put a tap in under the lift inspection hatch for the motor. Now all I do is lift it and turn the tap on, used a good 1/4 turn tap used in plumbing industry cost $12.00 plus fittings. Simple and works very well, never had any trouble in 5 years. I put the tap 6 or so inches from the place it comes out of engine which is on top of the block. Easy to do that and to remove the radiator is very simple and quick on the LT as one undoes the A/C condensor a few bolts, swing that out of the way. Do not have to disconnect and then undo two hoses and a few bolts and the radiator is easy to remove. One thing to be careful of is to put the hose clamps back exactly as they come off or they will leak. However if you go to all that trouble and it really is only a 2 hour job to do the whole thing, replace the hoses as then that is done costs little and it is very easy to do at this stage and not in the bush.
Could take photo's if you need them.
hope this helps
Regards
ABE Tony

--
June 29, 2011 at 6:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Thanks all for the info, is as I suspected, the heater tap was the first thing down the assembly line hanging on a piece of wire and the Oka was built around it. Stupid place to put it.
I'm reliably informed that the tap is a Ford Falcon one available from any car parts place. I've also been informed that it can be replaced in a more accessible place with about a metre less hose required so will follow that up.
For the moment I will just bypass it.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

June 29, 2011 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
Tim cut access holes in #072 when he needed to get the radiator in and out in a hurry. You can read how he did it here.
--
OKA #072

June 29, 2011 at 7:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
James
The XT is rather difficult to get the radiator out of but the later LT is actually very simple, unless the blind nuts seize onto the bolts. You could do as shown to get at the Heater tap that way too, but the hole would have to be fairly large to work in. Easier to shift. It is a shame it was put in such an ackward place to start of with. Another one of our OKA marvels that what makes them interesting to own.
ABE Tony
--
June 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Davis & Serena Fraser
Peter
Our heater tap was leaking too. We have a LT. I believe the original was from a 1973 Nissan Bluebird if my memory is right. I think the replacement was a Ford one which I pulled apart on the bracket as it faced the wrong way. I removed the radiator to gain access. I also changed the clamps and hoses while I was there. The original hoses ran for miles, so I re-routed them to reduce the length of heater hose.
Peter
--
June 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dean & Kaye Howells
Replaced ours last year in LT 413.
I'd been led to believe this was going to be a major exercise but it turned out to be fairly simple.
Remove grille and radiator, remove existing heater tap and take to local auto shop ie Repco/Bursons etc. and buy generic heater tap which is basically what the original is anyway. Install and bobs your uncle! I replaced the hoses and hose clamps as well when I had it in bits just to make sure it would stay fixed. All up cost me less than $50.

Deano
--
July 1, 2011 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
Hadnt thought to replace the heater tap, but am going to now as the radiator is empty it wont take long .Also the throtle cable is in a stupid place as well , i put a fairly large hole in the side wall drivers side to be able to remove the cable if it broke, seal it up screwed it on alls well.
July 3, 2011 at 3:10 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.