Quoka

More
02 Nov 2012 21:59 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Quoka
Forum Home > On the Road > Quoka

Andy (and Deb)
I don't know how I put the photo 'QUOKA' onto Random Recent Photos...... not what I was trying to do.
Anyhow, now we can drive her out in public! - another story.

--
Cheers

Andy and Debbie 'Oka 055'

March 4, 2011 at 6:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
You put it in your public album, so a thumbnail will just appear occasionally over there in random recents... I have no idea how long for. When somebody clicks on it, they get taken to that pic in your album.

--
Hal

March 4, 2011 at 6:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andy (and Deb)
Thanks Hal,
The Number plates that they issued us in the first place were state plates....
and they read... '1DIC 415'
That will give a few a laugh - I hid the Oka at the back of my shed till the personal plates arrived. Haha
--
Cheers

March 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Thats the reason I went country town plates, although I dont live in Leonara plates or have anything to do with the town, much better that having the other plates on. So L - 2655 is what I ended up with, Should got plates in Laverton, then could have had LA - ****
--

March 4, 2011 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

travis
Spotted you last week on roe hwy
--
Oka Performance Turbos, Intercoolers and exhaust Upgrades 0421678926

March 26, 2011 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andy (and Deb)
G'day Travis,
Yep that was us, probably getting the wheel alinement details 'cos "Quoka" needs a shim on the drivers side to straighten up a 2 deg negative lean. That was Tuesday, and also picked up the new alloys and tyres for the oka to do more beach work. She looks good now with the 325/85/16's - spare only just fits under the back, touching the springhanger bolts and the rear tow hitch, and about 5 mm from the diff!
Thursday took the quoka and our boat down to Bunbury to have more work done to our boat ready for 'up-north' in about a month or so. We just got back last nite.
I'll give you a call Travis, about an intercooler, The oka got a bit warm pulling the boat in 36/37 deg day.

--
Cheers

March 27, 2011 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

travis
no worries look forward to it.
Fitting an egt gauge at the same time might be a good idea if you do a bit of towing.
--
Oka Performance Turbos, Intercoolers and exhaust Upgrades 0421678926

March 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hi Andy just wondering if you could tell us how much each tyre and alloy rim cost. Thanks Darren Lilly.
March 27, 2011 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andy (and Deb)
Hi Darren,

The tyres I got were 2nd hand with 70-90% tread, and cost $400 each + Gst. The rims were $338 each + Gst. Then the new chrome nuts (32) were about $7.50 each.

With the bigger tyres, I also had to get 4 wider fiberglass wheel arches, at $75 each + Gst.

I'll take some photos and post soon,
cheers
--
Cheers

March 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
G'day Andy & Debbie thank for that my new 19.5 Toyo's cost $660 ea. I read on the OKA owners group site a few years back that the wheel nuts alone were $30 ea X 32 near $1000 but with your shared information I think I may consider what you have done, most of my offroading is soft sand. Regards Darren Lilly
March 28, 2011 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Andy (and Deb)
I've just added more photos Darren. Hope I don't find any of your quick sand!!
--
Cheers

March 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Hi Andy,
are you interested in selling your standard wheels?

--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

March 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andy (and Deb)
Hi Cando, sorry about the delay.

We have kept the split rims for now as Deb wants to look at 'gold prospecting' some time in the future.
You are in Darwin? We may well be up there this year, to do a bit of fishing with our oldest son (and family). It all depends on how we go with the Oka over the next couple of weeks. We will definately be 'up-north' near Karratha on the beach for a few months over the winter time.

I think that you were only looking for one split rim? Depending on the amount of space I've got when loading up, I may be able to bring one up to Darwin if we come up, should know by end of April. Down sizing from a ex-greyhound coach motorhome + 25ft trailer to the Oka and a boat, we have to leave a lot of stuff behind....see how we go.
--
Cheers

March 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Andy,
thanks for the tyre size , are they Michelin??? I see you bought them 2nd hand, do you know the availability of them new?? and what is the load rating in kg of these tyres. Have you run them on sand yet & what tyre pressure did you go down to if you did, did you get down to 20psi???? Do you know what the walls are, are they steel belted in the walls or not?.Where did you buy them from.
Regards,

John Oka 147
--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

April 11, 2011 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
We've just fitted 16x8 Eagle alloys and tyres, wheel nuts were less than a dollar each in the US, cost just on $2 each including postage delivered to the door and took less than a week.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 12, 2011 at 6:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Andy (and Deb)
John and Laura - sri abt the delay,
Yep, they are Michelin tyres, and I did get them 2nd hand - about 80% tread. I believe that they are available new, but the prices are huge. In excess of $1300 aud. if you can find them.

