Perkins 135Ti

More
31 Oct 2012 19:58 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Perkins 135Ti
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Perkins 135Ti

Pete Fox
The Oka needs a few more ponies. Mine has done 400k, doesn't use any oil, but I am reluctant to start messing about with turbos and intercoolers etc on an engine of this age. I could see myself doing the work and then having to rebuild the engine not long after.
I don't want to muck about with a V8, just too much work and expense given the number of things that would have to be altered, so I am considering a Perk 135ti, but I am having no luck getting O/S suppliers to respond to enquiries.

Anybody know of a local source for these engines?

The main benefit I can see going this way is that it will be a straight fit to existing engine mounts, although most of the ancillaries will be different.
Pete
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

March 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Hi Peter,
I too did some research on these motors from the same place that you went to. They are as you might realise the chinese made version of our motor. No problem as they I was told made under licence to Perkins. The one you are looking at is the same as ours but just inter-cooled as well as the turbo. Everything should just bolt up the same.
Do not worry about the Klm's on the motor as I have been given good assurance from some mechanics from England that they would expect double plus your klm's before surgery is really needed. Had a man on board from the factory a few years ago and said they designed them for some very harsh conditions, but did point out that it was really put out for less revs, but as he said the sixes are nearly the same motor but we just run 2 less cylinders at the same revs.
There is another motor that I have been looking at which is the Perkins 1200 series. It is a 4 cylinder but has allot more torque and ranges from 100 to 173 hp and up to 750Nm torque. Designed to replace the 6 in most cases looks to being a viable replacement, for people like me you have to adhere to rules for licences on the bus, with out a lot of other paper and costly engineering reports to being done.
Found information under www.perkins.com
Hope this is of some use
Regards ABE TONY
--
March 21, 2012 at 8:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete Fox
Tony
I was looking at the chinese engines but i found today that Perkins has distanced itself from the Chinese Perkins that was made under licence. They have withdrawn the licensing agreement and are in court in China. I wish them luck.
Apparently due to use of unauthorized parts among other things. Perkins deny any warranty liability for theses engines. Ouch. Still looking though as they may have new licensees . A straight bolt in job is a very appealing option.
The new Cummins ISF engine also looks interesting, 3.8 litre, 125kw @ 2600, 600nm @ 1300 and 280 kg but uses the adblue system.
Pete
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

March 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Peter I'd be sticking to the basic simple engines like we have in the current Perkins. All these common rail, electronically controlled things are really getting away from the whole Oka premise, simplicity! Yes I know I've just added complexity and shudder some electronics with the auto trans but it will all work ok enough to drive without the electronics at all, as it did the other day when a fuse snapped clean in half! Drove about 200k with no probs.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 22, 2012 at 7:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete Fox
Peter
I wasn't seriously considering it, but it does look interesting, i don't like little black boxes either.
Just getting frustrated with the lack of response to my enquiries with the 135 Perk. No one in Oz is interested, perhaps they only advertise them to fill up some blank space.
And for that matter, apparently no one in Oz wants to sell a 4L80E either. Enquiries to 4 companies so far including Bullet, but zero response. I guess we've all got too much money, or we don't mind our $ going off shore
Pete
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

March 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

travis
Posts: 57 You wil make more power with a waste gated turbo inter cooler big exhaust and decent tune on you existing engine and would also be cheaper than a swap
--
Oka Performance Turbos, Intercoolers and exhaust Upgrades 0421678926

March 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brendan Eblen
I went down a similar road looking at motor options, the motor in my vehicle had done 400,000 plus the whole excersise was worth every $ the vehicle was very different. I put an intercooler on first the difference was marked then a little later a waste gated Garrett turbo it was all the extra power I needed. I tow a tour trailer that weighs 2 tonnes with full passengers the job is right. No more doey accelerator power when you want it. from the existing motor. Auto Sport Engineering in Adelaide did the work very knowledgeable and professional.
Cheers
Brendan
www.aseturbo.com/contact-us/info_2.html
March 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ewart & Vivian Halford
I copied what Brendan did and am very happy.
Ewart
March 25, 2012 at 7:20 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.