Rechargeable AA NiMh Batteries

More
31 Oct 2012 20:06 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Rechargeable AA NiMh Batteries
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Rechargeable AA NiMh Batteries

Dandj
I don't know if it's just me but I'm finding that the life/recharge period of my NiMh rechargeable batteries is getting shorter and shorter.
I use them in the cameras, mice, keyboards, torches and a variety of other portable electronic devices in our Oka and even though the latest types claim to have more capacity, I seem to be always recharging them (in a smart charger, Jaycar MB3551). I don't believe the 1000 recharges claim either, I'd be surprised to reach 100.
The worst ones seem to be Energiser, followed by Duracell, while Varta seem to be the best. I've just started using some Chevron batteries from BigW which are a lot cheaper but I can't judge them yet.
What's your experience?
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

March 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Gave up on them a while ago.
Never bought name brand batteries, or name brand chargers for that matter, but found they were good for a while and then went down-hill rapidly. Crunch came when I bought 100 normal AA Alkaline cells from WalMart for about $8. Far more life than a single recharge, no messing around with chargers and power and I reckon on a whole of life basis, cheaper as well.

For similar reasons I go out of my way to buy electronic items that take standard AA batteries rather than using any fancy specialsize/shape rechargeables.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

March 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Tony, I guess I'm heading the same direction.
BTW the same is happening to my cordless drill battery cells. I keep swapping them for good cells from other battery packs but I've also arranged for them to run from 12v when necessary, either the vehicle supply or a separate SLA battery.
I also agree re fancy shapes, my $4 LED torch now requires a $13 lithium 3v battery.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

March 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
I agree, the NiMh rechargeable were ok for a couple of years and then went downhill rapidly. Fortunately that coincided with the teenagers becoming responsible for their own power ;-)) I tossed all the rechargeables a couple of years back and now just get the alkaline bulk packs from Bunnings or Jaycar. Mostly used for LED torch these days as like Tony I would only buy stuff that used standard AA and AAA batteries but they are getting harder to find in new cameras etc.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 9, 2012 at 7:17 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.