Wheel Balance

More
01 Nov 2012 06:05 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Wheel Balance
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Wheel Balance

Outback Jack
Hi All,
244 has got the wobbles around 80Kms, more on bitumen than dirt which is odd. I have replaced the steering damper, so one of the wheels must be out of balance.
Any clues on getting the original 16 inch Wheel and the 255/100 tyres balanced? Apparently it can be difficult to find a place that is capable of it.
Cheers
--

March 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mark hall
hi i see that you have 16 inch 255/100 tyres canyou tell me who makes them ie goodyear, bridgestone do you know if they are the old 900 replacements
March 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Robin Wade in Coolgardie might be the person to ask for who to do your wheel balancing. It's been years since I had my originals done, but they were done on the vehicle at a truck place in Kewdale Road, on the east side of Perth. But I can't remember the name. They did a good job.
--
Hal

March 7, 2011 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Pauline Gray
Any truck tyre dealership should be able to balance them

Dave
March 7, 2011 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

oka 098
michelin make 255,100 r16 ( america i guess) yes made to replace old 900 but a bit wider (about $580 each ?)
March 7, 2011 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul & Sue Crompton
Hi there - some of the truck places will do an on vehicle balance. I had this done when I first purchased the Oka and it seemed to be quite good but they sure used a lot of weights. When I bought new tyres, the mechanic's normal wheel balance (off vehicle) was not large enough so he used an older one which he just spun up by hand and balanced. They seem to be balanced ok with very few weights. I would assume that the on vehicle balance would be more accurate.
As far as the makes of tyres, the 255 x 16s are the same as the 900s and Michelin make them. Also I have heard that Hankook make them as well. I ended up buying the off road pattern which is the XZL. Somebody also told me that they are still making the XYs (road pattern) but I could not find them and they appeared to be dearer. Hankook make this size as well. I have also heard of a 900 and 1100x16 at some of the Farmfest but I have the feeling that this tyre had for off road use only and not suitable for highway, even though their pattern was not that aggressive. Just be aware that the XZLs are a lot noisier than the road patterns (it makes the Oka quieter because you can't hear the motor now, just the tyres :)).
You may have to order the tyres in advance. My understanding is that Michelin usually bring them into the country every 3 months to fill orders with a few extras so you maybe lucky as they are still used on military vehicles but you only get what is left over.
Cheers for now.
--
Paul & Sue Crompton

March 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

oka 098
what steering damper did you end up getting? how is the rubber on the tyres?
March 7, 2011 at 6:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

deedy
try balancing sand. or fluid
March 7, 2011 at 8:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
My newer tyres are done with balancing sand - "powder balanced" - and it does work, quite perfectly I'd say. That's about all I know about it. A little bit of web research turns up enough information to confuse...

www.imiproducts.com/equal.html

www.innovativebalancing.com/

www.magnumbalance.com/

www.centramatic.com/Home.aspx

I haven't gone looking for fluid solutions, but there was some mention of anti-freeze along the way. And golf balls, lots about golf balls.
--
Hal

March 7, 2011 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Pauline Gray
As a long time user of powder balance both in trucks I have owned and the OKA I beleive that all these types of balance products [powder fluid and beads ] can only be used in tubeless tyres and not in splits tube type tyres I have found the powder system to be a great innovation.
cheers Dave
March 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.