More
01 Nov 2012 18:57 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Re-cap tyres
Forum Home > On the Road > Re-cap tyres

Greg #210 and Dean #366
What the general feeling on the use of re-caps on Oka's
March 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Greg, I had 4 old tyre casings retreaded by Bandag last year (they are owned by Bridgestone), when new tyres were very difficult to source and extremely expensive after the tsunami. Apart from the fact that I staked one badly, they worked OK but...
One of the downsides of retreads is that they are never as wide as the original tread and leave the sidewall more exposed to staking, which we amply demonstrated.
Apart from the cost benefit (around half the cost), I wouldn't really recommend retreads.
They are pretty safe these days but I found them difficult to balance, which is not a problem on outback tracks.
The width reduction also makes them follow wheel ruts far too well, even on bitumen. That was a bit unnerving.
I did find 2 new Kumho's last year which performed very well, similar tread pattern to the Michelin XDE2 but 2/3 the cost. I would certainly use them again. My only complaint is that the blocks of tread are further apart and they collect small round stones too easily.
If you can find, and justify the cost of new tyres, that's the way to go but bear in mind that many large trucking companies use retreads (according to Bandag) and retreading is big (local) business so they must benefit some groups.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

March 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.