Fuel Caps

More
30 Oct 2012 16:14 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Fuel Caps
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Fuel caps
1 2 Next »

Moose2367
Has anyone replaced their fuel caps at all, which ones sealed well and which ones to stay away from.

One of my tanks has just a plastic fuel cap that pushes on, no metal locking tabs and it leaks a bit, the other one is just the internal components of a locking cap with no lock, i would like to get two the same and keyed alike.

I searched and only found a thread on fixing leaking caps.

Cheers
March 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
I've got one of the original locking caps which no longer locks, it also leaks when the tank is anywhere near full.
I have fitted new seals to the existing cap which only slowed the leaks down, didn't stop them.
I asked Alan at Oka if he had any new ones and he said they are no longer available but they did have a retrofit kit which involved welding a short neck onto the existing setup and then it used a normal type cap which was freely available.
One day when I feel like it I'll pull the tank off and do exactly that with a neck and cap off a Landcruiser traytop or something similar that is freely available as it seems the only logical solution, gets the cap up away from the fuel for a start and seals properly into the bargain.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 10, 2012 at 8:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
Sounds like it might be easier. Be a good time to do it when the cab is off for the engine conversion, just got to sell the Patrol to fund the trip and time off work.
March 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nomad
Moose, The fuel caps are readily available through any number of suppliers of Landrover parts. They are Landrover Defender caps and if you want locking caps ask for part# STC4072. I paid $40.00 each but you may pick them up cheaper somewhere.
--
David & Christina Wight - Nomad Refrigeration - OKA267

March 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
Thanks heaps Nomad, just ordered a couple. Used to have one of those things too, never again.

March 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Moose, if/when you get the caps and prove they fit well, let us know so we can add this info to the Parts and Suppliers list. Leaking caps is a common problem.
I superglued the broken plastic bits inside the cap so they are OK now but ultimately they'll need replacing.
Also we "lost" 40 L of fuel when parked in Kununurra so locks would be useful.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

March 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Both filler necks on mine had small blobs of solder on the mating face. Carefully filing them off flat and putting some extra wave in the wave washer behind the rubber seal fixed the dripping problem.
I've asked the ebay seller if they are available keyed alike so will post his reply here
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

March 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
When they arrive and have been tested i'll let you guys know. I asked about getting two keyed alike and it was a no go.

Just an FYI, i was in the UES store in Darwin the other day and saw some caps that looked very similar in there, didn't have the OKA to test though.

Can't find it on the website though, will get a part number next time i'm up there, bugger of a shop, so much good stuff

March 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
I've done away with the old tanks and built some new ones 135 ltrs each and fitted them with Nissan locking fuel caps and nozzles, did not want anyone to pinch the fuel when not near the vehicle cheers Peter
March 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
It's likely you'd be able to get the local locksmith to fiddle with them to have them be keyed alike. I have six locking hitch pins, the Hayman Reese type of thing, that I gave to a locksmith to 'fix' - and it was done - now just one key required and suits all six. They objected at first, said it couldn't be done, but I pestered them to give it a try. That probably cost me $50 more but it was worth it.
--
Hal

March 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick Whitworth
Peter 334 at March 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Ive done away with the old tanks and built some new ones 135 ltrs each and fitted them with nissan locking fuel caps and nozzles, did not want anyone to pinch the fuel when not near the vehical cheers peter
Peter,
how did you go about the new tanks?
I would like to upgrade driver's side on #149
..can't do passenger side because of air step and shower base in entry
round tank is a waste of space but it should be easy to modify mountings to take square straps. Have done some scrounging but cannot find squre tank that fits. Looks like I would need to have one made.
Would appreciate any details on your upgrade
cheers
Rick
March 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Rick, check out Brian Carr's tanks on #203 for custom built - there's a bit of capacity there:

--
Hal

March 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick Whitworth
Hal,
real nice job, but a bit beyond my welding ability!
Rick
March 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Don't fueltanks have to be certified? They usually have a serial number stamped somewhere don't they?
March 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick Whitworth
Alister McBride at March 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Don't fueltanks have to be certified? They usually have a serial number stamped somewhere don't they?
Alister
Not aware of any certification requirements but it would make sense. I have just had my passenger tank out and there was no evidence of any number stamped on it, maybe long since painted over
Rick
March 29, 2012 at 3:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
The tanks i had built was by and friend that is a pressure welder and the best i know, they are made of thicker material all round it will take a lot to destroy them , and yes i also did not find any markings on the orignal tanks either , the tanks are same length just larger in dia, and putting the fill up point away from the tank gives you more fill up , used the same mount design but made it suit the new ones ,I put the tanks both sides and a few mods was needed to the air step, the air lift was changed to the opposite side fitted new mount and reversed all other parts ,a bit of work but nothing to hard , also mine are shinny/ cheers peter
March 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You can also get poly tanks made for diesel, they will make them any shape and config you want. Just about every car on the road has a plastic fuel tank these days.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
"putting the fill up point away from the tank gives you more fill up ,"

Might pay to check whether the tank breather lines are now full of diesel - and whether any of it is getting into diffs or gearboxes
--
Tony

March 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Maybe don't bother since the fuel tank vents are separate from the rest of the vents.
--
Tony

March 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

But along the same lines there has to be some air space in the tank when "full" otherwise on a hot day it will overflow if not in use. I've had similar problems on Toyota troopies when you fill both tanks to the gunnels for a desert trip and then run on say the rear tank first. The travel motion plus heat of the day causes the fuel in the main tank to eventually overflow either out the filler neck or through the charcoal canister. Easily solved by runing on the second tank for while but then when you do have to swap tanks you aren't quite sure how full the second tank is ;-))
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 30, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Fuel caps
« Previous 1 2