The load rating is 2300kg, 4 steel plys to tread, and 1 steel ply to walls. (stamped on each tyre). have not been on the sand yet, but had 20psi in when put onto the Oka, and they "stood up" very well. Apparently at 20 psi travelling speed up to 80kph is ok, and at only 7psi max speed of 20kph. They are military spec tyres.

I actually got my alloys and tyres from Paul Nott in Melbourne. So far very happy with them, but waiting to get the Oka back from the mechanic (need new radiater, shim to straighten up drivers side front wheel, Transfer case leaks, wiring etc. etc)

As soon as we get the Oka back, it will be hook up the boat, and head north for the winter. I'll be able to give a better report on how the tyres go in soft beach sand, as we mainly beach launch the boat. Hopefully less than a week now!! It's getting cooler
--
Cheers

April 17, 2011 at 9:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Posts: 199 Hi Andy: thanks for the offer to try and bring up a wheeling you have room. I'm getting 6 x wheels ant tyres from chris in Newman. Thanks and let us kn
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

April 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Posts: 199 Hi Andy: thanks for the offer to try and bring up a wheel if you have room. I'm getting 6 x wheels ant tyres from chris in Newman. Thanks and let us knOw if u make it this way
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

April 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andy (and Deb)
Andy (and Deb) at April 17, 2011 at 9:15 AM
John and Laura - sri abt the delay,
Yep, they are Michelin tyres, and I did get them 2nd hand - about 80% tread. I believe that they are available new, but the prices are huge. In excess of $1300 aud. if you can find them.

The load rating is 2300kg, 4 steel plys to tread, and 1 steel ply to walls. (stamped on each tyre). have not been on the sand yet, but had 20psi in when put onto the Oka, and they "stood up" very well. Apparently at 20 psi travelling speed up to 80kph is ok, and at only 7psi max speed of 20kph. They are military spec tyres.

I actually got my alloys and tyres from Paul Nott in Melbourne. So far very happy with them, but waiting to get the Oka back from the mechanic (need new radiater, shim to straighten up drivers side front wheel, Transfer case leaks, wiring etc. etc)

As soon as we get the Oka back, it will be hook up the boat, and head north for the winter. I'll be able to give a better report on how the tyres go in soft beach sand, as we mainly beach launch the boat. Hopefully less than a week now!! It's getting cooler
PLEASE NOTE: Paul Nott at East Coast Oka does NOT generally sell tyres and rims.

I was asked where a got my tyres and rims, and posted a reply saying that I got them from Paul. He called me today to see if I could remove the post, as he has received quite a lot of phone calls enquiring about alloy rims and tyres. Apparently someone said that Oka '55' said to call him. - I did not!

To clarify..... The alloy rims and tyres that I got off Paul were a 'one-off', and please don't call Paul about tyres and rims. Many thanks,
--
Cheers

April 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
I talked to Bob Gray at BG Wheels in Melbourne about tyres and wheels for our Oka and he had sold some before eagle brand and was going out of them and not going to supply or sell Eagle brand , but gave me a person in Qld that is selling the eagle brand to suit the company is SUPERFORMANCE ON 0734887888 Tod was the guy to speak to i have not yet talked to him hope to soon
April 29, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Bob has/had a set of 16x10 alloys for sale on his website currently.
He put us onto the NSW distributor Awsum wheels in Sydney and bought our set of eagle 16x8 059's from them. Wheel nuts form the US to suit were just under $2 each landed at our door.
Tyres and rims are fitted up and on the Oka but I've not driven it yet as the poptop has just gone on and the slideout is yet to be fitted, never mind the myriad other things to do before it hits the road again.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 29, 2011 at 8:00 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.