XT vs LT? Which is better (pros & cons)

More
01 Nov 2012 18:58 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: XT vs LT? Which is better (pros & cons)
Forum Home > On the Road > XT vs LT? Which is better (pros & cons)

Mannixx
we are currently looking at purchasing an oka & need some information.
can the oka owners out there share which they think is better out of the xt & lt's. (pros & cons) & why?
i have researched the phyical differances, but want to know what you all think?

March 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

T & D Morris
Hi
We have had an XT since 1996 it was a multicab but has been changed to a pop top camper.
The LT can have two shock absorbers but require extra brackets to be welded on the XT.
I know the engineer that came up with the idea of two shocks and he had to paint one black so the boss could not see it then and took him for a test drive to prove it was better.
The LT has a better steering box.
They have different transfer cases, people have different views on which is better.
The LT body is 300mm longer ( we had to get extra rear supports welded to the chassis to fit the LT body ).
I would talk to Robin Wade or any of the other people that service OKA's and see what they think.
--
March 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
When I was shopping for an Oka, I tried out quite a few XT's and LT's. I was offered an LT dual cab with camper box on the back, lots of extras including air locking diffs etc, originally bought privately and never used commercially, with about 80,000 k's up. It was pretty much immaculate. For about the same money, I ended up buying an XT single cab and tray in reasonable condition, 290,000 k's up.
This sounds a crazy decision, but I just couldn't live with the rumbling vibration of the chassis-mounted LT transfer box. I found every XT I drove just felt light and willing, while every LT just seemed to struggle ever so slightly and felt 'heavy'.
This is all very subliminal and I am obsessed with noise, so for others the transfer box may not be a big deal. I am sure you would be very happy whichever you bought. For me, the XT is great - I just love it!
March 24, 2012 at 7:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Paul, I got exactly the same impression re the differences between the two, I actually drove one of each within an hour of each other, the LT even had gas injection which didn't compensate for the XT's extra go. The XT's actually do go much better probably due to the 13% loss that the Rockwell apparently introduces into the drivetrain.
After much deliberation I then bought an LT as I intended to swap the drivetrain over which I've now done with excellent results, much quieter and smoother to drive, seems to use less fuel, which seems weird as auto's are traditionally blamed for increased consumption. I can only surmise that the auto keeps the Perky on the boil allowing it to stay at a pretty constant rev range and therefore more efficient as you aren't constantly revving it up and down through the gears.
The only other thing to note between the two models is that the XT has a wider engine bay which could be beneficial for engine swaps.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKAPETE .......... Peter and Sharon Furlong.
Pete is right, the best way to decide for yourself is to do a drive of each and then weigh up your options. I personally prefer the LT because my first Oka was an LT and I grew to love it, due mainly I'll admit to the aesthetics within the cab, and the hydrualic clutch for ease(ier) of use, But now going Auto conversion as Pete has, however I agree that the XT rides better, and the transfer case better also, but this can be remedied in the LT by substututing the Rockwell for an NP205.
I have 6 Okas here at the moment for sale by different owners, ( I am a retired diesel fitter due to MVA and volunteer chaplain and help move Okas all over Oz for both buyer and seller as a hobby. It keeps me Okapied :)) There is a mix of XT and LT here, 3 of each actually. Also Robin Wade in Coolgardie WA always has a good mix of stock at his dealership. You can reach Robin on 0890266094.
I am happy to spend the time with you in helping you with your decision at no obligation, as other owners will attest. When you eventually purchase and require parts Phone Paul at East coast Oka spares in Victoria on 0418125428 . or in the West, Alan at Oka spares Australia on 0400736117.
I can be reached on 0412376556 if I can help. regards Peter.
March 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
Many of the XT have the larger TRW Seering Box and longer bodies. OKA Body modules were designed to be swapped easly so a Cab Chassis can be fitted with a Duel Cab, Multi Cab or Bus Body. OKAs are unlike most Vehicles where Km are important with OKAs are not, as these vehicles we designed to be recycled so condition and maintanence more important,
I know there is some realy nice XT and LT's at OKAPetes was there 2 Weeks ago to catch up and have a look
Watch This Video: www.oka4wd.com/apps/videos/videos/show/7...81-oka-factory-promo

--
David Hallandal
OKA-131 Home Page
OKA Camper Trailer
XT and LT Service Manuals on CD For Sale
20mm Spring Hanger Upgrade Kits For Sale

March 25, 2012 at 8:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
Peter wrote.....
"After much deliberation I then bought an LT as I intended to swap the drivetrain over which I've now done with excellent results, much quieter and smoother to drive, seems to use less fuel, which seems weird as auto's are traditionally blamed for increased consumption. I can only surmise that the auto keeps the Perky on the boil allowing it to stay at a pretty constant rev range and therefore more efficient as you aren't constantly revving it up and down through the gears."
Peter, I am not all that surprised, I think modern autos aren't nearly so wasteful of power as they were a few years ago. That is the one conversion I would really like to do on my XT - an auto box would transform the vehicle. My synchros are pretty weak and while I don't mind a bit of double de-clutching my partner Michaela is not so happy. She never served time on knackered old bombs like I did in my youth, so she never really learned to drive without synchro.
If it is not too personal, did you ever tally up the total cost of your conversion?
Cheers,
Paul
March 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
I did, fabricating brackets and things like flywheel housing mounts yourself plus doing all the work yourself you still won't get much change out of $9k. In that I did buy a brand new 4L80E, Compushift to run it, a new starter motor (prob more a maintenance item), adapter to fit the Patrol transfer case and the low gears to put in it took up most of the expense. The Nissan transfer case and tailshafts from a wrecker, the Adapter kit to connect the 4L80E to the Perkins and the other bits and pieces which while they only individually cost a couple of $100 all add up when you write it down. You could take cheaper alternatives like fitting a Gemini t bar shifter instead of the B&M but add time and work to fit where the B&M is basically a quick fit (only took a day or so ;-))
All worthwhile though as it is much easier and less tiring to drive, Sandra was the same, could drive it but very reluctant to do so.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 25, 2012 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
Thanks Peter, pretty good value for money, really. I can't think of a better improvement to an Oka for the money.
March 25, 2012 at 5:52 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.