Sunshade for windscreen

More
01 Nov 2012 18:56 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Sunshade for windscreen
Forum Home > On the Road > Sunshade for windscreen

Hank Onthewater
Got my van now for nine months but could never find a sunshade that fitted. I considered getting a larger one and cut it down to size or just to use two smaller ones.

Then I came across this one, a more upmarket shade with fabric corners, thicker than most, and most importantly it fits perfectly!

While most sunshades retail under $10, this was around $20, still a bargain IMO.

I bought it from Auto-One, who sourced this from a Queensland wholesaler, and of course, like anything else: made in China.

Hank

--
May fair winds be behind you, sun above, clear waters below, and a safe port ahead. And when in OKA van: replace "clear waters" with "firm ground".

March 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Hank,
Glad you found something that works. After hunting around like you, we also had trouble finding a large enough windscreen sun shield, so made our own bespoke window screens a few years ago for all our bus/camper windows using Air-cell aluminium bubble pack insulation from Bunnings, which is quite stiff.

We cut them to size and sealed/strengthened the edges with aluminium tape. The windscreen shield (we call them force shields) is still large so I strengthened it with a few vertical aluminium strips taped on and it then folds into quarters and is stashed behind a seat. You might find yours weakens after a while too.

They've lasted several years and are very effective for keeping heat and light in or out, and of course prevent prying eyes. The side screens are fitted with suckers from the Reject Shop and also fold in half so we can open a window.

With an external reversing camera we can leave the rear window shade up (in fact all the rear shades) while travelling to keep out daytime heat.

There are a few other photos here.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

March 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rod Lyons
G,day all, we got a Holland blind made to fit. you dont neet to store it anywhere & you can use it as a sun shade while your driving.

Rod
--

March 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick Whitworth
Rod,
very interested in your Holland blind, assume it pulls downward
any chance of some pics?
who made it?
cheers
Rick
March 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
We bought some Holland Blind kits from Spotlight.
Cheap but not brilliant, but you can add your own material and cut to size.
We used surplus white-backed curtain material. Useful to provide some shade but not as good as reflective insulation.
We've got one across the cab-to-rear crawling space. It reduces loss of cooling air from the cab while driving.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

March 10, 2012 at 8:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rod Lyons
Rick Whitworth at March 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Rod,
very interested in your Holland blind, assume it pulls downward
any chance of some pics?
who made it?
cheers
Rick
G,day Rick, i will try to remember to take a photo when i get home tonight.

Rod
--

March 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
I have been thinking on replacing the standard sunvisors with a pull down unit like on a bus, anyone gone down this way?
--
David Hallandal
OKA-131 Home Page
OKA Camper Trailer
XT and LT Service Manuals on CD For Sale
20mm Spring Hanger Upgrade Kits For Sale

March 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Just a thought on this subject.
You can go to Header wreckers, Headers as in farm ones, and get the pull down blinds that are used on the front windscreens for harvesting at dusk or sunrise. They work well, as they work on a cross over system without anything on the sides. Then one could put them on the front and if they overlapped it really would not matter. Usually made out of a black material that has little holes in it. Very good for the purpose that they were designed for. You could change the material to anything you need for your own purpose.
Regards ABE Tony

--
March 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
Saw these while searching around the UES website
www.uesint.com/upload/pdf/Roller%20Visor.pdf
www.uesint.com/upload/pdf/Roller%20Sun%20Blinds.pdf
As well as something that could be pretty handy for getting to things in a camper or high on a ute:
www.uesint.com/upload/pdf/Pullout%20Ladder.pdf
March 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.