Now what colour to paint

More
02 Nov 2012 22:10 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Now what colour to paint
Forum Home > On the Road > Now what colour to paint
1 2 Next »

Peter 334
As our OKA gets very close to the final paint job, Kay and i are having trouble trying to find a color that would suit it , as white is a common color we decided not to go there and try and find a color to suit .There is so many choices , we have again come to a stand still looking at paint charts, so if any one has a thought on it let us know ?
March 31, 2011 at 7:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Peter, we are at the same x roads
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

March 31, 2011 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

oka 098
BLACK
March 31, 2011 at 8:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Russell Phelan
I've always thought that the Toymotor (toyota) beige would look good on an Oka. They started using it on the 60 series then the 80 series and also the 75. I don't think they carried it on to the 100 series though. Not sure of paint code.
Russ
March 31, 2011 at 8:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

deedy
Army green is the only color
March 31, 2011 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
Having lived 12 years in India I'm kind of partial to the orange/silver colour scheme. However for the moment iLean is beige.

--
OKA #072

March 31, 2011 at 9:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Garry & Chris
I painted 1 of my Indians Harlquin Blue to Red I like it "purists" hate it . Oka would look good mmm how many litres for an Oka @ $1100.oo a litre?
March 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

oka 098
gee that would be about $500 for each branch that scrapes down the side in the bush ,red blue yellow stripes (mighty crows)
March 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
I'm with Deedy, Camo is the go, very practical in the bush, the flat paint hides all sorts of grief, doesn't usually show the scratches and is easily touched up if damaged.
Not sure how the new alloys will go with it though, couldn't get them in black ;-))
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 1, 2011 at 7:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
well well well ! i did think of black but the wife is not in to it , i have driven toyos in beige for many years not to keen my self, the orange color was on the cards it was going to be orange on top with gun metal grey on the bottom .... gone too.. so we thought blue or green might be good but have you seen how many there is , and as far as the camo goes that s on the cards as a choice, ive been told by a painter it will take approx 8 ltrs to paint in and out ..... thanks for all your help ????
April 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Peter, not that I think you're going to go with the >> Harlequin @ $1100/litre << , but when #260 was repainted in 2006 I found just the colour I wanted - on a fishing reel - and the painter did his absolute best to match it, with loads of tint and a heap of pearl, but it came out looking nothing like it. The reason, and I get the tiniest glimpse of this occasionally, is that these colour-changing paints are at their best on curved surfaces, and the Oka doesn't have many. Any. While I do like the pearl colour I have, it would look entirely different on another vehicle.

As far as bush scratches go, your painter can tell you about the tough expensive clear coats that can go on top - I've forgotten what it's called - I know it works. I've copped bush scrapes down tracks that your average Prado owner shies away from, and they just buff out easily. The paint's as good as new. Most new vehicles don't get that because it costs, but it's good stuff.

Compromise between black & orange?..

--
Hal

April 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
Now the picture you have sent of the hot rod looks very cool and i do wonder if the OKA would look the same as it dose ......aha... flames on an OKA ? well thats not something you would see every day it a wierd thought !
April 2, 2011 at 6:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
there is a beautifull yellow from Subaru......WRX
April 2, 2011 at 8:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Russell Phelan
never mind the paint job. What about that engine? ;-)
April 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Yep I reckon flames are the go... those drab green ones just aren't as cool...

--
Hal

April 3, 2011 at 2:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
I do see a problem here, in the oka the blower sticking out of the bonnet might get in the way of conversation...!
On the note of colour, i'm just about to paint mine with the olive drab paint the army uses. Took me ages to find it but the code is 342-1166 Camouflage Green (Protec paints). It's very cheap, hard wearing (apparently) and flat so you can't see imperfections... Added bonus - if you're driving at night in a war zone the paint can't be seen by infrared night vision goggles! Thought it would come in handy around the farm... lol
April 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Yes that is what mine is painted with, plus the tan/brown 342-5265 and black 342-7165. It is also available in spray cans for quick touchups. As Alister said it is pretty cheap, approx $12 -13 for a litre tin and $45 - 50 for 4 litres.
They ship/post very promptly, usually get it next day here in the Hunter Valley.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 3, 2011 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Russell Phelan
Alister and or Peter, what supplier do you use for this paint?

Russ
April 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

As Alister said ;-))) Protec paints 02 96035655 in NSW, 08 8447 6311 in SA, anywhere else you'll have to look them up.
If you ring SA they will send you to the nearest office.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 3, 2011 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Love the flames Hal, that could be a winner, maybe some stainless steel pipes shoved out of bottom to make it look authentic.!! Just dont start the engine, it would be a dead giveaway. Ha ha .
White is common, ours is done in 2 pack paint that itself isnt cheap. Have seen light green not very standout, Black would get very hot I would imagine & shows the dirt on dusty roads,the red looks great on Rod Lyons bus. Camo sounds good easy to touch up, dont worry about the dirt, hide from the unwanted.
Good luck with your colour choice

--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

April 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
Don't worry about the engine sound - just install one of these

--
OKA #072

April 4, 2011 at 5:48 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.