Towing capacity

More
01 Nov 2012 15:18 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Towing capacity
Forum Home > On the Road > Towing capacity

Patrolling Paddy
Hi all
I am yet to be an owner but am trying to get some homework done to make sure an OKA is the right option for my needs.
On the specs for the new NT it states a towing capacity of 4.5t, is this across the board as I have spotted here that the towing capacity might be as low as 1.5t on the previous models.
I am looking at the OKA due to its size being something that isn't too large for town, 4wd ability out of town and towing ability, now if it ain't up to the towing I might be barking up the wrong tree. I am keen on the dual/multi cab versions in preference to the coach/bus versions and I need more seat than the single cab offers.
There does seem to be a common theme that they are slow going on the blacktop especially up hill so I would expect towing would exaggerate this further. Are there engine/driveline options that are better suited to towing as std or have conversions been done privately to achieve this?
Thanks for your time and any input and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers

Clint
June 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete Fox
Clint
The older Okas can tow up to 3.5 tonne, but the maximum weight of Oka plus trailer is 7 tonne (GCM). The weight of the Oka must be subtracted from the 7 tonne to work out how much can be towed. I don't think it would be that big a deal to get a modified compliance plate to upgrade the GCM
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

June 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Patrolling Paddy
Ok so up to 3.5t towing if I reduce the GVM to 3.5t is this what you mean or I just don't load the OKA at all and make sure the overall GCM stays at or under 7t? Aren't these around the 4t tare? I was of the belief that the actual weight is irrelevant and it is the rated GVM GCM that must be used, so if the GVM is 5t and GCM 7t then a max of 2t trailer regardless of what the actual weight of the vehicle is.
Modifying the GCM is a tricky one at the moment, I have heard of this being done with other vehicles but when I called the DPI to find out I was told a flat out NO it cannot be done, this is set by manufacturer and cannot be changed, so I really don't know what is going on with all this.
Don't know if WA is different for some reason but I am getting conflicting answers and I haven't been able to get anything in black and white.
I need a vehicle that can tow legally and so far the only real vehicle out of the box is the F250s but I don't like them and would prefer something else. It looks like the OKA might not be up to the towing.
Has anyone gone through the process of legally towing 4.5t? I have almost talked myself into an OKA but if it won't tow then I need to spend my money elsewhere.
Cheers
Confused now
June 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete Fox
My Oka tares at 4.1 tonne. My GCM has been upgraded to 8.4 tonne (see post here>> www.oka4wd.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7787386-gvm-and-gcm- )
So in theory I can add 0.8 tonne to the Oka and tow 3.5 tonne and still be legal. My rego papers (WA) say that no towing above 4.5 tonne is permitted. Towing with an Oka is limited by the weight given on the Oka towbar. Perhaps if I got an uprated towbar I could tow 4.3 tonne. But this would require air brakes etc.
I think you would be pushing it to tow anything more than about 3 tonne without turning an Oka into a prime mover.

--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

June 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.