Haflinger

More
01 Nov 2012 15:26 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Haflinger
Forum Home > On the Road > Haflinger

There are large number of photos in this post so I've turned it into a pdf file.

Click below to open the file.

File Attachment:

File Name: Haflinger.pdf
File Size:1,121 KB

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Most OKA owners and fans probably know what a Haflinger is. I know some have owned one (or more) over time. We have one locally here in Scarborough WA - sorry not the royal we, just somebody local owns one, and it's a daily driver. I'll get a photo one day. Friends sometimes see it and I've had said to me more than once, "Look, a baby OKA!" as it is driven past.

I notice in a Shannons auction in Melbourne this week the following:
A rare 1969 Steyr-Puch Haflinger 700-A.P. four-wheel drive proved popular also on the night eventually selling for $15,000 after fierce floor and phone bidding.

Are there any current owners?
--
Hal

June 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

outyonda.com
Gordon & Lock went to Geraldton & got 2.5 Hafilingers. They look like little OKAs. 1.5 are in the shed here & the other, just down the road. One has alloy body, flash. The other, pressed tin, when I get home I will post a photo. Brett
--
June 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Russell Phelan
Here's a pic of my OKA and Haflinger. Haffy is an ex Australian army vehicle of which they had 50 of in 1966. This pic was taken at Lake George NSW on my way to the annual ex military vehicle gathering at Corowa NSW.

June 9, 2012 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
This the one sold at the Shannons auction:

Shannons' text read:
The Steyr-Puch Haflinger series commenced in 1959 and continued production until 1974. They were largely designed as army transporters with the ability to travel across various surfaces and were popular in the Swiss and Austrian armies, though some made their way abroad to Australia and Indonesia among other countries. Various versions were produced, bodied for the job at hand- some open-topped, some in utility, van or armoured form. The range was quite impressive, some police forces using their capabilities, while there was even a street-cleaning version available on the same platform and an amphibious version. Australia initially received fully built-up army vehicles from Indonesia before a CKD build facility was opened locally in 1967. The Haflingers subsequently proved loyal servants for the Australian Army over many more years.
--
Hal

June 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
And this is the local one parked at Scarborough Beach today - sorry only phone pics. I'll replace them with some decent ones one day.

--
Hal

June 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.