My new fuel cap just arrived from Pommy land (bought from the ebay link above) fits perfectly and can be locked! Hopefully it won't leak either.:)
--
Oka 374 LT Van

March 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
I think you are confused with what i mean by putting the fill up point away from the tank, its not stuck to the side of the vehical,but still on the tanks but 6 inchess away on a neck and on the same angle as the old ones, my tanks do not run on the same breather so as diesel getting into the diffs or anyhting else i dont think so .... cheers peter
March 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick Whitworth
Peter,
yes, #149 also has separate breathers for running gear and tanks as per manual
...nice to have friend who is pressure tank welder! ...I fancy a shiny tank,
don't like poly for main diesel tank so guess I'll keep looking for someone to make one
Rick
March 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
My fuel caps arrived the other day, don't seem to fit. They are extremely tight and won't turn, might have to get the flap disc on the filler neck when the body is off, just have to block the hole while doing it.
April 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nomad
That's interesting??? Is there a difference between the XT & LT? Is it the filler neck? Is it the caps? Are the caps that fitted 374 the same part# ?
Not being a comedian here, you seem very capable, but you did unlock them before trying to fit them? Didn't you???
--

April 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
Yes i did:D
They are the same part number from earlier in the thread. No idea if there is a difference in the XT and LT though, possibility, or should that be probability.
April 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nomad
I'll run with probably, especially given Peter & Sandra seem to have used that same part number, from the same supplier you used, and theirs fitted (is that right?). If that's the case are the XT caps even a Landrover item then?
--

April 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290637023339
This is the one i ordered, can any other XT owners confirm theirs are the same?

Ahh, pic won't show
April 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Thatis the one I put on the watch list following earlier posts
--
Tony

April 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The one from ebay was identical to the one already fitted to 374 even down to the key being the same brand and markings on it, apart from the actual key number it was identical. Fitted perfectly and I can now lock the fuel cap.
See this ebay auction for the details 290637023339 , the part number is STC4072
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 5, 2012 at 7:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
Just to update this a bit.

I went to UES again today to get the part number of the fuel cap i saw in there which was similar to the OKA one.
P/N - 602935
A bit of a plug for the service in the Darwin shop too, i told him i bought 2 from the UK and they didn't fit, he then showed me an adapter ring that can be welded onto the existing neck, probably over the current one so no cutting. The ring is made for the caps at UES and fit perfectly.

He then gave me one to try out, even though the OKA wasn't with me and i told him i lived in Katherine and was leaving soon, he siad it's alright, ring up and pay over the phone or post it back, excellent service, i gave him my name and phone number, that's all he wanted.
I'll update again when i get back to Katherine next week.

(Sold the Patrol too, woohoo):)
April 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Ok, to answer my earlier question about whether new fuel tanks have to be certified i found this roadworthy regulation (for victoria) on the Vicroads website:
"Fuel System
Fuel tanks must be securely mounted and the fuel system including fuel lines and filler pipes must not project beyond the widest part of the vehicle.
Additional or replacement fuel tanks must be at least of an equivalent standard to the original tanks and not affect the vehicle’s compliance with evaporative emission or other provisions.
All fuel lines, vent lines, pumps, valves and fittings must be secure, free of leaks, adequately protected from damage and must not chafe or rub against each other or other parts of the vehicle.
Fuel filler caps must be secure and seal properly. Plastic emergency fuel filler caps are not acceptable."
So, what is the definition of 'an equivalent standard'? Don't you love lawyers! At some stage i'll be replacing mine. I figure just changing to a 350x450x1100mm rectangular tank (roughly same dimensions as the round tanks) gives you 70L extra in each tank... Might check what stainless sheet is going for... Anyone know what the wall thickness is on the current tanks?
July 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister be careful making the tanks out of stainless as unless they are made correctly and well braced/baffled internally they do seem to fatigue more readily than plain steel leading to leaks down the track. Ask anyone who has had stainless water tanks made for their van/motorhome/caravan what eventually seems to happen with them. The round stainless tanks on trucks are round for a reason, it removes most of the stress and fatigue points.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

July 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Thanks for that info... Makes sense then why Oka went with round stainless tanks instead of using the extra capacity there. And also why my stainless 'oka' water tank has so many baffles in it!
What about rust etc with mild steel? I suppose most current cars have mild steel tanks (if they're metal rather than plastic anyway) so it should last...
July 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steel tanks on cars usually have a coating on the inside to stop corrosion but these days you would find most are plastic as they can be moulded to get maximum capacity in a small space.
Mild steel tanks would be ok as long as the outside was well painted, doubt whether internal corrosion would be a problem as once diesel had touched the surface I doubt whether it would ever rust. could be a problem if the tank sat for long periods with little or no fuel in it though.
I had my aux tank made out of 2mm aluminium, holds 130 litres and sits beside the auto and transfer case where the standard oka water tank goes. Basically just a big rectangular box, well baffled and I've had a few diesel tanks made out of alloy over the years and never had a problem with fatigue as the alloy stays flexible unlike the stainless. Never mount tanks with brackets as they will fatigue, use straps to hold them in.
374 only had one fuel tank as the RHS has a heavy shelf for a battery bank in its first life with the RAAF which now has two water tanks so made the aux tank to go underneath.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

July 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.